Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Entertainment

Old 11-21-2009, 05:42 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Default Waylon Jennings, Country Hero

I know we got a fair share of Country Music fans around here, so I thought I would share this picture. Waylon Jennings is actually buried here in Mesa, in the public cemetery. He was a true legend and one of my all time favorite country singers. I took this picture not too long ago when we visited his grave.

One my favorite Waylon songs is "The Conversation", with Hank Williams Jr.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoOEEQPiUxE

Enjoy
Old 11-27-2009, 12:32 AM
Mac

Love me some watashee.

Alot of people dont know this about waylon , But he started out as the guitar player for Buddy Holly , yup he was one of the original "Crickets" and he almost died that night with Buddy , Ritchie Valens and the big Bopper , but he decided to ride the bus to the next show and gave up his seat on the plane to the big bopper.

Some of my favorite waylon tunes .
Lonsome , Onry and mean
Luchenbach Texas
Amanda
Ive always been crazy
Old 11-27-2009, 12:43 AM
Mac

What gets me most about country music today , Youve got the legends like Waylon , Hank jr and Sr , The Hag , Paycheck , Cash , Willie , Kristopherson , Jones

Radio stations never play them until they die . I never heard a waylon record spun by a dj but when he passed ,,ahhhhh every dj on the air was a HUGE FAN. Weve got one radio station down in Effingham , 95.7 wcrc , there is a dj there by the name of Bill Burry that plays ALLLLLL the good stuff , the man cringes when he HAS to put a toby kieth song on . But it gets me , there isnt a country singer today falling short of george strait that can even hold a candle to anyof these guys and they get little to no air play. There are a few new guys ill listen to , I like Paisley , Jamey Johnson,Jason aldean and a handful of others but they still dont get close to " think ill just stay here and drink" , the wabash cannon ball, CBCS , or Mamas dont let your babys grow up to be cowboys.

Country radio is in a sad state nowadays . Seems they cater more to the metro sexual boys that dawn j crew gear through the week and put john deere stickers in thier toyota tundras back window . But there are still some guys out there that are givin it a shot and trying to keep it in the right frame of Mind , Jamey Johnson does a good job of it , A local Band by the name of Matt Poss also does a helluva good job at it . But its slowly dying down . One of these days country music wont be represented by Dusty jeans , boots and hard work , Guys like Kenny whatshisface will have sea shell neklaces , white sand beaches , sandles and mai tai's as the face of country music . SOme jackleg thats never bucked a bale of hay in his life singing about a hard days work . Just drives me nuts.
Old 11-27-2009, 02:59 AM
Buzzard

Mac, a newer country band that sounds more old school is BR549. Check them out, I think you'll like them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8fTxwI8YbY First song is That's What I Get which is one of my favorites of theirs.

One of the guys is related to Earl Scruggs. Their CD Tangled in the Pines is great, and I'm not much of a country fan unless it's the old school stuff. Enjoy! Let me know if you like them, I could send you the songs from the disc if you wish courtesy of my brother.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:02 AM
Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
Mac, a newer country band that sounds more old school is BR549. Check them out, I think you'll like them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8fTxwI8YbY First song is That's What I Get which is one of my favorites of theirs.

One of the guys is related to Earl Scruggs. Their CD Tangled in the Pines is great, and I'm not much of a country fan unless it's the old school stuff. Enjoy! Let me know if you like them, I could send you the songs from the disc if you wish courtesy of my brother.
Ive heard some of thier stuff . and your right , they do have a good old time sound . Rare to find nowadays. Its good to see some bands like these guys that are still DOIN IT . not caring about a whole bunch of airplay to appease the masses.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:50 AM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
What gets me most about country music today , Youve got the legends like Waylon , Hank jr and Sr , The Hag , Paycheck , Cash , Willie , Kristopherson , Jones

Radio stations never play them until they die . I never heard a waylon record spun by a dj but when he passed ,,ahhhhh every dj on the air was a HUGE FAN. Weve got one radio station down in Effingham , 95.7 wcrc , there is a dj there by the name of Bill Burry that plays ALLLLLL the good stuff , the man cringes when he HAS to put a toby kieth song on . But it gets me , there isnt a country singer today falling short of george strait that can even hold a candle to anyof these guys and they get little to no air play. There are a few new guys ill listen to , I like Paisley , Jamey Johnson,Jason aldean and a handful of others but they still dont get close to " think ill just stay here and drink" , the wabash cannon ball, CBCS , or Mamas dont let your babys grow up to be cowboys.

Country radio is in a sad state nowadays . Seems they cater more to the metro sexual boys that dawn j crew gear through the week and put john deere stickers in thier toyota tundras back window . But there are still some guys out there that are givin it a shot and trying to keep it in the right frame of Mind , Jamey Johnson does a good job of it , A local Band by the name of Matt Poss also does a helluva good job at it . But its slowly dying down . One of these days country music wont be represented by Dusty jeans , boots and hard work , Guys like Kenny whatshisface will have sea shell neklaces , white sand beaches , sandles and mai tai's as the face of country music . SOme jackleg thats never bucked a bale of hay in his life singing about a hard days work . Just drives me nuts.
Calm down, Mac. Everything will be fine.

Old 11-27-2009, 04:13 AM
TENNESSEAN

Murder on music row.
I feel your pain mac
Old 11-29-2009, 10:58 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Nashville really is a sad state of affairs nowadays, but so is ALL of the music industry. It's all about publishing rights, and no-name writers without the "look" to make it in the mainstream selling their songs to big time artists. There are still some diamonds in the rough though, just gotta know where to look.

When I get around to transferring the rest of my vinyl records to my hard drives, I will post up some old gems. I got a lot of vintage stuff by guys like Cash, Hank, Willie, and others. Lots of stuff not always commonly heard on the compilations and greatest hits cd's that come out every other week.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:38 PM
Robertboxerboy

Thats right, murder on music row. I still gotta alotta Highway Men, waylon, Hank Jr, and Willie Nelson on my mp3. But I also got some toby kieth, Aldean, Jamey Johnson, George Straight, the new stuff. I dont like it when thry try to put "pop" into country. But I like the eletric guitars they put into it everyonce in awhile, but "All My Rowdie Friends Have Settled Down" still hits the spot.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:11 AM
Silverback

Yes I have to thank my Mother, for when I was a wee lad she listen to the best music out there, and I thank God she had a good voice because she would belt them out and I enjoyed every minute of it. That was when country music was just that, music about the country and I think the reason it was so good was because they lived what they sung about, good stuff.