Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Old 12-04-2009, 05:19 AM
Via Con Dios

Default why all the Staphylococcus?

why do all these fighters get so many grody staph infections? i know rolling around with sweaty dudes probably isnt very sanitary, but still. what gives?
Old 12-04-2009, 05:33 AM
Stump Rules!

Not enough

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 12-04-2009, 06:38 AM
atomdanger

Need some

Old 12-04-2009, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

All humans have bacteria growing on their skin. It is a good thing. It is "normal flora" which protects us. The problem happens when a break in the skin allows that bacteria into the body and an infection happens. Rolling at the gym means that these guys are getting other people's bacteria on them. There are strains of bacteria, like MRSA, that aren't found on most people but there are folks who are carriers of it and can spread it even without becoming infected themselves because their body has deemed it their "normal flora." A quick nasal swab at the doc's office can determine that. Just think, any time you touch another person with your body you are exposing yourself to their bacterial soup. Yum.

There are ways to decrease your risk of getting an infection but it happens at even the cleanest gyms sometimes.

~Amy
Old 12-04-2009, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator

http://www.textbookofbacteriology.net/normalflora.html

Interesting site that describes the normal flora on humans and where the bacteria generally resides.

~Amy
Old 12-05-2009, 07:43 PM
Via Con Dios

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN View Post
All humans have bacteria growing on their skin. It is a good thing. It is "normal flora" which protects us. The problem happens when a break in the skin allows that bacteria into the body and an infection happens. Rolling at the gym means that these guys are getting other people's bacteria on them. There are strains of bacteria, like MRSA, that aren't found on most people but there are folks who are carriers of it and can spread it even without becoming infected themselves because their body has deemed it their "normal flora." A quick nasal swab at the doc's office can determine that. Just think, any time you touch another person with your body you are exposing yourself to their bacterial soup. Yum.

There are ways to decrease your risk of getting an infection but it happens at even the cleanest gyms sometimes.

~Amy
that makes sense. i was thinking it probably had to do with different strains of staph, but wasn't sure. thanks for the info!
Old 12-05-2009, 07:49 PM
Jason 16

I got staph well cut out of my toe that I got from an ingrown toe nail last night I did every thing I was suposeto to prevent it and well it didnt work
Old 12-05-2009, 07:50 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason 16 View Post
I got staph well cut out of my toe that I got from an ingrown toe nail last night I did every thing I was suposeto to prevent it and well it didnt work
Pics or shens!!
Old 12-05-2009, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason 16 View Post
That sucks. I know that hurts. Sometimes it just happens. Take your antibiotics, the full course as prescribed by your physician. And don't go rubbing your staphy toe on anyone.

~Amy
Old 12-05-2009, 07:57 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN View Post
That sucks. I know that hurts. Sometimes it just happens. Take your antibiotics, the full course as prescribed by your physician. And don't go rubbing your staphy toe on anyone.

~Amy
Unless they deserve it.