Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 11-14-2009, 04:37 AM
Administrator

Default Barna Survey Examines Changes in Worldview Among Christians over the Past 13 Years

http://www.barna.org/barna-update/ar...-past-13-years

Pretty interesting and very sad article. Here's an excerpt, you can click on the link to see how they defined a biblical worldview:

Quote:
Components of Worldview Thinking

Varying numbers of Americans embrace the different aspects of biblical worldview thinking. The survey found that:

One-third of all adults (34%) believe that moral truth is absolute and unaffected by the circumstances. Slightly less than half of the born again adults (46%) believe in absolute moral truth.

Half of all adults firmly believe that the Bible is accurate in all the principles it teaches. That proportion includes the four-fifths of born again adults (79%) who concur.

Just one-quarter of adults (27%) are convinced that Satan is a real force. Even a minority of born again adults (40%) adopt that perspective.

Similarly, only one-quarter of adults (28%) believe that it is impossible for someone to earn their way into Heaven through good behavior. Not quite half of all born again Christians (47%) strongly reject the notion of earning salvation through their deeds.

A minority of American adults (40%) are persuaded that Jesus Christ lived a sinless life while He was on earth. Slightly less than two-thirds of the born again segment (62%) strongly believes that He was sinless.

Seven out of ten adults (70%) say that God is the all-powerful, all-knowing creator of the universe who still rules it today. That includes the 93% of born again adults who hold that conviction.
Also, this not-so-shocking statistic:
Quote:
Other groups that possess a below average likelihood of having a biblical worldview included people who describe themselves as liberal on social and political matters (also less than one-half of one percent); Catholics (2%); Democrats (4%) and residents of the Northeast (4%).
Old 11-14-2009, 01:07 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Very sad indeed.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar View Post
Very sad indeed.
I think what I'm most shocked about was the results that showed that only 46% of "Born-Again" Christians belief in absolute truth, only 40% of those "Born-Again" Christians polled believe that Satan is a real being, and only 62% of those same "Born-Again" Christians believe that Christ was sinless.

I think this just reveals the sad state of Christianity in America.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:05 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
I think what I'm most shocked about was the results that showed that only 46% of "Born-Again" Christians belief in absolute truth, only 40% of those "Born-Again" Christians polled believe that Satan is a real being, and only 62% of those same "Born-Again" Christians believe that Christ was sinless.

I think this just reveals the sad state of Christianity in America.
or it could be the way they phrased the question...and more accuratley who they identify as Christians...alot of people in this country if asked what religion they were would say Christian...when they arent at all....the likelihood is that they have included a large proportion of heathen who claim to be Christian in the Christian bracket, thus producing faulty results.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
or it could be the way they phrased the question...and more accuratley who they identify as Christians...alot of people in this country if asked what religion they were would say Christian...when they arent at all....the likelihood is that they have included a large proportion of heathen who claim to be Christian in the Christian bracket, thus producing faulty results.
Well, if you read the article, they define their terms "biblical worldview" and "born-again Christian." So, I doubt it's manipulative testing on their part (although I would like to see the actual survey). I think what this does reveal is just how far the Christian Church in America has strayed from the truth.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:36 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Well, if you read the article, they define their terms "biblical worldview" and "born-again Christian." So, I doubt it's manipulative testing on their part (although I would like to see the actual survey). I think what this does reveal is just how far the Christian Church in America has strayed from the truth.
Maybe, I dont know, im just always weary of Statistics because you can make them say whatever you want by looking at them in different ways or encouraging a result by angled questions.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:56 PM
Chris F

Quote:
http://www.barna.org/barna-update/ar...-past-13-years

Pretty interesting and very sad article. Here's an excerpt, you can click on the link to see how they defined a biblical worldview:

Also, this not-so-shocking statistic:
You forgot to include 9-10 Matt Hughes forum members think drinking is a Christlike behavior. just teasing but I think this view is why there are so many disagreements in the Body.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:56 PM
CAVEMAN

I strongly recommend the book "The Death of Truth: What's Wrong With Multiculturalism, the Rejection of Reason and the New Postmodern Diversity"
written by Dennis McCallum

It is sad, but many so-called Christians do not believe that the WORD OF GOD is infallible. Hence, absolute truth does not exist. Plus, the emerging church seems to be doing everything in it's power to eradicate the gospel and form some sort of new spirituality. People like Brian Mclaren, Doug Pagitt, and Tony Jones are leaving the Jesus of the Bible and teaching a whole different gospel. AND MANY are getting caught up in it.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:08 PM
Crisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F View Post
You forgot to include 9-10 Matt Hughes forum members think drinking is a Christlike behavior. just teasing but I think this view is why there are so many disagreements in the Body.
I'll toast to Jesus later when I drink my glass of "old" wine with dinner.

After all the old wine is better.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:22 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVEMAN View Post
I strongly recommend the book "The Death of Truth: What's Wrong With Multiculturalism, the Rejection of Reason and the New Postmodern Diversity"
written by Dennis McCallum

It is sad, but many so-called Christians do not believe that the WORD OF GOD is infallible. Hence, absolute truth does not exist. Plus, the emerging church seems to be doing everything in it's power to eradicate the gospel and form some sort of new spirituality. People like Brian Mclaren, Doug Pagitt, and Tony Jones are leaving the Jesus of the Bible and teaching a whole different gospel. AND MANY are getting caught up in it.
You know the Ironey about Post-Modernity is that it came about DIRECTLY as a search for ABSOLUTE Truth...and in a weired sence the Church as an Institution is completely to blame for denying Truthes which bore no threat to the Gospel whats-so-ever.

Five Hundred Years Ago there was at least stability and a believf in Christianity as Absolute Truth throughout the whole of Europe, Most of Africa, a large portion of Asia and both American Continents. Yes it was led and dictated by a political and fallen insitution that well overstept its boundaries....but it was at least, a constant...it may have been tyranical, but it held everything together under one absolute, and it was, largely THE Absolute.

The Rebellion and internal bickering of Denominations WITHIN the Christian Church, caused largely by this Tyranny established for the first time on a mass scale (the Orthodox breakaway wasnt mass, and wasnt much varied) the belieif that individual Christians, outside from the Established Church could interpret Scripture for themselves. Well...it was Freedom from Tyranny in one sense...unfortunately the price tag was chaos...with no one interpretation, ANYONE can claim authority...and not everyones authority is accurate or impartial or correct. So what you end up with is no "church" at all...but a whole load of body parts which each think the Body of Christ is slightly different...at least a Brain, Tyrannical though it is...does stop the hand from believeing it knows better.

Then in that dissarray the Church was abandoned on an unprecetended scale when what had been the authority, and was still a large mouthpiece, went and denied scientific fact...maybe out of fear, probably out of tradition...and the Secular Deists invented their own Church. The "Enlightenment" was actually a step back. It too was searching for the absolute truth, its goal is the same as the Church in one sense, it doesnt desire to create falseties, what it desires is to uncover truth...and when the church rejected an obvious truth, she undermined her entire being...and the Enlightenment Philosophers ran with it...how ironic the diest who came up with the idea of the clockmaker God...was called Emmanuel Kant....do you know what the meaning behind his name is??? It means "GOD indwelling" and yet, this guy pushed GOD further away then EVER before.

The reaction to the Enlightenment was Modernity, a structured, ordered society which worked on rationale, reason and logic. What it accidently did was remove something vital from the Human population that the Church had given them quite apart from Christianity. Its called Mysticism.

Actually people crave for the unknown and uncontrollable in a way...they dont want to embrace it...but they find a world where everything can be scientifically explained as, sterile, boring...there is no mystery, no excitement.

So the counter Culture to Modernity, was the Gothique...and what that opened up was magic and mystery on such a basic level it could only be filled by pagenism...it really was that imature in terms of development...there needed to be no deep mystery with a story...just the thought of a medium, or something...how the medium was gifted, and where the gifts came from didnt matter...just that there was something magical.

Then came the wars and what was left of a GOD fearing Society in Europe perished, litterally, on Battlefields on the continent, their decendants let down their hair when the war was over because of such relief...and before they know it...they've come too, in a world with no rules. Post Modernity is philosophical anarchy, and we ARE living in it...and people actually cant handle all the existentialism, and epistemology...and they crack...the rise in mental health issues is a clear sign of it...people have no purpose, have no sense of right or wrong.

They NEED order, they NEED structure, they NEED a tyranical Absolute...because to be without one is to be dropped into a void of complete meaninglessness...and only in the last thirty years have people BEGUN to realize this....and...there has been no change...its only getting worse as technology advances