Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Matt Hughes

Old 11-20-2009, 11:19 PM
TENNESSEAN

Boomtowns a tease.
Arms folded foot tapping
Old 11-21-2009, 02:25 AM
Stump Rules!

I already talked to him on the phone...know aaaaalllllll about it.You suckers are just going to have to wait

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
BoomTown, what's taking you so long, man? Let's here b'out the hunting trip & everything else.

Jeez, you take any longer to post a story/pics & Michelle's gonna start thinking I'm in charge of writing it all!

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 11-21-2009, 02:31 AM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHughesRocks View Post
I already talked to him on the phone...know aaaaalllllll about it.You suckers are just going to have to wait
O, y'all just suck!
Old 11-21-2009, 04:31 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Boomer

OK kiddos here is part two.

I was really looking forward to this trip with Matt. Besides the fact road trips with my buddies are probably my favorite thing in the world to do, Matt had told me about the staff and owners of this hunt place were some really good folks who happened to be Mennonite. I had known a few folks with that particular flavor of Christianity and was looking forward to talking with them about their way of life. The place we went to was called Stillwater Trophy Outfitters and you can check them out here. http://www.stillwatertrophyoutfitters.com/index.php

Once we arrive we are greeted and introductions are made. The family that was running the place were just really nice to be around. I met so many people that week Im having a hard time recalling all, but I believe the owners name was John and his wife Ester. Then out of the kids I think there was Melony and Bethany and Titus. Titus was the camera man. We roll in there and they serve us a banquet for lunch. During the preparation for the lunch Matt and I sat in with the gals making the food and just talked a bit about everything with Matt giving Beth a hard time about a young guy he had met last week that has started courting Bethany. After we eat Matt gets geared up and John asks if I want to ride along to get Matt out to the stand. I say sure and then he asks me if I want to watch the hunt from one of the other blinds and I politely decline. The plan was for Matt to kill out that day and we hit the road again right after so he could make Audra's doctors appointment the next day (Thursday). The last thing I would want would be for me to spook a deer or do something ignorant that would cause him to not kill out and miss that. So I do ride out there with them and see HURDS of deer in this high fence area. We get to the stand and Matt takes some footage and climbs up into the stand with the guide and camera crew closely behind. John and I take off back to the house and I say a little prayer for Matt to get a deer so we can get back. On the way back to the house I saw for the first time an albino deer. It was beautiful and I nearly screamed at John to stop and look, as if this would have been just as new to him. But... I caught myself …. this reaffirmed that I made the right decision to NOT stay out there in a blind.

Back at the house when I walked in the ladies were preparing ANOTHER meal and were singing in old madrigal style harmony old hymns. I was half tempted to rush in there and join, but decided to just listen in the other room for a bit. After they had finished I went in and talked with them for awhile then went out and sat on the front porch in a big rocking chair. The kitchen made an L around one end of the porch and as I sat the girls started singing again and I just sat and listened through the door from the porch to the kitchen. Life had finally slowed down. I could just sit and be .. or in my case just think about 20 different things instead of 100. The girls stopped singing and their conversation switched to something that excited them so I turned my ear to hear what was going on. They were about to go on a walk. They scurry out the door saying, “ Hi Mr. Boomer” and started skipping down the gravel road and again burst into song. They were so excited to go on this walk. Much of what I had been thinking about was the 9 months I had just been through. The past two years I've been to Iraq, this year Afghanistan and I was asking myself for what? With everything I've seen and done these past few years … I lost any sense of worth in it. There are multiple reasons why .. and thats a tale in itself … but as I looked at these young women so happy in life at something so simple as a walk … it choked me up a bit. That's the worth. If it was two weeks ago and I was still in Afghanistan, there would be no walking or singing of this sort. Fear of land mines, IEDs, kidnapping, tribal feuds and the like would have kept these girls out of the streets in fear for their lives. I needed comfort food so I went in and grabbed a hand full of home made cookies they put out and filled up a big coffee mug with some joe. Then went back out on the porch and just sat some more.

Once the gals returned from their walk, they went in the kitchen to finish up dinner and I followed them in to talk some more. Bout 15 mins later Matt and crew walk back in so I walk in the other room to where Matt is taking off his hunting gear and I come up behind him and give him a slight jab in the side to get his attention. He looks up with a disappointed smile. I ask, “Any joy brother?” Matt says, 'Well I didn't see anything I could shoot.”

“Oh too small?” I ask
“No too big … “

The way that this works is that they charge you by the size of deer you kill. Because of the show Matt got to kill a certain size but if he went over that size he'd have to pay for it. The one he saw would have cost him about 20K I think it was. I am quite certain that Matt would have just shot the deer, packed up , paid the guy and got home to be with Audra for her docs appoint for the baby … buuuuttt he was also probably thinking about having to tell Audra, “Hey I'm here for your appointment and it only cost us 20 grand!”

We stayed the night.

I slept pretty well there, but got woken up at about 300am from a set of dual alarms down the hall that had been set by previous guest. It was a woman fire and brim stone preacher on the radio and for a few mins I thought it was the folks that ran the place having some sort of exorcism down stairs. I get up and use the bathroom and when I come back out Matt asks me what that is. I tell him im not sure but I'll go check it out and walk down the hall .. and find the alarms. I really didn't go to sleep again after that. Don't think Matt did either. Matt headed back out at 5:30am and comes back a few hours later with a beauty of a buck. You can see a picture of it on their site.

We are going to eat breakfast and leave so as the gals are getting it ready and singing .. matt decides to interject … “you know Boomer here is a singer too.” He had also briefly mentioned it the night before and the girls were giddy over hearing me sing something with Matt rooting them on. So I agreed to sing something after breakfast … and I did. My voice isn't what it use to be with the Marine corps and a few wars under its belt … but I can still do ok Acapella. On the drive back I was deep in thought and at one point noticed that I had probably not said anything for a good hour or two. I look over at matt and he has his hand propping his chin just looking out the window. I apologize for not being a better conversationalist this trip and he simply says, “Thats ok I enjoy the scenery.” Normally I would have adjusted my mood and started talking .. but one thing bout matt is he will be honest with you. He was fine with just looking out the window and honestly I was loving just driving in my zone … so that was that.

Matt did have one treat for me on the way back. We were going to stop and pick up matts old truck he had rebuilt and he was going to let me drive it back home !!! I LOVE that truck and he knew that .. so he called the guy to see if it was ready. It was so we stopped by to pick it up. This truck is a power house. I loved driving it but at one point bout 10 miles down the road I started just slowing down ….. no matter how much I pushed the gas in. I start to pull over and matt who is in front of me does the same .. then I get juice back so I pull back onto the highway and matt gives me a call. I fill him in, hang up and it does it again. I pull over all the way to a stop. Matt calls and again I fill him in and we try and get back on the road. I had it FLOORed and the truck would only go 40 miles an hour. We pull into a rest area and call the shop guys to come and get it … wasn't quite ready yet. BUT I got to drive it!!!!!!! I love that truck!

Im going to have to have a part three gang … its late again and as usually Im juggling 5 different things at once.

Til then … nite!!

Boom
Boomer is fricking HOT!!!!!

Last edited by Boomer; 11-27-2009 at 10:30 PM.
Old 11-21-2009, 04:54 AM
Stump Rules!

Ding ding done!

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 11-21-2009, 06:04 AM
3dlee

great job on this one. you are one lucky man to spend time with the champ like that. keep it up boomer!
Old 11-21-2009, 06:58 AM
CHITOWNHUGHESFAN

Part 1
Boomer you spell your damn car wrong again. Im taking away from ya lol . Its CAMARO!!Oh and next time a someone comments on your Camaro being a auto and lifts a eyebrow. Tell them you wanted it that way. Do to all the horsepower you plan on putting into later. You dont want to be wasting money on clutches later. You might get a high five for that comment.
Love me some Boomer Tales.

Last edited by CHITOWNHUGHESFAN; 11-21-2009 at 07:10 AM.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:27 AM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Old 11-21-2009, 02:09 PM

Okay, Boom, it's a new day. I'm ready for Part 3.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:44 PM
Silverback

Come on Boomer give it up.