Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 12-07-2009, 07:16 PM
snakerattle79

Default Dana: "I Pushed Dan Henderson Into Signing With Strikeforce"

http://mma.fanhouse.com/2009/12/07/d...h-strikeforce/

As Dan Henderson's free-agent flirtations with both Strikeforce and the UFC continued without resolution for the last few months, many seemed torn about whether the veteran would eventually return to the UFC.

UFC President Dana White, however, was not one of those people. Telling FanHouse that Henderson's decision-making process forced him to change negotiating strategy and that he ultimately pushed Henderson into signing with Strikeforce, White made it clear that losing Henderson was not a big blow to his organization.

"He's happy, but the reality is that I pushed him into signing that deal," White told FanHouse. "I told people over the weekend that he'd sign within the next week."
More: Dan Henderson Headed to Strikeforce

White says that while he originally entered negotiations in good faith, after three or four meetings with Henderson and his management, he realized it was unlikely the two sides would come to terms. Eventually, he lowered his original offer, effectively forcing Henderson's hand in signing with Strikeforce.

"I wanted him to s**t or get off the pot," he said. "He was in this limbo forever, and he needed more motivation to make a decision.

"Let me ask you a question," he continued. "Do you think that there's any guy we can't get that I want? Other than Fedor [Emelianenko]? So far, he's been the one guy we can't get. But everyone else that we've wanted, we got. If I wanted Dan Henderson, I could've signed him."

Henderson (25-7) became a free agent after his UFC 100 win over Michael Bisping in July. Despite the fact that Henderson is a former PRIDE champion and took part in high-profile UFC bouts with Anderson Silva, Quinton "Rampage" Jackson and Rich Franklin, White says that his addition will actually hurt Strikeforce.

"For the money he wanted, he's not worth it," he said. "He's not a big pay-per-view star, he's not a big attraction, and he's not going to sell out arenas. He wants way too much and he doesn't bring anything to the table."

Although he added there are no hard feelings between the UFC and Henderson, White virtually closed the door on a potential return in the future, saying Henderson's age (39) would probably work against that.

He was not as kind with Strikeforce, saying it was another move that would lead to more problems for the upstart organization.

"Nothing's going to help Strikeforce," he said. "They have too many fighters under contract and not enough events. They can't keep some of their obligations to fighters already. Either they're going to start breaching contracts or paying fighters not to fight. It'll take a lot more than one guy to help them. Their whole business model is f****d. They're coming after UFC? Yeah, OK.

"I could care less," he continued. "Here's the reality: If I wanted him, he'd be in the UFC. It's not like, 'F***, Strikeforce beat me out.' He's been a free agent for a long time. If I wanted him, I would have signed him by now."

****Butthurt in disguise****
Old 12-07-2009, 07:19 PM

no hard feelings until Dan reads this article, he means...

[
Old 12-07-2009, 07:40 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Pride comes before a Fall Mr White
Old 12-07-2009, 07:43 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Definitely butthurt...
Old 12-07-2009, 07:48 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter View Post
no hard feelings until Dan reads this article, he means...
Dana's right, Hendo isn't a huge PPV attraction by any means, he's a great fighter though. I agree with you on the above statement, I was thinking the same thing.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:55 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
Dana's right, Hendo isn't a huge PPV attraction by any means, he's a great fighter though. I agree with you on the above statement, I was thinking the same thing.
Yeah, he may not be a huge draw, but I doubt what he was asking for was absurd. Oh well, good for Dan, he will probably make more money this way.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:02 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Yeah, he may not be a huge draw, but I doubt what he was asking for was absurd. Oh well, good for Dan, he will probably make more money this way.
I'm sure it wasn't absurd either. Dana's worth 200 million dollars, he's banking way too much money compared to what the fighters are earning. Even Vince McMahon at his highest (that I can remember) was very close to 500,000 and he's been in business 3 times as long as Dana and his wrestlers got paid tons more than the UFC fighters.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:05 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
I'm sure it wasn't absurd either. Dana's worth 200 million dollars, he's banking way too much money compared to what the fighters are earning. Even Vince McMahon at his highest (that I can remember) was very close to 500,000 and he's been in business 3 times as long as Dana and his wrestlers got paid tons more than the UFC fighters.
Oh brother, you are way off on that one... Vinny Mac is a certified BILLIONAIRE.

He got that status not long before he started the XFL...oh crap...maybe your right....

No really, Vinny Mac is worth WAY more than Dana White is, no doubt.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:15 PM
atomdanger

I love how classless the President of a company looks,
and the cagefighter(Hendo) has a statement like this.

"I'm very happy to be a part of Strikeforce and their partnership with CBS and Showtime. Strikeforce and its growing roster of world class talent will offer me many exciting fights and has the ability to bring many new fans from all around the world to mixed martial arts. I am grateful to Scott Coker for the opportunity to help make this happen and for treating me with the utmost respect throughout our negotiations. Id also like to thank Dana (White) and the UFC for the opportunities they provided me and I wish them ongoing success. Ill continue to watch their events and I hope theyll tune in to my fights in Strikeforce. After all, Im a true fan of our fantastic sport and would love only to see MMA continue to grow."
Old 12-07-2009, 08:16 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Oh brother, you are way off on that one... Vinny Mac is a certified BILLIONAIRE.

He got that status not long before he started the XFL...oh crap...maybe your right....

No really, Vinny Mac is worth WAY more than Dana White is, no doubt.
Vince fell off the billionaire list back in 2001 and hasn't recovered since (forgot he was worth that much at one time):
http://www.forbes.com/2001/06/22/bil...ffs_print.html

Anyways, his current estimated value is approx. 570 million:
http://wrestlinginc.com/news/wi/2009...on/index.shtml

Here's the list for 2009, he's not on it: http://www.forbes.com/lists/2009/54/...cans_Rank.html