Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Old 12-01-2009, 02:30 PM
snakerattle79

Default Shields On GSP: "Im The Best Guy He Hasnít Faced"

http://www.tapology.com/2009/11/jake...worlds-finest/

Quote:
Tapology: I know you get the UFC question all of the time, so Iím not going to ask it, but you mentioned that it is important to you to fight the best people you can fight. Georges St. Pierre is considered the best welterweight in the world right now, so is it important to you to get a fight with him within the next couple of years, whether it be in Strikeforce or the UFC?

Shields: It is important. I feel like I have to fight him unless someone beats him. To be the best, you have to fight the best, and GSP is for sure considered to be the best. It would be awesome if we could get that together in a co-promotion, and the way Strikeforce is going, who knows, it could happen.

Tapology: You are happy fighting for Strikeforce right now, but at what point does the importance of fighting a guy like St. Pierre weight heavily enough that you would consider jumping ship in order to make that happen?

Shields: The bottom line is that the UFC is not going to let you jump ship after one fight, so itís not a realistic option. At some point you have to look and weigh your options between money and fighting the best. Hopefully it will happen, but at this point I just have to concentrate on my Strikeforce contract and after that I will sit down with my managers and weíll figure out what I want to do.

Tapology: GSP mentioned you specifically as someone he would be interested in fighting at a recent Q&A session before UFC 105. How does it make you feel to be directly addressed by him in that manner?

Shields: He mentioned that it was his dream fight, you know. He mentioned Brock Lesnar vs. Fedor and him against me, which is awesome because it shows me that in his mind Iím the best guy he hasnít faced. I have wanted that fight for a while, but itís nice for him to say that he wants it as well.

Tapology: It might be a long ways off if it ever does happen, but how do you see yourself matching up with him?

Shields: I think it is a really interesting fight. Who knows what will happen. I think I have an edge in Jiu-Jitsu, he might have the edge in striking, but letís get out there and see what happens.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:33 PM
County Mike

I'd like to see it.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:56 PM
CAVEMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
I'd like to see it.
I 2nd that!
Old 12-01-2009, 05:08 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

LOL, Shields is good, but he would be a slightly-above average welterweight in the UFC. He wouldn't get by:
  • GSP
  • Fitch
  • Alves
  • Koscheck
  • "Rumble" Johnson
  • Hughes

I'd even venture to say he'd struggle getting past Serra.

I know for sure he'd also lose to BJ Penn if Penn came up in weight.

I'd like to see the UFC do a co-promotion with Strikeforce, just to kick Strikeforce's ass and put them out of business. I get tired of hearing these fighters from lesser leagues calling out the UFC fighters. The only one who would probably win would be Fedor against Brock and I'd still say that's a tough one to call either way.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:29 PM
wpnsman2000

Default LOL

I think GSP with all his money can afford a blanket of his own without involving Shields. Really to me that is all Shields is about...when he figures he cannot submit a guy or he might get submitted he's all about laying around and holding...not dishing out punishment. He wouldn't even get the opportunity to think about delivering punishment against GSP.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:32 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

I like Jake...I really do...but after what Mayhem Miller did to him...I think I want to see a stella performance against a true calibre before I back Sheilds against anyone approaching GSP
Old 12-02-2009, 09:19 PM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
LOL, Shields is good, but he would be a slightly-above average welterweight in the UFC. He wouldn't get by:
  • GSP
  • Fitch
  • Alves
  • Koscheck
  • "Rumble" Johnson
  • Hughes
I'd even venture to say he'd struggle getting past Serra.
I think he would give all those guys trouble.
He certainly isn't a barn burner, but his ground game is a problem for anybody.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:39 PM
wpnsman2000

Default eh

I really don't see him giving GSP, Hughes, or Kos (cannot stand btw) any problems whatsoever on the ground....
Old 12-02-2009, 09:41 PM
Crisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger View Post
I think he would give all those guys trouble.
He certainly isn't a barn burner, but his ground game is a problem for anybody.
Who also doesn't world class wrestling and sub defense.

Shields will not be able to submit or take down GSP.

Gsp will outstrike him all day.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:44 PM
rearnakedchoke

he's looking for a bigger pay day ... being big fish in a small pond doesn't pay well .... he wants a shot at GSP first so that he isn't exposed fighter less competition .. .