Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #111  
Old 02-12-2009, 03:46 PM
Neezar's Avatar
Neezar Neezar is offline
SupaDupaMod
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South
Posts: 6,490
Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar
Default

And someone on here deserves the Doesn't Include Couth & Kindliness into their posts award.



Get it? lol.
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 02-12-2009, 03:54 PM
NateR's Avatar
NateR NateR is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar
No, I don't know that. I use the term Karma because most people understand what that means. I think God uses what we term as Karma all the time to teach us lessons.
Well, Karma is a non-Christian concept based on Eastern religions. It's actually a cleverly disguised form of "works based" salvation that is incompatible with the Biblical concept of salvation. Not to mention that it takes justice out of GOD's hands and puts it into our own.

There are plenty of passages in the Bible about GOD allowing evil men to flourish on the Earth in order to accomplish His will and that contradicts any concept of Karma.

Karma is basically about getting what we deserve based on our actions. However, the Bible is clear that if we were all to get what we really deserve, then GOD would have melted the earth down to a ball of molten lava thousands of years ago.

It's only out of GOD's infinite mercy and grace that we're even allowed to live at all. Our "good works" are still filthy in GOD's eyes.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 02-12-2009, 03:59 PM
Neezar's Avatar
Neezar Neezar is offline
SupaDupaMod
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South
Posts: 6,490
Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
Well, Karma is a non-Christian concept based on Eastern religions. It's actually a cleverly disguised form of "works based" salvation that is incompatible with the Biblical concept of salvation. Not to mention that it takes justice out of GOD's hands and puts it into our own.

There are plenty of passages in the Bible about GOD allowing evil men to flourish on the Earth in order to accomplish His will and that contradicts any concept of Karma.

Karma is basically about getting what we deserve based on our actions. However, the Bible is clear that if we were all to get what we really deserve, then GOD would have melted the earth down to a ball of molten lava thousands of years ago.

It's only out of GOD's infinite mercy and grace that we're even allowed to live at all. Our "good works" are still filthy in GOD's eyes.
So, do you think that God never intervenes in our lives? Good or bad?
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 02-12-2009, 04:18 PM
rearnakedchoke
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
Well, Karma is a non-Christian concept based on Eastern religions. It's actually a cleverly disguised form of "works based" salvation that is incompatible with the Biblical concept of salvation. Not to mention that it takes justice out of GOD's hands and puts it into our own.

There are plenty of passages in the Bible about GOD allowing evil men to flourish on the Earth in order to accomplish His will and that contradicts any concept of Karma.

Karma is basically about getting what we deserve based on our actions. However, the Bible is clear that if we were all to get what we really deserve, then GOD would have melted the earth down to a ball of molten lava thousands of years ago.

It's only out of GOD's infinite mercy and grace that we're even allowed to live at all. Our "good works" are still filthy in GOD's eyes.
Well, I can't speak for Neezar, but she is probably referring to the western interpretation of karma and not the literal definition from the eastern religions you talk about .. most people when they refer to karma are talking about getting what you give whether good or bad .. and as i have stated in the past, i am not a biblical expert, but are there not passages in the bible that talk about getting back seven fold what you give (can't remember good or bad) and i think that is what neezar was trying to say when referring to karma (again, not speaking on their behalf) .. sure karma is not the best word ...
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 02-12-2009, 04:21 PM
NateR's Avatar
NateR NateR is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar
So, do you think that God never intervenes in our lives? Good or bad?
Of course He does, which is why Karma can't exist. The concept of Karma creates a 'tit-for-tat' situation that really doesn't exist in the Bible. It's based on the idea of an impersonal god who doesn't care about justice, but only cares about equilibrium. Karma says that as long as you do good things and be a good person, then the universe will reward you with happiness, peace and prosperity. Ultimately, you'll get only what you deserve, nothing more, nothing less.

GOD tells us that we can't do enough good works to earn His favor and that "good people" simply don't exist. Only GOD is good, and every person on the earth is deserving of death from before the moment of conception. So, it's impossible for GOD to give us what we truly deserve without just killing us all off.

The Bible also tells us that, as a result of being obedient to Him, we can expect to receive hatred, persecution, pain and death from this world. And, until Christ returns, "peace on earth" is only another one of Satan's lies... as is Karma.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 02-12-2009, 05:14 PM
Moose
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Many Buddhists see kharma as a temporal thing, meaning, it's almost like sleeping in the bed you made, good or bad. I like that.
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 02-12-2009, 05:14 PM
Neezar's Avatar
Neezar Neezar is offline
SupaDupaMod
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South
Posts: 6,490
Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
Of course He does, which is why Karma can't exist. The concept of Karma creates a 'tit-for-tat' situation that really doesn't exist in the Bible. It's based on the idea of an impersonal god who doesn't care about justice, but only cares about equilibrium. Karma says that as long as you do good things and be a good person, then the universe will reward you with happiness, peace and prosperity. Ultimately, you'll get only what you deserve, nothing more, nothing less.

*Note: I thought Karma (in this context) was that you do good things here and it determines what kind of things you get in the afterlife (or how you are reincarnated, lol)

GOD tells us that we can't do enough good works to earn His favor and that "good people" simply don't exist. Only GOD is good, and every person on the earth is deserving of death from before the moment of conception. So, it's impossible for GOD to give us what we truly deserve without just killing us all off.

The Bible also tells us that, as a result of being obedient to Him, we can expect to receive hatred, persecution, pain and death from this world. And, until Christ returns, "peace on earth" is only another one of Satan's lies... as is Karma.
That is not my general perception of what Karma means.

In the sense of Karma = what goes around, comes around; you reap what you sow; things will come back and bite you in the ass in that context I believe in karma and that God may have something to do with that at times. I think He does not so pleasant things to us sometimes (or allows it to happen) to teach us a lesson.
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 02-12-2009, 05:18 PM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker
I "pick apart your posts" so I do miss anything. You have a lot to say, and given that you and I disagree on a topic, I would like to ensure that all of the specifics are hit on. And you may claim to be a conservative, but it sure doesn't come across that way. Actually claiming that it's the US's fault for not securing our boarders (huh), but then find fault in a guy that is doing what amounts to a citizens arrest.. makes no sense.. then you bring up expired visas (where did that come from) and try to say iti's Amercias fault that they are still here.




If you feel that I am obviously incapable of having an open discussion, maybe YOU haven't been reading MY posts.. I haven't attacked you, just your stance. You claim many times that we don't know facts, yet turn around and make judgements on the facts that are known. Seems weird to me..
Sorry Spirit, but when you pick apart my posts line by line you always seem to miss the bigger points I am making, just like in the sports section. You seem to be so focused on just finding a counter argument to anything I say that it makes it next to impossible to rationally discuss anything with you. If I keep responding to each of your posts, I just end up typing the same crap I have already said. You may not intend to act this way, but you come off to me as just looking to argue anything I say. In the Sports section, as soon as I challenged your opinion you started bashing the Cardinals, as if to make it personal. In my opinion, you are just trying to grill me because of the argument we had in the Sports Section.

If you cannot comprehend that a person can speculate on a news report without actually make a final judgment, then I can't help you. If you cannot understand that the problem with illegal immigration is a problem that America helped create, then I can't help you. If you don't think I am a conservative, I really don't care. The reason I said it was because MOST people around this forum that have discussed anything with me know where I stand in my beliefs, on everything from social issues to fiscal responsibility. Not to mention, most liberals don't stick around here very long, only a few have stuck around in the last couple years. You cant go back and read my posts from the old forum, but if you could I think you find that the answer is pretty cut and dry as far as where I stand.

The problem here is not me speculating on what may or may not have happened, it's that too many people around here blindly want to assume that this guy is 100% in the right just because he is an American, and I am getting verbally stoned for even suggesting otherwise. It's seems no matter how many times I repeat myself, somebody wants to spin it into me being a liberal moonbat, but I will say it again. I have NO issue with the man protecting his land, home, and family! I will repeat, I have NO issue with the man protecting his land, home, and family.

All I said was that there were other reports that claimed other circumstances surrounded this case. As for me saying he is stupid to be out there policing his land all by himself, IT IS. Anybody who thinks it safe for him to be out there alone don't know **** about that area of the country. While you were busy tyring to mock me as if you were talking like a drunken redneck, you still missed the point that was being made.

Quote:
I have plenty of discussions that are open and friendly, and others that take pokes at others.. but in this thread
Sure, everybody is open and friendly until they respond to something they disagree with. It's then that we see the true measure of a persons ability to be rational and fair. You condescend way too much, and take way too many little shots for me to debate you without making it personal. So, if you would tone down your rhetoric a little bit, and be a little more respectful, I would love to have some lively discussions with you. I think you would find we probably agree on a lot more than you would think.
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 02-12-2009, 05:59 PM
NateR's Avatar
NateR NateR is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar
That is not my general perception of what Karma means.

In the sense of Karma = what goes around, comes around; you reap what you sow; things will come back and bite you in the ass in that context I believe in karma and that God may have something to do with that at times. I think He does not so pleasant things to us sometimes (or allows it to happen) to teach us a lesson.
Then how do you reconcile that with the story of Job? Who did nothing wrong, but GOD allowed Satan to kill off his children, his livestock and destroy his property and health just to make a point.

Another example, what about Jesus? What exactly did He do to deserve being crucified? Nothing, of course.

What exactly did we do to deserve GOD's mercy? Again, nothing.

Don't confuse consequences of our actions with the religious belief of Karma. They're not the same.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 02-12-2009, 06:10 PM
Neezar's Avatar
Neezar Neezar is offline
SupaDupaMod
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South
Posts: 6,490
Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
Then how do you reconcile that with the story of Job? Who did nothing wrong, but GOD allowed Satan to kill off his children, his livestock and destroy his property and health just to make a point.

Another example, what about Jesus? What exactly did He do to deserve being crucified? Nothing, of course.

What exactly did we do to deserve GOD's mercy? Again, nothing.

Don't confuse consequences of our actions with the religious belief of Karma. They're not the same.
Like I stated before, I am not using karma in the context of a religious belief. And I said that I believe that God uses that tactic (i.e. karma, going around and coming around thing) sometimes. I never said that I thought he was limited to only it.

I totally get what you are saying though and could have used a better choice of words or word in this case. But that word explained what I meant in less words. I'm lazy. So, spank me.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.