Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 12-08-2009, 02:03 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
Not really, I'd only done 1 interview prior to getting a job at Gates Rubber Company back when I was 23. With only 90 hours of college, I was able to get a lab position there with zero experience over candidates who had already been working there in other positions, have degrees, and some of which already had prior experience working in lab positions (15 candidates including myself).

There wasn't much to it. I told them and showed them why I was the person for the job, and made them believe it as well. The interview and effort put forth to excel in the interview far outweighs experience IMO.

Sorry, now I sound arrogant, just making a point really, lol

Again, I always say people respond well to those who know themselves and are confidant in what they can achieve in life. Some see it as cockiness and arrogance but if it's true and proven time and time again, it's a positive thing.

~Amy
Old 12-08-2009, 04:40 AM
donaldbreland

I had to google why are tennis balls fuzzy so here is the answer.

The fuzz slows down the ball in flight, keeps it from bouncing too high, and lets
the racket get a better "grip" on it. A perfectly smooth ball would travel so fast
and bounce so high that the game would be unplayable. Also, with a smooth
ball, it would be much more difficult for the player to control the direction of
the shots.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:43 AM
donaldbreland

I guess this theory could be used for man holes as well.

Why are portholes round.

The constant up-and-down motion of a ship puts considerable stress on the ship's skin, or outer covering. If portholes were designed

with angles, this stress would tend to concentrate at those points and perhaps crack the skin. With round portholes such stress is evenly

distributed around the holes, making it less likely for such cracks to occur.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
Not really, I'd only done 1 interview prior to getting a job at Gates Rubber Company back when I was 23. With only 90 hours of college, I was able to get a lab position there with zero experience over candidates who had already been working there in other positions, have degrees, and some of which already had prior experience working in lab positions (15 candidates including myself).

There wasn't much to it. I told them and showed them why I was the person for the job, and made them believe it as well. The interview and effort put forth to excel in the interview far outweighs experience IMO.

Sorry, now I sound arrogant, just making a point really, lol
So was I.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN View Post
So all you folks out there have either been on interviews or have even been the one doing the interviewing. So please share with me any interviewing tips you have. I interview people here for jobs and am new to it so I'm curious about how other people conduct theirs. Things I need to really carefull assess: teamwork, motivation, energy level, strengths and weaknesses, how they handle stress, and job satisfaction.

My brother was asked once in an interview, "Why are manhole covers round?" He's a respiratory therapist. He was like and then . He called me later to see what I would have answered and I told him it's because the hole is round which means the cover has to be round. He told them because a round cover won't fall in whereas a square or rectangular one could. There are several ways to answer the question and evidently it determines your thought process.

~Amy
I looked this up and your brother was right. They also said because they are easy to roll when taking them off and putting them back which is what I was thinking.

Smart brother.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:59 AM
County Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldbreland View Post
I had to google why are tennis balls fuzzy so here is the answer.

The fuzz slows down the ball in flight, keeps it from bouncing too high, and lets
the racket get a better "grip" on it. A perfectly smooth ball would travel so fast
and bounce so high that the game would be unplayable. Also, with a smooth
ball, it would be much more difficult for the player to control the direction of
the shots.