Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 12-06-2009, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Banner View Post
Honestly, Mazz followed the rules to the T. The outcome sucked but those are the rules and one of those illegal elbows is what shattered Matts nose, and that was what Mazz was looking at. If Anthony Johnson had knocked Kos out with that illegal knee a few weeks back, Kos would have got the win. Same with those illegal shots Brock Larson threw..

I agree with everybody though, Jones looked incredible last night. I think we are watching the beginnings of one of the next great champs. I am blown away by him. I think one of the coolest things Bones said was he is glad he doesnt have the preasure of being undefeated anymore. You can def tell he's training at GSPs camp, very humble and respectful guy.
He was very humble and that impressed me more than anything else about him. I will be a fan of his now just due to his personality alone. And it's great that he can fight!!!

~Amy
Old 12-06-2009, 04:15 PM
David_Banner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN View Post
He was very humble and that impressed me more than anything else about him. I will be a fan of his now just due to his personality alone. And it's great that he can fight!!!

~Amy

Agreed, its always nice to see good people getting ahead in life
Old 12-08-2009, 11:22 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Banner View Post
Honestly, Mazz followed the rules to the T. The outcome sucked but those are the rules and one of those illegal elbows is what shattered Matts nose, and that was what Mazz was looking at. If Anthony Johnson had knocked Kos out with that illegal knee a few weeks back, Kos would have got the win. Same with those illegal shots Brock Larson threw..

I agree with everybody though, Jones looked incredible last night. I think we are watching the beginnings of one of the next great champs. I am blown away by him. I think one of the coolest things Bones said was he is glad he doesnt have the preasure of being undefeated anymore. You can def tell he's training at GSPs camp, very humble and respectful guy.
i don't know if mazz did the correct thing .... when he called time due to an illegal blow, he shouldn't have waived the fight off because hamill couldn't get up ... that was his big error .... the correct thing would have been to call time and give matt 5 minutes (same thing as a low blow or other illegal blow) at that time if matt couldn't continue, the ref and doctor could have made the correct call (can't continue due to shoulder injury) and jones would have won the fight (and got his fight bonus if any) ... since mazz stopped the fight, they had no choice really to make the second error in calling the fight a DQ ... this is the same thing as a low blow ... someone gets kicked in the nads, if he can't get up right away, they don't stop the fight and call DQ .. .mazz shoulda given the 5 minutes
Old 12-11-2009, 06:59 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by logrus View Post
Should have been stopped earlier if you ask me. Hamill was in the turtle position taking a ton of bombs. .
thats pretty much what Jon Jones said afterwards
Old 12-11-2009, 07:31 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
thats pretty much what Jon Jones said afterwards
yeah, he and his camp are appealing the decision .. they won't win, but they have a good case imo ...
Old 12-11-2009, 07:47 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
yeah, he and his camp are appealing the decision .. they won't win, but they have a good case imo ...
anyone know what Matt Hammil has said to all this
Old 12-11-2009, 07:52 PM
que

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
That's a stupid rule, Jones won that fight.
if it's a stupid rule then he should have been smart enough not to break it.

doesn't matter if you think it's stupid or not. the fact is... it's ILLEGAL and easy to avoid.

especially considering he did it over and over and over consecutively. it's not like he only did it once. he did it MANY times in a row. he had plenty of time to realize what he was doing and change it, but he didn't and the ref had to step in and stop it FOR him.

the expression on his face when mazzagati stopped him was perfect. he was like "oh crap, i just broke the rules!"
Old 12-11-2009, 09:32 PM
Crisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by que View Post

doesn't matter if you think it's stupid or not. the fact is... it's ILLEGAL and easy to avoid.

especially considering he did it over and over and over consecutively. it's not like he only did it once. he did it MANY times in a row. he had plenty of time to realize what he was doing and change it, but he didn't and the ref had to step in and stop it FOR him.

the expression on his face when mazzagati stopped him was perfect. he was like "oh crap, i just broke the rules!"
Na it was more like oh crap I won... Oh **** no I didn't.

It's a NC for sure but the fight should have been stopped earlier.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:25 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by que View Post

nope .... mazz effed up as usual ... he should have not waived off the fight after hamill didn't get up ... he should have given him 5 minutes just like those who have been hit in the nuts ... but he is a moron and waived the fight off .... if he waited he would have known that hamill couldn't continue due to his shoulder and not the illegal blows and jones would have won
Old 12-11-2009, 11:12 PM
kevint13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
nope .... mazz effed up as usual ... he should have not waived off the fight after hamill didn't get up ... he should have given him 5 minutes just like those who have been hit in the nuts ... but he is a moron and waived the fight off .... if he waited he would have known that hamill couldn't continue due to his shoulder and not the illegal blows and jones would have won
The shoulder injury is irrelevant. Mazz looked at Hamil and deemed him not able to continue....think maybe he looked in his eyes and saw it was over? Did Matt Hamil immediately spring to his feet afterwards? It was not the JUST the shoulder injury that kept him lying there for a few minutes.

The call was right based on WHEN and HOW the fight was stopped. I agree with many that it could have been ended earlier, but I guess Matt was defending himself enough.

And note, not all illegal or accidental blows give a fighter 5 minutes to recover....See Lawler/Smith.