Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 12-04-2009, 10:49 AM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradwright View Post
well according to your logic the war in Afghanistan should have been over before it started then.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:52 AM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post

Espionage warnings from the Defence Department caused an international sensation a few years ago over reports of mysterious coins with radio frequency transmitters, until they were debunked.

The culprit turned out to be a commemorative quarter in Canada. But at the height of the mystery, senior Pentagon officials speculated whether Canadians were involved in the spy caper.

In sensational warnings that circulated publicly in late 2006 and early 2007, the Pentagon's Defence Security Service said coins with radio transmitters were found planted on U.S. Army contractors with classified security clearances on at least three separate occasions between October 2005 and January 2006 as the contractors travelled through Canada.

In January 2007, the government abruptly reversed itself and said the warnings were not true. The case remained a mystery until months later, when AP learned that the flap had been caused by suspicions over the odd-looking Canadian "poppy" quarter with a bright red flower.

The silver-coloured 25-cent piece features the red image of a poppy - Canada's flower of war remembrance - inlaid on a maple leaf.

What suspicious contractors believed to be "nanotechnology" on the coins actually was a protective coating the Royal Canadian Mint applied to prevent the poppy's red colour from rubbing off. The mint produced nearly 30 million such quarters in 2004 commemorating Canada's 117,000 war dead.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:22 PM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

Every Country that has the ability to do so is probably spying on each other!
Old 12-04-2009, 07:16 PM
sender

I'm spying on you guys right now... via Matt Hughes forum...

Old 12-04-2009, 07:26 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sender View Post
I'm spying on you guys right now... via Matt Hughes forum...

EXTREME espionage!!!
Old 12-04-2009, 09:21 PM
eric84

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
haha .. maybe ... but your shock and awe was supposed to take care of iraq pretty quick and you are sending more troops to afghanistan too .... win a war with a third world nation first ...
While it would obviously take longer than .001 or whatever seconds he mentioned, there would be a big difference between the two wars. In Iraq, we decimated their army in days and their government fell, but we stayed for other reasons. Whereas if we invaded Canada it wouldn't be to seek out and destroy all the terrorists, it would be to force them to surrender. It's the occupation of Iraq/Afghanistan that is where we have the problems, and it being a 3rd world country is what actually makes it harder. If it was a more stable country with a more stable government, it's less likely we would need to occupy it.

I don't think the US is ALL powerful, but we are the most powerful nation(still, hopefully it lasts).

I'm curious though if anyone has any statistics on the amount of troops, tanks, other vehicles, planes, etc that Canada has. Does Canada allow the US to have any bases there(don't think we would need them, but just curious).
Old 12-04-2009, 09:48 PM
Crisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric84 View Post
While it would obviously take longer than .001 or whatever seconds he mentioned, there would be a big difference between the two wars. In Iraq, we decimated their army in days and their government fell, but we stayed for other reasons. Whereas if we invaded Canada it wouldn't be to seek out and destroy all the terrorists, it would be to force them to surrender. It's the occupation of Iraq/Afghanistan that is where we have the problems, and it being a 3rd world country is what actually makes it harder. If it was a more stable country with a more stable government, it's less likely we would need to occupy it.

I don't think the US is ALL powerful, but we are the most powerful nation(still, hopefully it lasts).

I'm curious though if anyone has any statistics on the amount of troops, tanks, other vehicles, planes, etc that Canada has. Does Canada allow the US to have any bases there(don't think we would need them, but just curious).
Aprox. 67,000 on active duty.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:18 AM
bradwright

Quote:

well let me start by saying we have at least 3 submarines...i know this because i have seen them for myself...they are at west Edmonton mall.

as far as bases go have you ever heard of NORAD ?
Old 12-05-2009, 05:38 AM
mscomc

Quote:

Well, it is true, the 'army' (the official one) was decimated. This is just my oppinion, but usually armies in the 3rd world countries, are usually pretty bad. Not that they cant be good, but usually the troops are made up people who are just looking for a job....they dont have that "killer" instinct or combat way of thinking. One group of people that is giving the U.S (and other nations) a hard time are the militants and militia/freedom fighters or extremeists or whatever you wanna call them. I think thats one reason the progress is SO slow. Those guy are giving the U.S (and again other nations) a hard time just like the viet cong did in vietnam (by the way, im watching PLATOON right now), because they use urban warfare.

And by the way, the U.S did try to invade canada many years ago. Thomas Jefferson was quoted (on how they were going to capture the province of quebec) as saying "It will be a matter of marching".....well we all know how that turned out

peace guys.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradwright View Post
well let me start by saying we have at least 3 submarines...i know this because i have seen them for myself...they are at west Edmonton mall.

as far as bases go have you ever heard of NORAD ?
Are the subs diesel or nuke? If diesel, no way can they hide from anyone ever. Those suckers are LOUD underwater.

Just went googling and it seems that Canada has 4 subs that it bought from England. Diesel subs.

~Amy

Last edited by TexasRN; 12-05-2009 at 10:56 AM.