Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 02-11-2009, 05:42 AM
Moose

Default Liberians face mass deportation

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/02/09/liberians.deportation/

I'm generally against illegal immigration, but I think this is borderline criminal. These people are generally good citizens, they pay taxes, and don't have a welfare sucking lifestyle, not to mention are productive members of society.

Now, the government says they have to go home. Would you, as a Liberian man, drag your United States citizen children home with you? Back to a country that has seen genocide, and hundreds of thousands of people massacred in the last 15 years? I'm not sure I would, and neither will this man.

From the article:

Quote:
"On Tupero Road they had a killing field. Like every day they took someone to this field and they would just shoot them in front of everybody. It was just terrible," he said. He came to the United States in 1992 and settled in Rhode Island. A civil engineer by education, Akoiwala married and had three children, all of whom are American citizens.

For the past 17 years he's worked, paid his taxes and contributed to his community. He and his wife were granted temporary protection status but now both face deportation. On March 31 they will go from being legal residents to illegal aliens.

"My fear is, who am I going to leave my kids with?" he said. "Who am I going to leave them with? I want to stay here and see them grow up to be responsible citizens and then I can go back."
I don't understand this at all. These people aren't the illegal immigrants that are dangerous, antisocial, or living by and large off of other people. The sad thing is, since they are in well known areas, and they are well documented, deporting them will be a piece of cake for the INS to do.

Oh, and this guy deserves a kick in the nuts:

"It is time for people to go back and rebuild their country," said Dan Stein, president of the Federation for American Immigration Reform. Stein underlines the temporary in "temporary protected status." He said for Liberians to stay when their country is at peace would be an abuse of U.S. hospitality.

"It makes a mockery of the concept of short-term temporary humanitarian protection."

What do you guys think? I know this is a pretty conservative board, I'm curious. Read the article and put your opinion out there.