Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 12-07-2009, 06:24 PM
Shane Lee 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar View Post
He isn't fat anywhere but his belly. Do you think he is possibly in better physical condition than your average skinny person who doesn't work out?

ps Read your post and then your siggie. Sorry couldn't resist pointing that out.

He is certainly in better shape than your average skinny person. I have taken 22 year old guys that are ripped and say they work out and have good cardio and they couldn’t last 2 minutes sparring with me or just doing my MMA workout. They would be outside puking. MMA works your body a whole different way.
He may not be eating right or it could possibly be genetics but he is in shape and in better cardio shape than allot of guys that look way better.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:26 PM
Blade

Roy Nelson's only exciting to watch when he's getting bounced off the cage by an Arlovski right hand. Maybe if he gets a 'KO (Big Splash)' on his record I'll change my opinion, but to be honest no-one with a gut like that is gonna get very far in the UFC.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:38 PM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Lee 2 View Post
He is certainly in better shape than your average skinny person. I have taken 22 year old guys that are ripped and say they work out and have good cardio and they couldn’t last 2 minutes sparring with me or just doing my MMA workout. They would be outside puking. MMA works your body a whole different way.
He may not be eating right or it could possibly be genetics but he is in shape and in better cardio shape than allot of guys that look way better.
Great points! Back before cancer I was in great shape but still according to the BMI fat. I could often out run out play and out do many skinny people in many sports. I admit I was not healthy but cardio wise I did well even being fat. Some people just do not like sit ups LoL. Now I would not last 2 seconds. Looks are not everything this is MMA and the UFC not WWE.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:41 PM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
Roy Nelson's only exciting to watch when he's getting bounced off the cage by an Arlovski right hand. Maybe if he gets a 'KO (Big Splash)' on his record I'll change my opinion, but to be honest no-one with a gut like that is gonna get very far in the UFC.
Seeing how he has out grappled Mir and KO'd a few not sure how you can claim that now. Also until the good shot landed Roy was holding his own well. I think he will do well but not ready for the elite HW's
Old 12-07-2009, 10:00 PM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

I continue to be amazed by the ignorance of so called MMA fans! For those that like to hate him for his belly I got a news flash! This is MMA not Body Building or the tattoo show! If you can step in the cage and fight that's more important than your look. If great abs made a the fighter Kongo would be champ! And unless Kongo has improved alot since last time I seen him fight Roy is alot more well rounded! Roy is good at avoiding punishment in the stand up and has enough power to knock Folk's out if he catches them clean. On the ground Roy has proven his skill and has even got a BJJ black belt! Roy has knocked Folk's out both standing and on the ground! I ain't saying he's ready for Brock quite yet but don't sell him short! As for his weird Al intro music,I got a kick out of it myself!
Old 12-07-2009, 10:11 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENTUCKYREDBONE View Post
I continue to be amazed by the ignorance of so called MMA fans! For those that like to hate him for his belly I got a news flash! This is MMA not Body Building or the tattoo show! If you can step in the cage and fight that's more important than your look. If great abs made a the fighter Kongo would be champ! And unless Kongo has improved alot since last time I seen him fight Roy is alot more well rounded! Roy is good at avoiding punishment in the stand up and has enough power to knock Folk's out if he catches them clean. On the ground Roy has proven his skill and has even got a BJJ black belt! Roy has knocked Folk's out both standing and on the ground! I ain't saying he's ready for Brock quite yet but don't sell him short! As for his weird Al intro music,I got a kick out of it myself!
Roy's fat

see?

On another note, I think it'll be hilarious if he walks in with Burger King written on his shorts for his next fight. To see Burger King sponsor a UFC fighter would be awesome!
Old 12-07-2009, 10:19 PM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
Roy's fat

see?

On another note, I think it'll be hilarious if he walks in with Burger King written on his shorts for his next fight. To see Burger King sponsor a UFC fighter would be awesome!
That should be his next Topps card. Then they could include a whopper wrapper from that night.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:35 PM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post

That would be funny! Maybe we ought to find a way to Email that suggestion to Burger King!
Old 12-08-2009, 07:41 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENTUCKYREDBONE View Post
That would be funny! Maybe we ought to find a way to Email that suggestion to Burger King!
Darn, no e-mail, only a phone number:

http://www.bk.com/en/us/company-info/contact/index.html
Old 12-08-2009, 08:30 PM

Great article, snakerattle79. Thanks for the post.

That's how I felt too. Dana totally dissed Roy the whole time. Roy never quit or sat out or whined, etc... He came, trained and fought and won the whole shebang.

I know we discussed the whole Dana/Kimbo love fest before, but it still boggles my mind the deference Dana showed Kimbo throughout this whole thing. When Rashad called Dana to tell him about Mitrione, Dana gathers everyone and gives them the "You're here to f***ing fight" speech and then turns to Mitrione and tells him, "Don't think I'm singling you out...". Of course, he was singling him out. He didn't take Mitrione and talk privately to him like he did Kimbo. Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of Mitrione and I hate when guys get on the show and act like that. I do agree with Dana, you're there to fight, to win the contract. But did he have to be so blatant about who his favorite was and how much he disliked Roy.

I think Roy acted the way he did because Dana made it so obvious to him what he thought of him. Like the author of the article said, if Roy had been some tight, toned young stud with abs of steel and showed that kind of confidence in himself, everybody would have given him a nod. In fact, Amy and RockD were just talking about how people look more favorably on those who know who they are and where they're going. But, I guess for a lot of people, they only get as far as Roy's belly and stop looking. He can train just as hard as all those tatooed-hardbodies in the UFC and knock out his opponents left and right, but he still won't get the respect he deserves.

Last edited by Bonnie; 12-09-2009 at 12:17 AM.