Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 11-20-2009, 03:48 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Default Brock Lesnar Update: Hole in his intestine

This is really sad news. In just a few fights, he already became one of the most feared heavyweights of all-time in MMA and to have this happen. Apparently, he was having this problem for over a year and look what he was able to accomplish, that's incredible! If he's able to come back from this and get back to the top of the mountain, what a story that would be.

Get well soon Brock!

http://www.twnpnews.com/messages/24812.php
Quote:
(MMA) Brock Lesnar Update: Hole In His Intestine - Future In Jeopardy
Headline Posted by Ryan Clark on 1:28:24 PM Nov 19, 2009

UFC President Dana White spoke to Yahoo! Sports on Wednesday and provided yet another update on Brock Lesnar's health status. While it was reported earlier this week that Lesnar was suffering from a bacterial infection in his intestines, it turns out he actually had a hole in his intestine and has not been 100% for an entire year.

"Brock was in big pain, he was hurting.... We donít know if heíll ever fight again. He had a hole in his intestine. The (stuff) was leaking into his stomach. Thatís what was causing him so much pain. That and he had abscesses. The doctor told him he hasnít been right for a year. His immune system has been trying to fight this thing and thatís why he was susceptible to getting sick.... Weíll find out more next week. Weíre going to send him to the Mayo Clinic for a couple of days. I donít know what to say. Itís looking better now than last week, but what that means, I donít know."

Brock Lesnar is scheduled to visit the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN early next week for a battery of tests. His trainer Greg Nelson spoketo the Star Tribune this week and said, "No one can tell, but it seems right now it's something he'll definitely recover from." While this should be considered good news, Nelson stressed that it's too early to tell when Lesnar will fight again. This also could be 'damage control' from Lesnar's camp.

Other notes from Dana White include:

On His Current Status: "The family was worried big time, they were freaking out. We don't know if he'll ever fight again."

On What They Found: "He had a hole in his intestine," White said. "The (stuff) was leaking into his stomach. That's what was causing him so much pain. That and he had abscesses. The doctor told him he hasn't been right for a year. His immune system has been trying to fight this thing and that's why he was susceptible to getting sick."

On Brock's Future: "If he's done what he's done at less than 100 percent, then imagine how he'll be if he is 100 percent."
Old 11-20-2009, 04:13 AM
logrus

Thats sucks, I hope he recovers.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:28 AM
Crisco

His return will be the biggest PPV EVER in any sport.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:17 AM

It sounds like he must have had a perforated diverticulum and developed a pericolic abscess. I suspect that the "minor surgery" that Dana White mentioned elsewhere was actually an interventional radiology procedure in which a drain was percutaneously inserted under CT-guidance into the abscess cavity and connected to bulb suction. He is undoubtedly on IV antibiotics. If the perforated diverticulum heals and the drain effectively drains the abscess, the IV antibiotics should eliminate the infection. If the press reports are accurate, and he has an uncomplicated course, he may be cured of the problem in about 4-6 weeks. He will not be able to train with a drain going into his peritoneum and a PICC line in his arm for IV antibiotics. Of course, he could develop every complication known to mankind and end up with a colostomy and be out for months to years . . . or for good.

Last edited by Play The Man; 11-20-2009 at 07:33 AM.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:37 AM
pokerchamp

this sounds very bad to me

The thing about Brock is, he's huge.
It takes years imop to build that kinda of muscle.
Getting this sick is gonna cause him to lose tons of weight
I imagine. It could take years to recover from this.

I had bad food poisening, lost 20lb's or so, and its taken a
long time to put that muscle back on.
Imagine Brock, he's got 5 times the muscle mass of normal
people, he's gonna lose tons of weight, and putting that muscle
back on without steroids & stuff has to take a long time.

Man the ufc is getting screwed these days. Rampage quits,
Brock, Nog, are out. They must be happy to get Tito back at least
Old 11-20-2009, 10:51 AM
Hughes fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man View Post
It sounds like he must have had a perforated diverticulum and developed a pericolic abscess. I suspect that the "minor surgery" that Dana White mentioned elsewhere was actually an interventional radiology procedure in which a drain was percutaneously inserted under CT-guidance into the abscess cavity and connected to bulb suction. He is undoubtedly on IV antibiotics. If the perforated diverticulum heals and the drain effectively drains the abscess, the IV antibiotics should eliminate the infection. If the press reports are accurate, and he has an uncomplicated course, he may be cured of the problem in about 4-6 weeks. He will not be able to train with a drain going into his peritoneum and a PICC line in his arm for IV antibiotics. Of course, he could develop every complication known to mankind and end up with a colostomy and be out for months to years . . . or for good.
Well, pfft, yeeAAh....duh

Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/
Old 11-20-2009, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

My son had a Meckel's Diverticulum at age 4 and had to have surgery to resect his intestines after he almost bled out from it. His diverticulum was made up of stomach type cells and was secreting gastric acid so he was basically digesting his own gut. It was extremely scary and he almost died. That experience is why I became a nurse.

~Amy
Old 11-20-2009, 12:02 PM

Dana is already getting the PR Hype train rolling for Brocks return.

"On the brink of death......"

I can't help but wonder about Dana. I'm not questioning the illness, or Brock for that matter. I just KNOW Dana will turn this into money. That's what he does.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:06 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerchamp View Post
this sounds very bad to me

The thing about Brock is, he's huge.
It takes years imop to build that kinda of muscle.
Getting this sick is gonna cause him to lose tons of weight
I imagine. It could take years to recover from this.

I had bad food poisening, lost 20lb's or so, and its taken a
long time to put that muscle back on.
Imagine Brock, he's got 5 times the muscle mass of normal
people, he's gonna lose tons of weight, and putting that muscle
back on without steroids & stuff has to take a long time.

Man the ufc is getting screwed these days. Rampage quits,
Brock, Nog, are out. They must be happy to get Tito back at least
Actually, muscle memory will allow him to gain it back quite rapidly. His fascia is already stretched by the amount of muscle mass he had back in his wrestling days. He'll be able to pile on the muscle a lot faster than you think, especially because he's an endomorph, his ability to bulk is tremendous. Once he recovers, he'll be back just as good and most likely stronger than ever.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:07 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by F34R View Post
Dana is already getting the PR Hype train rolling for Brocks return.

"On the brink of death......"

I can't help but wonder about Dana. I'm not questioning the illness, or Brock for that matter. I just KNOW Dana will turn this into money. That's what he does.
Yeah, and so will Brock, and you and I will buy into that "PR Hype" and watch Brock's return fight.