Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Old 11-13-2009, 05:52 AM
atomdanger

Default Details about Fedor's Affliction Contract

Quote:
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/

The Promotional Agreement.

--Fedor is to be paid a $300,000 purse per fight.

--The contract arranges for four first class tickets and three coach tickets from St. Petersburg to wherever the fight is. It also arranges for four first class hotel rooms for up to five nights, round trip transportation on the ground, and meal allowances. This section is more extravagant than equivalent UFC contract provisions for its top stars.

-- The contract calls for three fights under the Affliction banner, and makes Affliction the exclusive home of Fedor fights in the United States. However, the contract states that any fight between Fedor Emelianenko and Randy Couture is excluded from the contract and can take place elsewhere. It's clear that when this contract was signed Fedor and M-1 were still shopping around a potential Couture fight incase he ever got out of his contract. This also further confirms that Affliction never had the rights to this fight.

--The contract states that it ends on the earlier of two dates: March 31, 2009 or after Fedor's last fight, unless the contract is extended. This will be a serious litigation battleground; M-1 will argue that Affliction extended the contract by promoting a third show. I find this argument fairly convincing.

--Affliction agreed to make all efforts to feature a M-1 logo on the mat. Fedor was allowed to choose any sponsor as long as there was no conflict with Affliction.

--Fedor Emelinaenko reserved all rights to distribute and exploit his bouts in Russia and Asia. He had the right to retain all revenue from the sale, license, or any other exploitation of his reserved rights to market the broadcast. There are other specifics regarding Affliction's responsibility to provide Fedor and M-1 with a high definition feed. The rights include streaming rights, and extend beyond Fedor's fights to the undercard and preliminary fights. You can imagine the UFC would never agree to such a term.

There are a number of other important and interesting terms, but those are the essential ones.

The Consulting Agreement

--M-1 was to provide consulting on all the following topics: International bout consulting, international television, fighter scouting, location for future bouts recommendations, television-related opportunities, international sponsorships, and bout tourism.

--M-1 was also required to fully cooperate and assist in the advertising and promotion of each fight.

--In exchange for these consulting services, Affliction agreed to pay M-1 a consulting fee of $1,200,000 per fight.

--Affliction was required to promote the M-1 Global brand through promotional activities including: Articles in event programs, M-1 Global's logo incorporated into Affliction advertising, M-1 logo recognition with event advertising, public address announcements during the bouts, the airing of M-1 videos announcements during events, and the creation and sale of co-branded M-1 and Affliction event posters.

I believe there is still one more consulting agreement out there based on my reading of M-1's lawsuit, but Affliction did not disclose it here. Just counting these two agreements, Fedor Emelianenko received $300,000 per fight while M-1 Global received 1.2 million. Fedor Emelianenko is a 20% owner of M-1 Global.
Obtained because of the current lawsuit deal going on.
Interesting that he noted 5 tickets and hotel for 5 nights is more than the UFC's big stars get.
That seems completely reasonable for a champion.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:19 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

The only thing ridiculous about it is all the M-1 Global stuff. M-1 Global is just living off of Fedor's name. As soon as he's done fighting, the company will die. The whole "co-promotion" thing with M-1 is a joke and I don't blame Dana for refusing to do business like that. M-1 would just try to succeed off of the UFC's name.

Last edited by rockdawg21; 11-13-2009 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:21 PM
Hughes fanboy

So...HOW is he suing them? What are the alleged damages to Fedor?

Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/
Old 11-13-2009, 03:59 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
The only thing ridiculous about it is all the M-1 Global stuff. M-1 Global is just living off of Fedor's name. As soon as he's done fighting, the company will die. The whole "co-promotion" thing with M-1 is a joke and I don't blame Dana for refusing to do business like that. M-1 would just try to succeed off of the UFC's name.
M-1 Global might be a "joke", but they just had their premiere fighter featured on network television in front of 5 million people.

Dana might not like M-1, or co-promoting, but it's for all the wrong reasons.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:15 PM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

To bad I ain't a big name MMA fighter that millions and millions of people want to watch fight! That can be some very nice paycheck's! And Folk's I don't Blame him for negotiating the best deal he can!
Old 11-13-2009, 07:31 PM
Crisco

The m1 stuff is garbage.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:44 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENTUCKYREDBONE View Post
To bad I ain't a big name MMA fighter that millions and millions of people want to watch fight! That can be some very nice paycheck's! And Folk's I don't Blame him for negotiating the best deal he can!
I don't blame him either, but I also don't blame Dana for not co-promoting with M-1. In Fedor's world, he did was was best for him, and in Dana's world, he did what was best for him. Still doesn't change that M-1 is a joke organization that will die when Fedor stops fighting. However, the UFC will still be around long after Fedor's done fighting.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:47 PM
Crisco

Fedor is not worth getting partnered with M-1.

The UFC REALLY does not need him. Lesnar sells more ppvs then Fedor ever will.

The UFC did what was best for them and I'd rather the UFC be better of then Fedor to be honest.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:14 PM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco View Post
Fedor is not worth getting partnered with M-1.

The UFC REALLY does not need him. Lesnar sells more ppvs then Fedor ever will.

The UFC did what was best for them and I'd rather the UFC be better of then Fedor to be honest.
You said it, Dana is worried about draw, NOT about the best fighters.
Old 11-14-2009, 03:13 AM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
I don't blame him either, but I also don't blame Dana for not co-promoting with M-1. In Fedor's world, he did was was best for him, and in Dana's world, he did what was best for him. Still doesn't change that M-1 is a joke organization that will die when Fedor stops fighting. However, the UFC will still be around long after Fedor's done fighting.
I really don't have any disagreement with that! I don't blame either side!