Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Entertainment

Old 12-09-2009, 06:15 PM

Default Protests over "Jersey Shore"

http://www.thrfeed.com/2009/12/mtvs-...d-threats.html

Quote:
MTV's 'Jersey Shore' gains protesters, loses ads

The ruckus over MTV's "Jersey Shore" is getting as intense as the hot-headed dramatics on the show.

The controversial new reality series chronicling a spirited group of self-described "guidos" living in a New Jersey beach house has drawn protests of increasing volume from critics. Now it appears calls for a boycott are having an impact.

The Italian-American group UNICO (the same group that protested HBO's "The Sopranos") has asked members to complain to MTV's advertisers. In the past couple days, two advertisers on the show -- Domino's Pizza and American Family Insurance -- have pulled out of the series.

In addition, one major media outlet reported that MTV New York offices were receiving death threats due to the show (the network has denied the report).

"['Jersey Shore' furthers] the popular TV notion that Italian-Americans are gel-haired, thuggish, ignoramuses with fake tans, no manners, no diction, no taste, no education, no sexual discretion, no hairdressers (for sure), no real knowledge of Italian culture and no ambition beyond expanding steroid- and silicone-enhanced bodies," blasted NY Post critic Linda Stasi on Monday. "Would that programming ever have been allowed if the group were African-Americans, Asians, Hispanics, Jewish people?"

President of programming Tony DiSanto, an Italian-American, has remained largely mum on the subject, though he told one group, "The cast takes pride in their ethnicity. In fact, it is a key driver of how they bond with each other and self-identify. They refer to themselves as 'guidos' in a positive manner."

Instead, former "Hills" cast member Spencer Pratt, of all people, defended the network on Twitter: "Linda Stasi you should change your name to Linda Boring if you can't be entertained by young Italian-Americans enjoying youth and partying!"

The initial round of criticism didn't seem to help "Jersey Shore," which debuted last Thursday to a relatively modest 1.4 million viewers.

A clip from an MTV teaser from an upcoming episode making the rounds online showing a man punching out one of the female housemates ("Snookie") is only adding to the drama (see right), but it's unclear if any of the conflict -- on or off screen -- will improve the show's ratings.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:00 PM
County Mike

I saw an animated .gif of the dude punching the woman. Haven't seen the show but it sounds like something I'd watch only to make fun of it.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:36 PM
Crisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
I saw an animated .gif of the dude punching the woman. Haven't seen the show but it sounds like something I'd watch only to make fun of it.
I felt stupid watching it. I had to change to every couple of seconds to catch my breathe. I gave up after 3 minutes.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:57 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Synopsis of the show...
Old 12-10-2009, 08:52 PM
Stump Rules!

Classy

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 12-10-2009, 09:02 PM
Crisco

That punch was all shoulder if that chick goes down shes a sissy
Old 12-11-2009, 12:00 AM
Stump Rules!

It deosnt look like she went down.Her back just didn't bend that far. I'll bet she can back to win with some gNp and then a RNC

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 12-11-2009, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Synopsis of the show...
Looks like they're still keeping the hair gel industry in the black.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:54 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
Looks like they're still keeping the hair gel industry in the black.
and the spray-tan industry
Old 12-14-2011, 02:05 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

The success of this show proves that we are all doomed to Idiocracy. Mike Judge was right!