Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Old 11-28-2009, 11:26 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
To who?

Cub Swanson has somewhat of a recognizable name, even to casual fans of the sport. I think you just don't like him from that beef with Pulver,
I mean compared to the norm.

I dont like him because he was personally rude to me on myspace. (that was after the "beef with Pulver") and unlike with Matt Riddle (who some people say is justified in his response to me) Cub Swanson started it.

He's not even that much of a recongisable name
Old 11-28-2009, 04:54 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
I mean compared to the norm.

I dont like him because he was personally rude to me on myspace. (that was after the "beef with Pulver") and unlike with Matt Riddle (who some people say is justified in his response to me) Cub Swanson started it.

He's not even that much of a recongisable name
Well, I never really cared much for Cub anyway, so it's not like I am crusading for the guy on any sort of personal level.

However, I would disagree that he is not a recognizable name. Just his name alone is catchy. I know that sounds silly, but you would be surprised at how much that plays a role. I personally know 3 people who are very casual fans and only really watch the sport when it's playing at the local bar, and they even know who Cub Swanson is. I don't think $18,000 is anywhere near being overpaid for a guy like Cub. Plus, you gotta understand that Cub only got paid $9,000. The only reason his purse was doubled was because he won

If you look at each of the fighters pay on this card, it's clear to see that everybody who won got their purses doubled, and the original paydays were only within a couple thousand dollars of each other. That's pretty much what you were arguing for in the other thread, just on a smaller scale because it's the WEC.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:15 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Well, I never really cared much for Cub anyway, so it's not like I am crusading for the guy on any sort of personal level.

However, I would disagree that he is not a recognizable name. Just his name alone is catchy. I know that sounds silly, but you would be surprised at how much that plays a role. I personally know 3 people who are very casual fans and only really watch the sport when it's playing at the local bar, and they even know who Cub Swanson is. I don't think $18,000 is anywhere near being overpaid for a guy like Cub. Plus, you gotta understand that Cub only got paid $9,000. The only reason his purse was doubled was because he won

If you look at each of the fighters pay on this card, it's clear to see that everybody who won got their purses doubled, and the original paydays were only within a couple thousand dollars of each other. That's pretty much what you were arguing for in the other thread, just on a smaller scale because it's the WEC.
yes I get your point about pay scale and name.

my point is...I dont think (within the current climate of normal low pays) that Cub Swanson should have been estimated a worth that big before winning

now that could just me being mean
Old 11-29-2009, 10:12 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
yes I get your point about pay scale and name.

my point is...I dont think (within the current climate of normal low pays) that Cub Swanson should have been estimated a worth that big before winning

now that could just me being mean

Yeah, I'd say your being a bit harsh, lol

9 grand is peanuts! As sad as it is to say, a lot of fighters don't have much. Many of them are from tough backgrounds, or straight off the street. One of the best things about the fight game is how many success stories it has created for people who would have probably ended up dead or in jail. What kind of message does it send to young fighters with no job, no education, and no future, when they know they could make more money selling drugs than fighting on cable tv?

I'm not making excuses for poor choices, but merely making a point that fighters should be getting paid a lot more in general.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:53 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:

Yeah, I'd say your being a bit harsh, lol

9 grand is peanuts! As sad as it is to say, a lot of fighters don't have much. Many of them are from tough backgrounds, or straight off the street. One of the best things about the fight game is how many success stories it has created for people who would have probably ended up dead or in jail. What kind of message does it send to young fighters with no job, no education, and no future, when they know they could make more money selling drugs than fighting on cable tv?

I'm not making excuses for poor choices, but merely making a point that fighters should be getting paid a lot more in general.
yes...of course rather pay some a lot more, then noone be paid a lot at all. in this instance Cub was the winner, so he deserves more.

I still hate him though
Old 11-29-2009, 11:32 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
yes...of course rather pay some a lot more, then noone be paid a lot at all. in this instance Cub was the winner, so he deserves more.

I still hate him though
I really do get WHY you believe the winner should get more.

It's just never going to be that way, and it don't need to be.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:46 PM
Jason 16

why dont they go and fight in japan or belator or just some other non zaffa controled org
Old 11-29-2009, 03:21 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason 16 View Post
why dont they go and fight in japan or belator or just some other non zaffa controled org
They can, and that can be profitable in the short term for some fighters. However, recent trends have shown that these other orgs just can't stay afloat, or the big names run out of decent fights. Right now, Zuffa has a pretty good lock on the industry.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:33 PM
atomdanger

Quote:
Indeed...most of them have other jobs also....its a shame because you could argue that if they were free to train full time they would perform better.
Oh certainly.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:17 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
I really do get WHY you believe the winner should get more.

It's just never going to be that way, and it don't need to be.
It could and should be that way