Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 11-12-2009, 06:01 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Well, that's exactly the point. There is no reason to think that the originally selected members were inadequate. Diversity is not something you should have to prove, your group is either diverse or it's not.

This whole story just stinks of PC bullcrap with an ironic twist. Their attempt to seem diverse only ended up backfiring now because THIS is the story people are talking about. People would not have cared in the first place, but now it's an issue. Also, it's even more hilarious because the black guy ends up forgetting his uniform and doesn't even get to perform anyway. That will only add more fuel to the fire of racist, yet hilarious, comments. So basically, doing this only resulted in utter failure and I hope they learned from their mistake.

BTW, there should be no inner struggle over that issue. Quality trumps diversity every time, no questions asked.
no, but i doubt the people who were picked were chosen based on the quality of work they do ... i could be wrong ... it's like the whole thing of "what do you call a doctor who finishes at the bottom of his class? a doctor" ... so if there are brown people (i am sure it was a brown dude who forgot his uniform) or black people or women in this part of the military, why is it that only white men were chosen? sure it may have been, a you, you and you go thing .. i don't think that it was done with malice, but i think their has to be more thought put into these things ..
Old 11-12-2009, 06:03 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man View Post
J.B., not that it matters but the replacement midshipman was Pakistani and not black. I suspect that some of the midshipmen probably helped the replacement "forget" his uniform by taking it.
See, I just I assumed he was black because he forgot his work uniform

Old 11-12-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
no, but i doubt the people who were picked were chosen based on the quality of work they do ... i could be wrong ... it's like the whole thing of "what do you call a doctor who finishes at the bottom of his class? a doctor" ... so if there are brown people (i am sure it was a brown dude who forgot his uniform) or black people or women in this part of the military, why is it that only white men were chosen? sure it may have been, a you, you and you go thing .. i don't think that it was done with malice, but i think their has to be more thought put into these things ..
I disagree, I am sure the original picks were based on merit. "Why is it that only white men were chosen? Because the top 8 out of 28 were white males. If the top 8 out of 28 were females then they deserved to be awarded the honor of presenting at the World Series.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:26 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:

Why do you doubt that? Is it not logical to assume that the best people would get the job based on performance?

Also, why should it matter? Why should they have to sit there and worry about if there is a black, muslim, woman, or whatever type of person there? If this truly is supposed to be about treating everybody equally, it should not matter one bit.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:52 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Why do you doubt that? Is it not logical to assume that the best people would get the job based on performance?

Also, why should it matter? Why should they have to sit there and worry about if there is a black, muslim, woman, or whatever type of person there? If this truly is supposed to be about treating everybody equally, it should not matter one bit.
dude, because if i agreed with you, there would be no discussion on this forum .. LOL ...
Old 11-12-2009, 07:18 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:

LOL, and the irony of it all is blacks are the ones who noticed they are missing from the group. No complaints from Hispanics, Arabs, Asians, etc. involved when these types of things happen.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:19 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
dude, because if i agreed with you, there would be no discussion on this forum .. LOL ...