Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 12-01-2009, 01:02 AM
Matt Pena

Default Matt Pena Update - (Hughes Boxing Coach in case y'all forgot)

Just wanted to check in with you guys as I tend to do every now and then. Its great to see many of the same faces chatting, and why not. I think we've all become pretty close throughout the years, meeting each other at events and support Matt.

I just wanted to say hello. The time off has treated me very good. A great time to refocus, and put my family first for a change. If people only knew the miles I was putting on my car and getting frequent flyer miles for, I believe they would think I'm nuts to get into that again. The most exciting news that I have is that I just got back from Mexico on Friday. I married an amazing woman, on November 23rd. I have recently moved to Salt Lake City, Utah to be with my new wife. It took a few weeks to get adjusted to, but my daughter is attending a fantastic school that is both socially rewarding and academically challenging. I couldn't be more happy with how my personal life is going now. For a long time, even when things were going perfectly in the fight world, I personally was kind of empty and because I didn't have anyone in my personal life to share that with. Good or bad, its fantastic to have the support of a loving partner in life.

I can not say that I'm completely rebuilding. I've been sporadically helping Jeremy Horn out at his gym here in Salt Lake. We've been looking at some ways to give back to the community. With his help, I will have a non-profit program launched to help a few different targets: inner city youth, battered women, and youth with weight problems. Its a program I will talk more about in the future. However, I am excited because it will allow me to give something back to fill a definite need as well as maintain the flexibility to train top level fighters. I'm probably an idiot that Im not chasing the money, but oddly God has always provided for me so I will continue to follow my heart. Anyone who knows anything about Jeremy, know that he is a fantastic coach. He has a great facility and puts on a well supported show in the Salt Lake community to get his fighters tons of experience. He has up and comers in almost every weight class so it's a very exciting team to be a part of. They are young, but expect to hear something from some of these guys in the next year or so.

I also wanted to take a moment to say congrats to Brian Foster. I can not tell you how proud of that young man. His energy and believe in himself will continue to allow this young man to do things, most think he can not. I personally thought, Larson was gonna give Brian a tough time but Brian did an amazing time. Keeping going with the same level of passion in my heart, I want to tell all of the guys at the HIT Squad, that I'm proud of them guys. Best of luck!

Matt Pena

ps. Friend me on facebook if you would like. I have some fantastic wedding pictures on there that I'm just dying to share. What can I say, Im a sappy proud newlywed. God Bless!!!
Old 12-01-2009, 01:28 AM
Super Moderator

I "friended" you. Thanks for the update. You'll always be part of the family here.

~Amy
Old 12-01-2009, 02:02 AM

Matt, congrats again on a beautiful wedding and I wish you a long happy life together. thanks for the friendship on facebook and keeping us updated. you know we're all big fans of yours on here.
take care!

[
Old 12-01-2009, 02:09 AM
Stump Rules!

That's awesome news Matt congratulations!

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 12-01-2009, 05:44 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Hey Matt, great to hear from ya again! I noticed the Fb pics, but didn't want you to catch onto how intently I stalk you, so didn't say anything.

I think we need to set up a Forumite/Coaches reunion soon...say around April 10th-ish?
Old 12-01-2009, 07:06 AM

Congratulations, Matt, on all your good news.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:32 PM
Preach

Hey Matt I already had you as a friend on Facebook and I have to say the pics are awesome.... I want to wish you the best of luck and keep us posted
Old 12-01-2009, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Boomer

Mateo .... Man great to hear from you buddy. that is AWESOME about the wedding!!! Congrats!!

I know moving is always tough but fresh starts are nice sometimes. Feels like a clean slate. Glad yo uare still in the fight community. You gotta lot to give and not just with your mit skills.

I make it out to Salt Lake once or twice a year for work. I have a unit there, so we will have to get together next time I'm in the city.

Thanks for keeping us in the loop and I just got a facebook. I know I know Im a sheep. I held off until now .... I'll look you up though.

I also have a WoW character on your server that needs some leveling.
Boomer is fricking HOT!!!!!
Old 12-02-2009, 02:16 AM
Matt Pena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Mateo .... Man great to hear from you buddy. that is AWESOME about the wedding!!! Congrats!!

I know moving is always tough but fresh starts are nice sometimes. Feels like a clean slate. Glad yo uare still in the fight community. You gotta lot to give and not just with your mit skills.

I make it out to Salt Lake once or twice a year for work. I have a unit there, so we will have to get together next time I'm in the city.

Thanks for keeping us in the loop and I just got a facebook. I know I know Im a sheep. I held off until now .... I'll look you up though.

I also have a WoW character on your server that needs some leveling.
BOOMER - LOL!! For sure... Definitely holla at me when you are in town. We will definitely hook up. And in terms of the WOW thing... uh yeah. You will have to PM me on that one... ;)

Thank all of you for the well wishes! I will be the eye in the sky!! ;)
Old 12-02-2009, 02:19 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Hey, don't I know you from UFC Undisputed 2009? Yeah, that's right, you're the guy who helped me KO Matt Serra, thanks!

Congrats on the wedding!