Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Sports

Old 12-02-2009, 03:04 PM
rearnakedchoke

Default RJJ loses by TKO in round one

Time to hang it up ... that's it RJJ, this is like Ali's Trevor Berbick ...

SYDNEY -- Australian Danny Green stopped Roy Jones Jr. in the first round of their IBO world cruiserweight title fight Wednesday, preventing the 40-year-old American from claiming his ninth title across five weight classes from middleweight to heavyweight.

The 36-year-old Green retained his title and improved to 28-3 with his technical knockout over Jones at the Acer Arena, in the American's first professional fight on foreign soil in his 20-year career.

It was only Jones' sixth loss since 1989, along with 54 wins, 40 by knockout.

Green floored Jones with a right hand to the head after one minute. Green moved in to apply more pressure, and following a series of blows, English referee Howard Foster stopped the bout after just 122 seconds.

Jones offered no excuses for a defeat which could signal the end of his career.

"We don't make excuses, it was a great performance by Danny," Jones said.

Green was almost apologetic for handing such a defeat to one of his boxing role models.

"He's one of the greatest fighters of all time and the opportunity to fight him in Australia, thanks, Roy Jones Jr.," Green told the crowd.

"I almost feel bad doing that, that almost hurt me to do that to someone whom I aspire to look up to as a professional fighter inside and outside the ring. He's a bloody legend."

After nearly a one-hour delay following an undercard bout, Jones entered the arena to mild applause. But Green, with the Australian band Men at Work's song "Down Under" playing, entered the ring to an ovation moments later.

"I didn't surprise myself," said Green.

Green won the IBO cruiserweight title in Biloxi, Miss., in August with a victory over Argentina's Julio Cesar Dominguez on the undercard to Jones' NABO light heavyweight championship win over Jeff Lacy.

Jones had been stopped just twice in his career, by Antonio Tarver and Glen Johnson, but Green warned ahead of the fight that he could end the Sydney fight early.

"I won't name which punch, but there's one punch, if I hit him clean with it, he is going to be knocked out for a week," Green said. "His speed can baffle me, but my power -- it can hospitalize someone. My fists are like bricks."

Green has never been stopped, although he was knocked down but not out by Argentina's Omar Gonzalez in 2004.

The Australian twice lost bids for the WBC super middleweight title to Markus Beyer -- one by disqualification and the other in a split decision. He retired temporarily in March 2008 before making a comeback in April this year.

Jones, who has eight belts across four divisions from middleweight to heavyweight, was a strong betting favorite.

Green weighed in at nearly 179 pounds while Jones was at just over 179.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...#ixzz0YY244eLj
Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription
Old 12-02-2009, 03:41 PM

I hate to see him lose but what a great career!

[
Old 12-03-2009, 12:27 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

This breaks my heart...really, that hurts...

Roy Jones is without a doubt my favorite boxer of all time, but it really is over, and it's been a long time coming.

I really wish Hopkins and Jones would have just fought each other without taking tune up fights. At least they would have both been able to cash in, now it's clearly pointless.

This week has really sucked so far...and it's only Wednesday.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:14 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Big bummer, I was shocked to hear not that he lost, but how quickly he lost.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:41 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
Big bummer, I was shocked to hear not that he lost, but how quickly he lost.
I was pretty shocked at both actually. Given the way Jones has looked in his last few fights, it was pretty easy to assume that he would go out there and take Green by unanimous decision. Roy made no excuses, and gave Green props for his performance, which is awesome of Jones.

However, now it's time for me to rant a little bit. Even though Green was coming with a mad flurry of punches, and he did score a knockdown, Jones was able to get right back up, and he seemed to be fine, maybe a little rocked, but not KO'd or even close to being KO'd. Personally, I think the ref was a little hasty in calling the fight as quick as he did. Granted, Jones was not able to mount any offense during the barrage of punches from Green, but he still had his hands up and was defending himself pretty well and the ref just stepped in and waved the fight off. It just seems a little shady the way it was stopped. Not to mention, WTF was Roy thinking by taking a fight against a guy like Green IN AUSTRALIA? I'm not saying the fight was fixed, but the stoppage was definitely questionable, and RJJ knows first hand how shady things can get when you are fighting overseas, like when he was robbed at the Olympics. Shadiness aside, Green is really popular with the Aussies and even though Green is in the end of his own career, he is still 4 years younger than Roy and packs a lot of KO power. Why in God's name would Jones ever agree to travel to HIS backyard when he didn't have to? None of this makes any sense.

Still, that is what makes tune-up fights dangerous for older guys. These younger guys come out there hungry and looking to make a name for themselves by knocking off a big name like RJJ, and then it happens and it messes everything up. Roy and Bernard did not need to take tune up fights to make a fight between themselves seem like a relevant rematch.The die-hards like me would have bought that PPV, no questions asked. Heck, we still would if they actually made the fight. Now though, everybody around the whole thing is just going to see it as a waste of time (to which it mostly is) and we will never see the fight.

Big payday...GONE...Great nostalgic battle...GONE...and now my Boxing hero...also gone
Old 12-24-2009, 05:01 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Well, well, well...

It appears that there is a bit of controversy brewing about Danny Green's hand-wraps. Jones has moved to have the decision reversed based on the controversial hand wraps that Green used, and their is evidence to back up the claim that there was some commotion before the fight because of the wraps. When Green was asked about the wraps he gave no comment.

I still think Roy is finished, but if there is some merit to his claims then they should be addressed.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:06 AM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Well, well, well...

It appears that there is a bit of controversy brewing about Danny Green's hand-wraps. Jones has moved to have the decision reversed based on the controversial hand wraps that Green used, and their is evidence to back up the claim that there was some commotion before the fight because of the wraps. When Green was asked about the wraps he gave no comment.

I still think Roy is finished, but if there is some merit to his claims then they should be addressed.
Explain.........
Old 12-24-2009, 05:24 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Explain.........
http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=24292

The wraps were different and had some sort of coating that makes them stiffer. Fighters have been known to do that crap. In the 80's trainer Panama Lewis soaked Luis Resto's wraps in what was basically plaster of paris, and he removed the padding from his gloves when fought Billy Collins Jr. Resto beat Collins so bad that his vision was ruined and he never boxed again. Collins became severely depressed and died a year later in a car wreck that many people think was a suicide. Both Lewis and Resto went to jail and were banned from boxing.

As for the Jones fight...

The evidence that backs up the claim that the issue has been raised the entire time is that the broadcast itself was pushed back because of a commotion over the wraps before the fight started. So, it's not like Jones waited 3 weeks to raise the issue.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:05 PM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=24292

The wraps were different and had some sort of coating that makes them stiffer. Fighters have been known to do that crap. In the 80's trainer Panama Lewis soaked Luis Resto's wraps in what was basically plaster of paris, and he removed the padding from his gloves when fought Billy Collins Jr. Resto beat Collins so bad that his vision was ruined and he never boxed again. Collins became severely depressed and died a year later in a car wreck that many people think was a suicide. Both Lewis and Resto went to jail and were banned from boxing.

As for the Jones fight...

The evidence that backs up the claim that the issue has been raised the entire time is that the broadcast itself was pushed back because of a commotion over the wraps before the fight started. So, it's not like Jones waited 3 weeks to raise the issue.
Gotcha... thanks for the link.

For some reason I was thinking HOW the hand was wrapped as opposed to a foreign substance. I didn't think they could get away with that anymore!
Old 12-24-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Gotcha... thanks for the link.

For some reason I was thinking HOW the hand was wrapped as opposed to a foreign substance. I didn't think they could get away with that anymore!
Margarhita got busted for this recently (believe after the cotto fight). It's like plaster in the gauze. it's really dangerous and would explain why those early punches were so damaging.
http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/the...ps_controversy
apparently it came after the Mosley fight, but could explain Cotto victory

[