Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 11-14-2009, 08:36 PM
Black Mamba

Default Difference b/w Christianity and Catholicism

I have heard people use the two interchangeably. I have heard people say Catholics and Christians are different, even going along the lines of bashing Catholics (I know the Roman Catholic Church isn't exactly innocent). I've always thought Catholics and Christians were vastly similar, so I decided to look it up.
I found a nice website that does a great compare and contrast between.

http://www.diffen.com/difference/Cat...s_Christianity
Old 11-14-2009, 08:50 PM
Administrator

There are a few problems with that comparison. First off, the Catholic Church deifies Mary, which by itself makes them an apostate sect of Christianity.

Also, saying that the Catholic Church is the original form of Christianity is a total misunderstanding of the word "catholic." Roman Catholicism (usually referred to as just "Catholic" today) didn't exist until about 324 AD. So the Catholic Church that we know today, with the Pope and priests and nuns and Virgin Mary worship, didn't exist until almost 3 centuries after Christ's Resurrection.

The word "catholic" simply means "universal" and it was originally intended to refer to the Gospel's message to all of humanity, not just the Jews.

Also, the original form of Christianity is Judaism.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:13 AM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
There are a few problems with that comparison. First off, the Catholic Church deifies Mary, which by itself makes them an apostate sect of Christianity.

Also, saying that the Catholic Church is the original form of Christianity is a total misunderstanding of the word "catholic." Roman Catholicism (usually referred to as just "Catholic" today) didn't exist until about 324 AD. So the Catholic Church that we know today, with the Pope and priests and nuns and Virgin Mary worship, didn't exist until almost 3 centuries after Christ's Resurrection.

The word "catholic" simply means "universal" and it was originally intended to refer to the Gospel's message to all of humanity, not just the Jews.

That is what I was going to say.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:58 AM
Stump Rules!

And this is why Nathan Rosario is hot

Quote:

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 11-15-2009, 07:03 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
There are a few problems with that comparison. First off, the Catholic Church deifies Mary, .
Not according to the Vatican that says "Worship of Mary is abhorant"

Does Marian worship take place...yes probably, but thats just Catholics not following Rome.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:30 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Mamba View Post
I have heard people use the two interchangeably. I have heard people say Catholics and Christians are different, even going along the lines of bashing Catholics (I know the Roman Catholic Church isn't exactly innocent). I've always thought Catholics and Christians were vastly similar, so I decided to look it up.
I found a nice website that does a great compare and contrast between.

http://www.diffen.com/difference/Cat...s_Christianity
The Early Church Existed from 33AD until the time of the Conversion of Emporar Constantine. Constantine is responsible for the Roman Catholic Church. Therefore Roman Catholicism is not as old as The Early Church, and infact the Baptist Church is slightly older then the Early Church as its the missing denominational link between Jew and Christian. Think John the Baptist who was busy in the river Jordan before the ressurection

The New Year is not a religious festival. If your lucky the major Cathedrals might hold a watchnight vigil. Also, the other denominations only celebrate certain Saint Days, and all of those will be derived from the Roman Canon

The Protestant Church is also rulled by Canon Law but its not necc the same Canon as the Roman Canon. Liturgy in the Protestant Church is decreed by the governing synod of the Denomination. The most obvious case of this was during the swineflu outbreak last year when the Anglican Church was able to tell its clergy to only use intinction at Communion to limit the threat of contageous diseases.

The Roman Catholics have a specific Council set up for the Interpretation of Scripture and the creation of Doctrines. This Counil is known as "The Doctrine for The Congregation of The Faith" the head of which I believe is a Cabinet position in Vatican Politics. This was seen just this past week when Benedict tried to help cause the break up of the Anglican Church by issuing an "Apostolic Constitution" that encourages who diocise of Anglicanism to turn to Rome and receive unprecedented exceptions from strict Roman Dogma called "ordinariates" that bassically allow those Diocise to keep the Book of Common Prayer and remain low churches, whilst offcially being members of Rome. Under Pope John-Paul 2nd, Benedict (the present Pope) was infact Cardinal Ratzinger, Head of the Doctrine for the Congregation of The Faith. We all know what attocities in past centuries this government department has been responsible for. Inquizition anyone

The problem with Rome is that it changes its mind with each new Pope. Penance hasnt really been a core doctrine since Rome lost political power in Europe several centuries ago. All Catholics I have ever had contact with believe in Once Saved Always Saved...but Rome shifts its views so often from a Historical point of view it depends WHEN in History you are enquring. The Roman Church for example used to believe in Purgatory, before John-Paul 2 got rid of it. The Romans also used to believe without a Roman Catholic Burrial, the soul cant go to Heaven...they tried that during the Reformation by refusing to burry the dead in the hopes that King Henry would back down.

As soon as Rome became a political power, they decided to inherit as theirs the predecessors of Constantinial Popes, this was about 20 odd Popes who were Bishop of Rome under the Early Church, the first of which was Saint Peter. This is a hindsight view. Those Bishops were Early Church and infact persecuted by the same Government who accepted them at Constantine. The Government that set up the Roman Catholic Church in the 3rd Century, is the same insitution that murdered Saint Peter. That little fact is never really spoken about

Outside of America, the Roman Church is accepted as a Christian Denomination. Some heavily Evangelical Americans would be the only to object. Rome has a similar view to the Evangelical Americans. According to Rome (although the Vatican hasnt explicitly said so since the Reformation) nothing has changed. You still cant be Christian, unless you are Roman (of course not even the Roman Catholics outside of Rome believe that any more) Benedict is an old hardline conservative. He would like to reverse Vatican Two (A council which librilized Catholicism last century) and return the Vatican to political power. He will not accept full communion with Anglicans or the Protestant Church (even though we accept Him, excluding the American Evangelicals) This is why he is doing his best to help the Anglican Communion to collapse.

I have little to no problem with Roman Liturgy, I have a few minor problems with Roman Tradition...but Apostolic Succession is bollox in their application of it, and without that its impossilbe to be a member of that denomination.