Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 02-12-2009, 06:46 PM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 16,993
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundNPound
My point was that the judges are stupid so why give them any more power over the outcome of a fight.
Because a fighter should be punished for low blows, and at present, quite frankly, they arent

Thus...you tell me what stops a fighter going out and deliberately making illegal moves and low blows in order to gain an advantage? I've seen it where several repeats have only led to a Ref warning...but thats still undermined the guy on the receiving end whether they get a time out or not.

What will you say the day that an eyepoke leads to blindness and the end of somebodies career??
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-12-2009, 06:49 PM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 16,993
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar
He is going to get way worse if he doesn't stay the hell away from those counselors! He needs a good Christian counselor.
I was talking about my Siggie
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-12-2009, 06:50 PM
GroundNPound
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
Because a fighter should be punished for low blows, and at present, quite frankly, they arent

Thus...you tell me what stops a fighter going out and deliberately making illegal moves and low blows in order to gain an advantage? I've seen it where several repeats have only led to a Ref warning...but thats still undermined the guy on the receiving end whether they get a time out or not.

What will you say the day that an eyepoke leads to blindness and the end of somebodies career??
I think where your logic fails is that you are painting all refs with the same brush. The responsibility is in the ref....a good ref will give warnings and take points if need be. Train the refs better...don't let a judge decide it.

If an eyepoke was THAT deliberate then AGAIN it is up to the ref to disqualify or not. Not the judge. If a guy's career is over because of an unintentional eye poke then that's just the sad part of the game. It's a contact sport.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-12-2009, 06:51 PM
Neezar's Avatar
Neezar Neezar is offline
SupaDupaMod
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South
Posts: 6,490
Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar
Default

So was I.



Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-12-2009, 06:51 PM
Neezar's Avatar
Neezar Neezar is offline
SupaDupaMod
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South
Posts: 6,490
Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar
Default

Judges are too easy to buy.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-12-2009, 07:00 PM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 16,993
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundNPound
1) I think where your logic fails is that you are painting all refs with the same brush. The responsibility is in the ref....a good ref will give warnings and take points if need be. Train the refs better...

2) don't let a judge decide it.

3) If an eyepoke was THAT deliberate then AGAIN it is up to the ref to disqualify or not. Not the judge. If a guy's career is over because of an unintentional eye poke then that's just the sad part of the game. It's a contact sport.
1) I would be happy if they made a compulsory rulling that for each low blow, which results in a time-out from the Ref, a point is deducted.

2) The Judges dont decide anything unless it goes to decision. Wowser, we kill two birds with one stone. DONT created "accidents" aiding fighter Safety, or the Judges will get ya, aiding to a greater focus on finishing the fights to avoid the Judges.

3) no, we're looking at ways to minimize that chance. If Fighters know they will be in trouble for eyepokes they will be more concentrated on not having accidents. Reduce the number of accidents, reduce the likely hood someone is hurt. Contact sport or not, we should be seen to engage with issues of fighter safety, not shake our heads and say "so sad, to bad"

If you can think of a way to motivate Fighters to 1) finish fights 2) reduce the rising number of lowblows/illegal moves...then I'm all for listening...would you rather we attack the finances instead?

For example, if you repeatedly have accidents, we could say no winners bonus if you win. Lose a K for each "accident" if you lose. But I think thats MORE mean then what i'm suggesting.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-12-2009, 07:10 PM
GroundNPound
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I think most fighters are already motivated to finish the fight because they say it all the time..."Don't leave it in the hands of the judges." Most guys have been screwed on a decision one time or another.

And yeah, I say start taking money away from repeat offenders if it gets that bad. I would just hate to see the judges with any more power.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-14-2009, 05:55 AM
Max
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Dave its not always easy to finish fights. You act like ever time a fight goes to a dec its cause the fighters were not trying hard enough. Dec are bound to happen unless you just let the fights go on till one guy finishes the other.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-14-2009, 12:15 PM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 16,993
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max
You act like ever time a fight goes to a dec its cause the fighters were not trying hard enough. .
No, but I do think some fighters dont try and actually finish. I think that might be on the increase aswell. Some fighters even admit it.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-14-2009, 04:57 PM
Spiritwalker's Avatar
Spiritwalker Spiritwalker is offline
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Gastonia NC
Posts: 4,339
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max
The same thing would have happened had BJ not been able to continue when he hurt his rib against Matt. The fight would have been ruled a TKO for Matt.

It was ruled a TKO for Matt.

http://www.ufc.com/MattHughes
__________________
It is because you chose to get on the mat that makes you the winner. Think about how many people are not on that mat right now. - Luis Sucuri Togno
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.