Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 02-11-2009, 03:01 AM

Quote:
"This is my land. Iīm the victim here," Mr. Barnett said. "When someoneīs home and loved ones are in jeopardy and the government seemingly canīt do anything about it, I feel justified in taking matters into my own hands. And I always watch my back."
That wins the case for this rancher, in my book!

[
Old 02-11-2009, 03:20 AM
atomdanger

WTF

Somebody please slap me and remind me what country we live in.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:27 AM
Chuck

It just baffles me that any "rights" at all are extended to people in this country illegally. That's a serious WTF???

I think the rights we have in this counrty should be reserved for it's citizens and those here legally.

But what do I know??
Old 02-11-2009, 04:56 AM
Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake
I think the argument of "civil rights violations" is just ridiculous. They are trespassing and he has the right to protect his land.

However, the other reports on this story have been that this guy has been accused in the past of assaulting people he was detaining, and supposedly he is a raging racist. Now, being a racist is not illegal, and of course he can and should protect his land, but kicking a woman while she is on the ground is just ridiculous.
He should have just called the border patrol and let them handle it. I know the BP is understaffed, and I have been all over those dense southern regions of Arizona, and it's a tough area to monitor. BUT..he is actually pretty stupid to be out there trying to detain these people all by himself considering how many VERY dangerous people are crossing over all the time.
Racism is stupid but it doesn't make what he did any worse. I am of the opinion that if he kicked a woman than he should be kicked by a horse until he dies but I don't think there is anything wrong with trying to detain people. It's his property after all.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:29 AM
Moose

You can be sued for anything at anytime. Do I think that illegal immigrants should be able to sue a man who didn't physically harm them while they were breaking the law on his property? No. Not at all. Luckily, he lives in a red state, and they have a much better record for protecting homeowners and property holders rights.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:45 AM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

Of course their gonna play the race card! It has a history of being a very powerful card to use!
Old 02-11-2009, 11:35 AM
County Mike

I don't blame him for taking matters into his own hands. The illegal immigrants aren't just crossing his property. They're damaging, stealing and even killing his livestock. He should just start picking them off with a rifle and feed his pigs. Dead people don't sue you.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:37 PM
Deerstabber

County Mike I totally agree! I wonder if he needs any help.
As for kicking the women, more power to him she got outta line kick her, she shouldn't be there in the first place.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:58 PM
rearnakedchoke

If this guy did indeed hurt some of the people he was holding until the authorities arrived he should not only be sued but criminally charged ... don't know about US laws, but if he can't prove that he was in danger when they were under his watch (un-armed) then these people are going to win this lawsuit ...

yes, i know they are breaking the law .. but if i catch someone trying to rob a store and have him under control while i am waiting for the police, and i decide to try out my armbar on the guy and break his arm, you can be sure that i am gonna get charged if i can't prove i was doing it in self-defence
Old 02-11-2009, 03:14 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Kinda reminds me of the injustice given to the border patrol agents, Jose Compean and Ignacio Ramos.

For those who don't know, about the story, Compean was patrolling a section of border with another agent (Ignacio Ramos) when they spotted a man crossing the border. They stopped him in a van containing 743 pounds of marijuana, but he ran. Compean said he thought the suspect had a gun and was going to shoot him so he fired at him first. His shot missed but his partner, hearing gunfire, fired in order to defend Compean and hit the suspect in the buttocks. They lost sight of the man but said they saw him on the Mexican side of the border. They did not believe he had been injured so they did not report the incident.

The two officers were arrested after the drug smuggler, Osvaldo Aldrete Davila, filed a complaint against them. After a two-week jury trial, Compean was found guilty on 11 counts, including discharging a firearm during the commission of a violent crime, which by itself carries a federally mandated 10-year minimum sentence. Without that charge, both agents involved would have received far shorter sentences. Instead, Compean was sentenced to 12 years in prison, and his partner, Ignacio Ramos, was sentenced to 11 years in prison. Aldrete Davila was granted immunity to testify against the two agents and received six border crossing visas to come to the United States and testify (you can be sure he did some drug deals with those Visas).

Anyways, these officers were finally commuted by Bush on January 19, 2009 after serving nearly 4 years in prison for defending our nation's borders from drug smugglers.

F'ing bs, I hope this guy gets his justice from those border jumpers!