Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Old 11-26-2009, 06:29 PM
snakerattle79

Default Frank Mir: "Fedor Wants No Part Of Facing Real Competition"

http://www.cagereport.net/Frank-Mir-...mpetition.html

Quote:
Whilst Kongo is renowned for his striking abilities, Mir is confident that he could contend with the hard hitting French striker on the feet and views this as a great opportunity to showcase some striking abilities of his own.

"I mean I wasn't supposed to beat Nogueira standing and look what happened there. I'm confident that I can strike with Cheick [Kongo] and make it competitive, my punches are a lot quicker than his, plus I know how to work angles better, trust me I know how to shut guys off. The thing is if I were to go out there and submit him in less than a minute It would prove nothing, a true martial artists would want to challenge himself and the challenge presented in front of me right now is to out-strike someone who on paper is the better striker."

When asked if he would re-sign with the UFC once the remainder of his current contract expires, Mir revealed no intentions of signing elsewhere.

"Not really, the UFC have been good to me over the years, I don't see any reason for me to leave or go elsewhere. I want that rematch with Brock before I even think that far down the line."

Mir has been known to be critical of Fedor Emelianenko in the past, the man who many regard as the number one heavyweight in MMA, Mir however tends to disagree with this notion.

"No disrespect to Rogers but other than Arlovski he hasn't really beaten anyone noteworthy. I don't see how beating a guy like that solidifies Fedor as being number one pound for pound. I would still rank guys like Anderson [Silva], Miguel Torres and St Pierre above Fedor as far as pound for pound rankings go. Do I think I could beat Fedor? of course, but now I'll never get the opportunity to prove it since [Fedor's] made it clear that he wants no part of facing real competition."
Old 11-26-2009, 06:37 PM
Maldonado136

this reminds me of when tim said fedor was a "tiny little s**t". didnt go so well for him lol
Old 11-26-2009, 07:05 PM
Via Con Dios

funny, he considers beating big nog multiple times not a noteworthy accomplishment.

interesting comment from a guy who is himself obviously proud of his win over big nog.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:22 PM
atomdanger

""I mean I wasn't supposed to beat Nogueira standing"
No no Frank, you got it wrong, you aren't suppose to beat him on the ground.

I love all these HW's who are much lower on the ladder than Fedor all think he should come to them.
That isn't how it works, the top dog doesn't come to you, you go to him.
If Frank, or Lesnar or Carwin had any interest in fighting Fedor they would chase him, yet they do not.
The best doesn't chase down challengers, challengers chase the best.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:28 PM
Jason 16

so he still doesnt belive that nog had staph even after he owned randy. if there was a rematch nog would own him on his feet let alone some one like congo. I see mir going to sleep if he goes into this fight with a big head
Old 11-26-2009, 09:55 PM
que

frank mir is an idiot but he is right here. fedor wants nothing to do with facing real competition. if he wanted to face real competition then he would have signed with UFC not strikeforce. lol@ choosing to fight brett freaking rodgers over an instant title shot against brock lesnar. what a joke.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:07 AM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by que View Post
frank mir is an idiot but he is right here. fedor wants nothing to do with facing real competition. if he wanted to face real competition then he would have signed with UFC not strikeforce. lol@ choosing to fight brett freaking rodgers over an instant title shot against brock lesnar. what a joke.
In fairness to all involved...
Brett Rogers is a more accomplished mixed martial artist than Brock.
Fedor doesn't have the concept that if you hold a UFC belt you're automatically the best fighter in the world.
(like most ufc fans seem to)

Brock has two worthwhile wins.
I think Brock would beat Brett,
but I don't think its fair to act like Brett Rogers is a complete nobody.

The best fighter in the world is outside the UFC,
if Brock Lesnar had any interest in fighting the best in the world he wouldn't have gone to the UFC.
His interest was in making money.
Same with Frank Mir, he could have easily gone after Fedor after his wreck,
and at that time the UFC had even less HW's, did he chase the best? no.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:07 AM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger View Post
In fairness to all involved...
Brett Rogers is a more accomplished mixed martial artist than Brock.
Fedor doesn't have the concept that if you hold a UFC belt you're automatically the best fighter in the world.
(like most ufc fans seem to)

Brock has two worthwhile wins.
I think Brock would beat Brett,
but I don't think its fair to act like Brett Rogers is a complete nobody.

The best fighter in the world is outside the UFC,
if Brock Lesnar had any interest in fighting the best in the world he wouldn't have gone to the UFC.
His interest was in making money.
Same with Frank Mir, he could have easily gone after Fedor after his wreck,
and at that time the UFC had even less HW's, did he chase the best? no.

Your post is just silly bro. It defies logic to think that anybody should chase Fedor... the UFC is clearly the elite MMA organization on planet Earth. To think that any fighter should turn their back on it to go to a much lesser organization is lunacy.

If Fedor wants to be remembered as the best or even one of the best MMA artists out their it's ON HIM to fight the best fighters.. he controls his own legacy. He's had multiple chances to fight in the UFC and he chooses not to based on greed, fear or both.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:46 AM

The whole UFC hw division is injured and the champ might never fight again.... Better competition my ass
Old 11-27-2009, 04:19 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

I halfway agree with Mir, but at the same time, I feel Fedor did what was best for him and M-1 as the UFC clearly doesn't want to deal with co-promoting and building M-1, and I don't blame them.