Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 12-06-2009, 02:22 PM
rearnakedchoke

the gif is hilarious ... have one of the slam?
Old 12-06-2009, 02:53 PM
Primadawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
that's cuz he has no ground game .... zero ... makes kimbo look good on the ground ....
I know he has no ground game...it just all looked so "obvious". I expected at any minute to see Houston roll his eyes because he couldn't believe Kimbo wasn't taking advantage of the opportunities he was being handed!
Old 12-06-2009, 07:21 PM
Liddellfan

There is NO WAY that Alexander was "supposed to lose". He had a good strategy and seemed a little hesitant to throw with Kimbo. My dad was over when I was watching the fights, he knows absolutely nothing about MMA. When the fight started the first thing he said was "that guy looks scared". Maybe he was a little scared of Kimbos KO power who knows, only he knows that.
I thought Kimbo showed a heck of a lot of improvement. He looks like he is picking up a ground game, he did check a few of the leg kicks but he needs to get a lot better at that. When Kimbo was knocked down from that leg kick, maybe Houston did not go in for the kill because he knows he would of got owned on the ground? That's the first time ever that Kimbo has to cut weight, once he gets used to it he should be in better condition. I am glad to see Kimbo improving and wanting to be a true MMA fighter. Glad to see him win and I hope to see him fight again soon.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:28 PM
donaldbreland

all I am saying is "what ya gonna do when hulkamania and the UFC run wild on you"
Old 12-06-2009, 07:50 PM
Silverback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
Um I have a life

Im also not a Kimbo nut hugger, Im a BJ Penn nut hugger, I am just willing to give him credit. He is 100 times better than he was when I first saw him in EXC.
Yes he is and I for one hope he get's better just to see what he can do
Old 12-06-2009, 08:07 PM
ufcfan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddellfan View Post
There is NO WAY that Alexander was "supposed to lose". He had a good strategy and seemed a little hesitant to throw with Kimbo. My dad was over when I was watching the fights, he knows absolutely nothing about MMA. When the fight started the first thing he said was "that guy looks scared". Maybe he was a little scared of Kimbos KO power who knows, only he knows that.I thought Kimbo showed a heck of a lot of improvement. He looks like he is picking up a ground game, he did check a few of the leg kicks but he needs to get a lot better at that. When Kimbo was knocked down from that leg kick, maybe Houston did not go in for the kill because he knows he would of got owned on the ground? That's the first time ever that Kimbo has to cut weight, once he gets used to it he should be in better condition. I am glad to see Kimbo improving and wanting to be a true MMA fighter. Glad to see him win and I hope to see him fight again soon.
Has Kimbo ever KO'd anyone
Ya, I was a little perplexed at Houstons strategy,but even more that he tried to follow it whatever it was supposed to be..
Anywho, Kimbo did look like he worked on his ground game,but he still needs to work on that gas tank. That one slam was great and I thought the fight was gonna be over at that point..
Old 12-06-2009, 09:54 PM
atomdanger

IMO if he were paid to lose he would have taken shots and gotten KOed,
rather than circled and ran a lot.

Houston was in a weird position prior to this fight,
he had one win, but 3 UFC losses in a row prior to that.
He isn't getting any younger, and obviously is interested in developing new game plans.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:26 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeval View Post
As I watched the fight a thought poped in my little head. Was Huston payed to loose. I mean come on. What king of strategy is it to circle to your right around the ring. The guy usually comes in throwing bombs. Sometimes it works, sometimes it dosen't but thats what he does. That fight was pathetic. I think it is a mistake to have Kimbo in the UFC. Nice cardio by the way.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:52 PM
Shane Lee 2

Default Gameplans/ Payoff/ Marketing ploys

Houston had a gameplan, I believe, to tire Kimbo out since he cut weight and never has. I think he planned to use kicks to work on that bad knee of Kimbo’s. Remember Forrest really beat Rampage this way. However Houston forgot what leg to kick with…… He was using his front leg = No Power….. The times he decided to use his back leg he got results. The front leg is used in Kung Fu and other stand up arts as merely a distraction or irritant to get your focus off.

I don’t know if his corner tried to correct that or not. Additionally, he was frustrating the inexperienced Kimbo into dropping his hands multiple times but he didn’t capitalize on that. And I know he didn’t expect what happened in round two. I have to say I was impressed with Kimbo’s improvement with regard to wrestling and BJJ. He still needs allot of improvement but I respect the fact he made an effort.

I believe Kimbo’s gameplan was to draw Houston in to a stand-up match then surprise him with his new and improved ground game because everyone knows how pathetic Houston is on the ground.

I loved the slam but the fight was pretty boring since both of their gameplans seem to rely on drawing the other person in and neither person took the bait.

I don’t believe that Houston was paid off this isn’t boxing. Dana has his shortcomings but I don’t believe he would stoop that low. He is an expert promoter and marketer so I do believe he would mastermind a rift between himself and his friend Rampage to not give a Rashad/Rampage match away for free and build up a huge amount of interest for a PPV fight. As well as say that Chuck has to retire knowing full well he was going to do a primetime dancing show, which would let Chuck reach new fans, so he could bring him back as a coach. He my use government smoke and mirror propaganda tactics but I don’t think he is Don King crooked. Remember in order to maintain loyal viewers and gain new viewers something has to spark interest and nothing better than controversy to do that. Remember when Brock played the heel after his fight with Mir. Dana was all over the media after that I was sitting in Bww’s the week after and Dana was on ESPN talking about it. Well I am sure that was good for business…………………………………. Sly Marketer- YES Crooked Promoter- NO

Btw….I believe, that’s why you have never seen any of that smoke and mirror stuff involving Hughes because for it to work both parties have to agree to the show. And that ain’t Matt Hughes whatcha see is what you get.

On a side note - It’s a funny thing with allot of fighters. When they are first starting as amateurs they tend to go balls to the wall and make stupid mistakes and somebody gets ko’d or they blow their wad and gas out. Then they turn pro and their first fight they dance allot and try to show their maturity and skill. Finally, they get in a big show and the emotions get to them and they want to be impressive and they look like higher skilled amateurs again going all out. After they get that behind them they start slowing down again and try to really figure out the science of the game. It is a roller coaster ride of training, skill, pressure, and emotions.

Last edited by Shane Lee 2; 12-07-2009 at 03:58 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:56 PM

Kimbo looked about 20 pounds bigger then houston