Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 12-13-2009, 09:53 PM

Default "Mere Christianity" by C.S Lewis

Have been reading this book and would wholly recommend it to ya'll on here.

The wonderful writer C.S Lewis (Chronicles of Narnia), a former agnostic was invited by the BBC over radio to basically talk about Christianity, what it means and so forth.

It was done in an informal way and later transcribed into book form and retains this informal element.

It truly is a great read, has anyone else read it?

Something that interested me was that he briefly mentions that ancient heathen Greeks, Old Testament Jews and great christian teachers of the middle ages all spoke against the dangers of ursury (lending money at interest)

And it seems funny that the basis for all our economies is precisely that, investment. This interested me when I look at what caused the recession and so much misery. All that paper money beweilders me, seriously what do Investment Banks do!!!!!!!!

Anyway, it talks much more about other points and is brilliant!
Old 12-13-2009, 11:40 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

ive never read it. I'm sorry.

I read one of his books about beams of light or something...It felt like he was a modern mystic or something...but I never really got round to reading him after the Narnia stuff
Old 12-14-2009, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
ive never read it. I'm sorry.

I read one of his books about beams of light or something...It felt like he was a modern mystic or something...but I never really got round to reading him after the Narnia stuff
I think I mentioned this to you before, Tyburn. I can't believe you haven't read Lewis. Probably the best-known Christian writer of the 20th century, who just happens to be an Anglican and an Englishman of Scottish ancestry and you haven't read him?!? Are you referring to "The Weight of Glory"? Here is a link to a pdf of the text of his original sermon - it is 9 pages long. http://www.doxaweb.com/assets/doxa.pdf
Old 12-14-2009, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonlion View Post
Have been reading this book and would wholly recommend it to ya'll on here.

The wonderful writer C.S Lewis (Chronicles of Narnia), a former agnostic was invited by the BBC over radio to basically talk about Christianity, what it means and so forth.

It was done in an informal way and later transcribed into book form and retains this informal element.

It truly is a great read, has anyone else read it?

Something that interested me was that he briefly mentions that ancient heathen Greeks, Old Testament Jews and great christian teachers of the middle ages all spoke against the dangers of ursury (lending money at interest)

And it seems funny that the basis for all our economies is precisely that, investment. This interested me when I look at what caused the recession and so much misery. All that paper money beweilders me, seriously what do Investment Banks do!!!!!!!!

Anyway, it talks much more about other points and is brilliant!
Yes. You should read everything you can by Lewis. They sell editions of his books that have several of his books in one volume.

I don't know enough to answer your question about usury. I think that usury involved interest payments that would be equivalent to the modern-day "loan shark".

Last edited by Play The Man; 12-14-2009 at 05:16 AM.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:03 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man View Post
I think I mentioned this to you before, Tyburn. I can't believe you haven't read Lewis. Probably the best-known Christian writer of the 20th century, who just happens to be an Anglican and an Englishman of Scottish ancestry and you haven't read him?!? Are you referring to "The Weight of Glory"? Here is a link to a pdf of the text of his original sermon - it is 9 pages long. http://www.doxaweb.com/assets/doxa.pdf
He's not really an Anglican, he's more of a Modern day Christian Mystic, his theology is WAY to deep to be Anglican That maybe what he calls himself, but his writings...and that is a fine example, though I'm not sure it was the one I was thinking of...is Christian Mysticism. He's a modern day Contemplative...very rare...but also take a lot of dissemination to understand exactly what he's going on about

Shall we go through it
Old 12-14-2009, 03:33 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
He's not really an Anglican, he's more of a Modern day Christian Mystic, his theology is WAY to deep to be Anglican That maybe what he calls himself, but his writings...and that is a fine example, though I'm not sure it was the one I was thinking of...is Christian Mysticism. He's a modern day Contemplative...very rare...but also take a lot of dissemination to understand exactly what he's going on about

Shall we go through it
No, Lewis is NOT a "Christian Mystic" by any stretch of the imagination. Dave, you read one of his books a long time ago, didn't understand it & are now trying to teach us about his theology? C'mon man, I know you're smarter than that. He uses a lot of allegory in his writings, but if you know that he's a Christian Apologetist from the outset, it's easy to see what he's trying to say.

I think you'd also like the Screwtape Letters.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:20 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
No, Lewis is NOT a "Christian Mystic" by any stretch of the imagination. Dave, you read one of his books a long time ago, didn't understand it & are now trying to teach us about his theology? C'mon man, I know you're smarter than that. He uses a lot of allegory in his writings, but if you know that he's a Christian Apologetist from the outset, it's easy to see what he's trying to say.

I think you'd also like the Screwtape Letters.
No, he's definately a contemplative. I've studied a few of them, and a lot of his writings are strange...do you even know what a Christian Mystic is Ben
Old 12-14-2009, 04:46 PM
billwilliams70

Lewis' books are fantastic. "The Screwtape Letters" is one of the best. He's a deep thinker and thought provoker.

I suggest anyone read his books.

As far as Christian Mystics go......doesn't the Gospel of St. John present a mystic's view of the life and works of Jesus?

Later.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:49 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

The first problem I have with the first page is that Lewis is not adding in the obviousness of Temporal Living...its missed in the flippantly used word "Ultimately"

In many ways, the Christian life is all about death, or what happens after death, of which the actual technicalities of Heaven are both subjective almost entirely, and secondly probably uncomprehendable to a Human in the mortal coil.

Its all very well saying that our ultimate wants and desires might be fulfilled, or that there is something attractive waiting for us, if you dont stress that the waiting bit might be 100 years of pain first. Cross comes before Salvation, work comes before the reward.

I am not deeply encouraged about how things will all work out alright in the end, because it wont matter once we die and are with GOD, it wont be important then, all that will be important then, will be being in His presence for Eternity.

What the majority of us probably feel like is that we really would appreciate an advancement I guess. Some help, some reward, some heaven right now...as we struggle through the monoteny of every day living.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:51 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilliams70 View Post
Lewis' books are fantastic. "The Screwtape Letters" is one of the best. He's a deep thinker and thought provoker.

I suggest anyone read his books.

As far as Christian Mystics go......doesn't the Gospel of St. John present a mystic's view of the life and works of Jesus?

Later.

Yes, The Gospel according to Saint John is definately written in the style of a Mystic/Contemplative. I like this account, its probably my favourite to be honnest