Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 12-06-2009, 07:21 AM
flo's Avatar
flo flo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Great Pacific Northwest
Posts: 7,737
Default

This is one of the few fights where I finally had to look away - couldn't take watching any more of those elbows, yikes.

Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-06-2009, 09:06 AM
Buzzard
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
Agreed on both points. I was going to post the same thing but you beat me to it.
Agreed here too. Though Bones manhandled Matt and I was rooting for Matt. Bones has a good future ahead of him I think.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-06-2009, 11:47 AM
Primadawn
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

So wait, someone explain to me...if Hamill had been able to continue, there would have only been a point deducted, but since he couldn't, it was a DQ? Is that right?

Jon Jones is a local guy so I was rooting for him (even against Hamill, whom I love). I don't think this really hurt his career in any way as the fight still showed what a fantastic fighter he is. Frankly, I already can't wait to see him fight again!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-06-2009, 12:18 PM
Blade
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I don't even think the final elbows were illegal, because at least a couple of them might have started travelling in the 12 O' Clock to 6 O' Clock position but by the time they made impact they had slipped off to 7 or 8 O' Clock at the last second. Very disappointing end to an exciting fight, Bones Jones is an awesome fighter, not sure what his chin is like though.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-06-2009, 02:17 PM
wavetar
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primadawn View Post
So wait, someone explain to me...if Hamill had been able to continue, there would have only been a point deducted, but since he couldn't, it was a DQ? Is that right?

That is correct, although many people don't fully understand the implications, since the fight rarely ends at that point. You see it in many fights...'accidental' and 'illegal' shots both allow for up to 5-minutes for recovery, with the accidental not having points taken away (unless it's a case of multiple accidental shots), and the illegal having a point deducted (unless the ref is clueless).

It just goes to show the level of heart & competetivness of the fighters...anytime someone receives an illegal blow they could take the 5 minutes, claim they can't continue, and get the DQ win...but they never do.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-06-2009, 02:21 PM
rearnakedchoke
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavetar View Post
That is correct, although many people don't fully understand the implications, since the fight rarely ends at that point. You see it in many fights...'accidental' and 'illegal' shots both allow for up to 5-minutes for recovery, with the accidental not having points taken away (unless it's a case of multiple accidental shots), and the illegal having a point deducted (unless the ref is clueless).

It just goes to show the level of heart & competetivness of the fighters...anytime someone receives an illegal blow they could take the 5 minutes, claim they can't continue, and get the DQ win...but they never do.
right, but he couldn't continue because of his shoulder .. how can you say the elbows did that ... really who cares, everyone knows jon was on his way to winning that and it should have been stopped earlier ... wonder what dana has to say, seeing as he hates mazz already
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-06-2009, 02:26 PM
wavetar
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
right, but he couldn't continue because of his shoulder .. how can you say the elbows did that ... really who cares, everyone knows jon was on his way to winning that and it should have been stopped earlier ... wonder what dana has to say, seeing as he hates mazz already
Doesn't really matter why he couldn't continue, as the ref had no idea at that point his shoulder was hurt. The explanation of accidental vs. illegal & their implications in a fight stoppage or continuance was correct.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-06-2009, 02:50 PM
Spiritwalker's Avatar
Spiritwalker Spiritwalker is offline
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Gastonia NC
Posts: 4,339
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
Agreed on both points. I was going to post the same thing but you beat me to it.

But did he beat you with a 12 - 6 elbow to the head? That's the question.
__________________
It is because you chose to get on the mat that makes you the winner. Think about how many people are not on that mat right now. - Luis Sucuri Togno
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-06-2009, 02:55 PM
Spiritwalker's Avatar
Spiritwalker Spiritwalker is offline
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Gastonia NC
Posts: 4,339
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
right, but he couldn't continue because of his shoulder .. how can you say the elbows did that ... really who cares, everyone knows jon was on his way to winning that and it should have been stopped earlier ... wonder what dana has to say, seeing as he hates mazz already
Disagree....

Matt was taking some decent shots.. and he was defending.. but when the straight elbows started coming down and the first one hit.. it was over..

On a side note....

a 12 -6 elbow generates a CRAP load of force.. with a dense part of the body that is built like a hammer... (no pun intended)..

in talking with various ligh level martial artists.. and from personal experience.. a 3 - 9 elbow does the same.. No one complains about those...
__________________
It is because you chose to get on the mat that makes you the winner. Think about how many people are not on that mat right now. - Luis Sucuri Togno
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-06-2009, 04:01 PM
David_Banner
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
right, but he couldn't continue because of his shoulder .. how can you say the elbows did that ... really who cares, everyone knows jon was on his way to winning that and it should have been stopped earlier ... wonder what dana has to say, seeing as he hates mazz already
Honestly, Mazz followed the rules to the T. The outcome sucked but those are the rules and one of those illegal elbows is what shattered Matts nose, and that was what Mazz was looking at. If Anthony Johnson had knocked Kos out with that illegal knee a few weeks back, Kos would have got the win. Same with those illegal shots Brock Larson threw..

I agree with everybody though, Jones looked incredible last night. I think we are watching the beginnings of one of the next great champs. I am blown away by him. I think one of the coolest things Bones said was he is glad he doesnt have the preasure of being undefeated anymore. You can def tell he's training at GSPs camp, very humble and respectful guy.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.