Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-10-2009, 07:36 PM
matthughesfan21
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Karo test positive for painkillers

UFC 94 competitor Karo Parisyan tests positive for prescription painkillers
by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Feb 10, 2009 at 3:20 pm ET
UFC veteran welterweight Karo Parisyan, who last competed on Jan. 31 in a victory over Dong Hyun Kim at UFC 94, tested positive for a multiple prescription painkillers at the event.

Nevada State Athletic Commission Executive Director Keith Kizer today emailed news of the failed test to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

According to Kizer, Parisyan tested positive for the banned substances hydrocodone, hydromorphone and oxymorphone.

Parisyan will now be subject to a suspension and fine from the NSAC.

In addition to Parisyan, other UFC 94 fighters tested for steroids and drugs of abuse include Georges St. Pierre, B.J. Penn, Lyoto Machida, Thiago Silva, Clay Guida, Jon Jones, Jake O'Brien, John Howard, Thiago Tavares, Stephan Bonnar and Nate Diaz.

All competitors except Parisyan test negative.

Stay tuned to MMAjunkie.com for updates on this story.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-10-2009, 07:37 PM
VCURamFan's Avatar
VCURamFan VCURamFan is offline
Allons-y
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Basketball Capital of the World
Posts: 14,298
Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthughesfan21
UFC 94 competitor Karo Parisyan tests positive for prescription painkillers
by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Feb 10, 2009 at 3:20 pm ET
UFC veteran welterweight Karo Parisyan, who last competed on Jan. 31 in a victory over Dong Hyun Kim at UFC 94, tested positive for a multiple prescription painkillers at the event.

Nevada State Athletic Commission Executive Director Keith Kizer today emailed news of the failed test to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

According to Kizer, Parisyan tested positive for the banned substances hydrocodone, hydromorphone and oxymorphone.

Parisyan will now be subject to a suspension and fine from the NSAC.

In addition to Parisyan, other UFC 94 fighters tested for steroids and drugs of abuse include Georges St. Pierre, B.J. Penn, Lyoto Machida, Thiago Silva, Clay Guida, Jon Jones, Jake O'Brien, John Howard, Thiago Tavares, Stephan Bonnar and Nate Diaz.

All competitors except Parisyan test negative.

Stay tuned to MMAjunkie.com for updates on this story.
No wonder he looked so out of it!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-10-2009, 07:38 PM
Llamafighter's Avatar
Llamafighter Llamafighter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Astoria, New York
Posts: 6,004
Default

Do they remove the loss from Dong's record?
__________________
"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear."
-Mark Twain

[
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-10-2009, 07:39 PM
Crisco
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

That leg never fully healed for him. May need the killers to just to keep going
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-10-2009, 07:39 PM
Crisco
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter
Do they remove the loss from Dong's record?
I believe it's ruled a no contest say yea. he becomes ?-?-1
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-10-2009, 08:20 PM
rearnakedchoke
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco
I believe it's ruled a no contest say yea. he becomes ?-?-1
Does it not depend on the athletic commission? doesn't sherk's win over franca still count as a win? i might be wrong ... as for karo, i am not a big fan of the guy, and yes he had banned substances in his system, but i would give him a pass as a first time offender and the fact that he was probably taking them for something else and not trying to cheat
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-10-2009, 08:39 PM
Bonnie Bonnie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Where the bluebonnets bloom
Posts: 6,587
Default

I really think Dong won that fight, myself.

If a fighter has to be on painkillers for something and is upfront about it, will they allow him to fight (depending on what the drug is and how much he is taking)?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-10-2009, 08:56 PM
Country Breakfast
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie
I really think Dong won that fight, myself.

If a fighter has to be on painkillers for something and is upfront about it, will they allow him to fight (depending on what the drug is and how much he is taking)?
Not any of the narcotic stuff he was taking(I would think)
That stuff could very well be a detriment for him in a fight. If he took enough of them it could be like "fighting under the influence".
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-10-2009, 10:29 PM
Spiritwalker's Avatar
Spiritwalker Spiritwalker is offline
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Gastonia NC
Posts: 4,339
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke
Does it not depend on the athletic commission? doesn't sherk's win over franca still count as a win? i might be wrong ... as for karo, i am not a big fan of the guy, and yes he had banned substances in his system, but i would give him a pass as a first time offender and the fact that he was probably taking them for something else and not trying to cheat

Correct. Sean's win is still a win.

And yes, it's determined by the ruling commission.
__________________
It is because you chose to get on the mat that makes you the winner. Think about how many people are not on that mat right now. - Luis Sucuri Togno
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-10-2009, 10:32 PM
Spiritwalker's Avatar
Spiritwalker Spiritwalker is offline
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Gastonia NC
Posts: 4,339
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie
I really think Dong won that fight, myself.

If a fighter has to be on painkillers for something and is upfront about it, will they allow him to fight (depending on what the drug is and how much he is taking)?
Probably not allow them to fight if it's still in their system to the point where it can effect them. But if you need it that bad... you probably shouldn't even be driving, let alone fighting.

I am a Karo fan. But that's just plain stupid.

I would like to know why he was taking them. The amounts in his system.

I was on some kick but pain killers when I was in the hospital years ago. I had to take them for a few weeks.. but then I ran out and was stopped cold.. and I seriously felt the withdrawal..

So maybe it's an addiction?
__________________
It is because you chose to get on the mat that makes you the winner. Think about how many people are not on that mat right now. - Luis Sucuri Togno
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.