Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 12-10-2009, 08:02 AM
GnP

Default Lesnar update

Brock Lesnarís head coach is telling him to rest and relax, whether he likes it or not.

Greg Nelson, a two-time cancer survivor who leads Lesnarís fight camps along with Erik Paulson and Marty Morgan, said the UFC heavyweight champ is still recovering from a severe case of diverticulitis (an infection in the digestive tract), but wants to get back into the gym.

Last Friday, UFC president Dana White sent a Twitter message that Lesnar was "still VERY sick" and the promotion was "unsure about his future."

Nelson, who recently returned from teaching several seminars in Spain, gave an update to MMAWeekly.com on Tuesday afternoon. He declined comment on a potential interim heavyweight title posed by White in recent weeks.

MMAWeekly: Whatís the latest on Brock?

Nelson: Heís feeling much better, but heís still on the mend and not really doing any kind of major training.

MMAWeekly: Is he out of bed?

Nelson: Yeah, heís walking around and moving around. Heís not ready to jump into that cage, thatís for sure at this point. But heís got his new baby, so itís time for him to hang out with his son and his daughter, get some quality time on that end of life.

MMAWeekly: Did he ever go to the Mayo Clinic?

Nelson: No, he never went there.

MMAWeekly: But the final diagnosis was diverticulitis?

Nelson: Yeah, that was pretty much the deal, and everything that goes on with that.

MMAWeekly: As far as you know, when do you think heís going to be able to start training again?

Nelson: Iím not 100-percent sure right now. Weíre not really pushing it right now. Weíre just letting things take their course so he can be 100-percent healthy when he starts to train. Heíll probably start lifting weights to get his strength built up and do the exercise bike when he starts to get going, and shadowbox when he gets to feel better. But right now, heís just taking the time to properly heal.

Heís real anxious of course, but thatís the worst thing you can do, is jump up and start going too quick and then break down again. Itís more of a burden for him to sit at home and not work out, but thatís the thing he has to do right now.

MMAWeekly: So youíve advised him to take it easy?

Nelson: Mentally, he wants to get back in there. He wants to jump in. You get a guy like that whoís used to being able to do whatever and moving around and train, throw hay around, whatever he wants to do, then youíre stuck inside your house... thatís tough. Mentally, itís tough.

MMAWeekly: Has he talked to you about how his day-to-day life is now?

Nelson: Not really. Heís not a guy to jump on the phone and start talking to you.

MMAWeekly: How often do you talk to him?

Nelson: I think I talked to him a couple weeks ago, and I hear stuff if Martyís talked to him or one of the other guys has talked to him. Heís one of those guys, if he wants to pick up the phone and talk to you, heíll pick up the phone and talk to you. But generally, heís one of these guys who likes his privacy.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:51 PM

This makes me question Dana White. I mean, cmon.. Dana was talking like this guy was on the brink of death! I'm not trying to diminish this guys illness or anything but Dana seems to have embillished it quite a bit.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:55 PM
Crisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by F34R View Post
This makes me question Dana White. I mean, cmon.. Dana was talking like this guy was on the brink of death! I'm not trying to diminish this guys illness or anything but Dana seems to have embillished it quite a bit.
He's marketing Brocks next title fight.

It will be biggest UFC PPV EVER.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:25 PM
KevinD

Brock is the "best eva"
Old 12-10-2009, 05:52 PM
GnP

Quote:
Originally Posted by F34R View Post
The way Dana has built this up I am half expecting there to be an interim title fight hapening and as one guy is about to win Brocks music starts he comes charging down and woops both there asses holds the belt above his head and flips off the crowd
Old 12-10-2009, 06:14 PM

I *did* think it was a little silly when Dana talked about him going to the Mayo Clinic. As if the hospitals by Brock weren't capable of talking care of him, or something.

The good news is that this is pretty straightforward surgery and probably done thousands of times every day in the US. He will need at least 2 mos recovery before he starts any serious training, IMO.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
I *did* think it was a little silly when Dana talked about him going to the Mayo Clinic. As if the hospitals by Brock weren't capable of talking care of him, or something.

The good news is that this is pretty straightforward surgery and probably done thousands of times every day in the US. He will need at least 2 mos recovery before he starts any serious training, IMO.
It'll be longer than 2 months before he can do serious training. Light training then maybe. It depends on how the surgery goes. Regular training for him may not be allowed for 4 months or more. It's too easy to injure a fresh surgical site and the guts nothing to monkey around with.

~Amy
Old 12-10-2009, 06:25 PM
atomdanger

diverticulitis?

What I've read on this so far does not sound like "may never fight again" material.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger View Post
diverticulitis?

What I've read on this so far does not sound like "may never fight again" material.

He may be required to be on a liquid diet during flare ups which could affect his training and may alter the fight dates but is mostly just a painful condition that will require a proper diet.

~Amy
Old 12-10-2009, 07:24 PM

Thanks for the info, Amy, I figured it would be awhile until he could train. I remember how little I could do at first but I've tried to shut all that out so it's all a blur.