Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 02-09-2009, 04:31 AM
atomdanger

Default KenFlo training with GSP for Penn

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2009/2/8/...train-with-gsp

Quote:
We don't know whether we'll ever see a fight between BJ Penn and Kenny Florian, but if they do collide, Florian will be training with the man that dominated Penn:

Also slated to make his way down to the "Beautiful Province" for training is Team Sityodtong member Kenny Florian, who looks to benefit from a full training camp with Zahabi and St-Pierre before taking on Penn for the lightweight title later this year.

Florian and Penn is a fascinating fight because we don't know what to expect from BJ. He could come out extremely hungry and ready to prove a point, or he could be a shell of his former self following such a devastating loss.

Florian doesn't have the power or wrestling to implement the same strategy St. Pierre did, but I expect that GSP has a lot of other things to share with Florian about his experience fighting Penn. Among the more important points St. Pierre has made is Penn's inability to deal with body attacks and his weaker core. Perhaps a gameplan oriented around body kicks could lead Florian to victory. Florian did an excellent job using body attacks to keep Joe Stevenson and Roger Huerta off balance.
Smart move I guess, apparently GSP knows what to do.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:21 AM
Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2009/2/8/...train-with-gsp

Smart move I guess, apparently GSP knows what to do.
BJ pissed me off so bad in his fight with GSP I am actually wondering if Florian might give him some trouble. Before I would never have even considered it but now I don't know. I am sure that BJ will still win it though. GSP basically steamrolled BJ, and Kenny won't be able to do that.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:25 AM
que

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh
BJ pissed me off so bad in his fight with GSP I am actually wondering if Florian might give him some trouble. Before I would never have even considered it but now I don't know. I am sure that BJ will still win it though. GSP basically steamrolled BJ, and Kenny won't be able to do that.
tough fight for BJ. florian has been waiting for this moment his whole career and will BJ be motivated as much as florian is motivated?

i see him dancing around BJ and using his leg kicks for 25 minutes. it will look similar to his fights with huerta and stevenson except he won't try to take BJ to the ground
Old 02-09-2009, 05:37 AM
Max

I think BJ knocks Ken-Flo out.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:44 PM
Chuck

K-Flo takes this one..... and BJ will be left with some serious soul searching....
Old 02-09-2009, 12:53 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

I wonder if GSP will teach KenFlo how to hide vaseline on the skin.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:58 PM
Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by que
tough fight for BJ. florian has been waiting for this moment his whole career and will BJ be motivated as much as florian is motivated?

i see him dancing around BJ and using his leg kicks for 25 minutes. it will look similar to his fights with huerta and stevenson except he won't try to take BJ to the ground
I could see that. BJ might have to rush in on Kenny to do damage.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:08 PM
cds

Kenny can be pretty elusive, and he has those nasty elbows in the clinch. I wonder how 1 or 2 huge cuts on BJ's face will affect him.

I see BJ having problems with Ken especially if he is not all there mentally.

Here is my 2 cents.

IF BJ shows up in great condition and mentally on top of the world, I would give BJ the edge of 80% chance of winning.

If BJ shows up in less than great shape and mentally unfocused, or takes Ken lightly then I would give Ken 65% chance of winning.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:08 PM
rearnakedchoke

Bj takes this one ... but que is right in that he is coming off a fight where he was planning to win and retire .... so will the motivation be there??? i really think to beat BJ you gotta negate his boxing ... kenflo is good in the clinch, but can he dictate the fight to be there? I think BJ wins, but it won't look as easy as the Joe Daddy fight
Old 02-09-2009, 06:04 PM
Straight Right

The old stick and move, leg kick plan? Didn't work out so well for AA, although I do believe that Florian would be much more diciplined in executing his gameplan, but I still think that BJ eventually subs or tko's Ken-Flo. I don't really like Penn all that much, but I really doubt BJ has two weak outings in a row. Training with GSP isn't going to make Florian 25-30 pounds bigger or stronger, so I'm not sure how that translate's into being very much of an advantage.