Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 11-15-2009, 03:20 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
You have to have your FOID like Nater said . If you are buying a hand gun you must be over 21 years old and you have to leave the gun at the store for the first 48 hours , its called the cool down period. In case you werte planning on shooting your wife or something and are buying a gun for that reason , the make you wait 48 hours .

Buttttttt , if your smart youll just buy a shotgun or a rifle , the cool down period on a long gun is only 24 hours ha ha hah
and an Uzi is classified as a rifle in some states,,,

Go figure... and a little searching on the internet and about 80 bucks turns it into a fully auto..

In NC, you can go buy a shotgun and some rifles in Wal-Mart/ Target and the like.. the hunting stuff is notmally near the hardware section where you can buy a Hacksaw for the barrel and a normal saw for the stock..

Here is a 5 days waiting peroid after you are issues a permit to purchase.. and the permit normaly takes about 2 weeks...
Old 11-15-2009, 06:49 PM
bradwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscomc View Post
Hey guys, I was wondering if you could help me understand something. I have always been curious as to what exactly the gun acquisition process is in the states? From the time I was young, and from what I have been told by relative living in the states, getting a gun is as easy as picking up a fork. Now obviously this is blowing it up real nice, and i know that the media, and pop culture like to make it seem as if crazies are roaming the streets with assault rifles sometimes, but how exactly do you get a firearm????

For example, here in canada you have to do the following.

1) Take a firearm practical course (usually 48 hrs of training)
2) Take a firearm safety corse (usually 12 hrs)
3) Submit proof of these documents to a licence bureau along with your application for a gun licence

4) Wait a few months so the GOVT can do a full background check and mail your licence.

----You wont get it if: you a convicted criminal, awaiting trial, lack proper proof of citizenship yadda yadda. And it can be revoked if you do commit a crime.

----Now once you have the licence, you can go out buy pretty whatever you want with no hassle: rifles, pistols, ammunition....anything but SMG's and a few others.

I always thought this was a good practice. I dont think guns are bad ( i like em alot ), but I do think that wrong person behind them can be bad, like the wrong person behind a car, hence a licence.

But what about you, friends?
never mind him folks...everyone already knows there are no guns in Canada.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:16 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
you have to leave the gun at the store for the first 48 hours , its called the cool down period. In case you werte planning on shooting your wife or something and are buying a gun for that reason , the make you wait 48 hours .
Yep, because if you still want to shoot your wife after 48 hours, then she probably really deserves it.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:59 PM
Twinsmama

In Florida you just have to pass a background check to buy a gun (from a dealer). I think you also have to be 21. Most places won't let you buy a gun and ammo at the same time. Even when you buy them at gun shows they run a background check. No license is required to own a gun.

Concealed weapons are now good for 7 years. They take about 3-4 months to get after all paperwork is submitted. You must have a gun safety course and pass another background check. Oh and of course pay $75 + fingerprint processing. The gun safety courses are offered at the gun shows and usually only take about 3 hours.

If you were born after 7/1975 you have to take a hunter safety course to get a hunting license but you can use that certificate for a concealed weapons permit. The hunter safety course is two 8 hour days. I wonder why it takes 16 hours to learn how to hunt but you are qualified to carry a gun through a crowded store after only a 3 hour course?
Old 11-16-2009, 02:00 PM
Twinsmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
Yep, because if you still want to shoot your wife after 48 hours, then she probably really deserves it.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:29 PM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker View Post
and an Uzi is classified as a rifle in some states,,,

Go figure... and a little searching on the internet and about 80 bucks turns it into a fully auto..

In NC, you can go buy a shotgun and some rifles in Wal-Mart/ Target and the like.. the hunting stuff is notmally near the hardware section where you can buy a Hacksaw for the barrel and a normal saw for the stock..

Here is a 5 days waiting period after you are issues a permit to purchase.. and the permit normally takes about 2 weeks...
I'll have to research it more but I'm thinking that Fully Automatic Firearms require a special federal permit! Plus if memory serves converting a semi auto over to full auto is a Federal offence! Personally I don't think you should have to have a permit for any of it as long as you ain't some big time felon!