Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 11-12-2009, 06:01 PM
rearnakedchoke
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Well, that's exactly the point. There is no reason to think that the originally selected members were inadequate. Diversity is not something you should have to prove, your group is either diverse or it's not.

This whole story just stinks of PC bullcrap with an ironic twist. Their attempt to seem diverse only ended up backfiring now because THIS is the story people are talking about. People would not have cared in the first place, but now it's an issue. Also, it's even more hilarious because the black guy ends up forgetting his uniform and doesn't even get to perform anyway. That will only add more fuel to the fire of racist, yet hilarious, comments. So basically, doing this only resulted in utter failure and I hope they learned from their mistake.

BTW, there should be no inner struggle over that issue. Quality trumps diversity every time, no questions asked.
no, but i doubt the people who were picked were chosen based on the quality of work they do ... i could be wrong ... it's like the whole thing of "what do you call a doctor who finishes at the bottom of his class? a doctor" ... so if there are brown people (i am sure it was a brown dude who forgot his uniform) or black people or women in this part of the military, why is it that only white men were chosen? sure it may have been, a you, you and you go thing .. i don't think that it was done with malice, but i think their has to be more thought put into these things ..
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-12-2009, 06:03 PM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man View Post
J.B., not that it matters but the replacement midshipman was Pakistani and not black. I suspect that some of the midshipmen probably helped the replacement "forget" his uniform by taking it.
See, I just I assumed he was black because he forgot his work uniform


Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-12-2009, 06:16 PM
Play The Man's Avatar
Play The Man Play The Man is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
no, but i doubt the people who were picked were chosen based on the quality of work they do ... i could be wrong ... it's like the whole thing of "what do you call a doctor who finishes at the bottom of his class? a doctor" ... so if there are brown people (i am sure it was a brown dude who forgot his uniform) or black people or women in this part of the military, why is it that only white men were chosen? sure it may have been, a you, you and you go thing .. i don't think that it was done with malice, but i think their has to be more thought put into these things ..
I disagree, I am sure the original picks were based on merit. "Why is it that only white men were chosen? Because the top 8 out of 28 were white males. If the top 8 out of 28 were females then they deserved to be awarded the honor of presenting at the World Series.
__________________
"Be of good comfort, Master Ridley, and play the man! We shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out."
--Hugh Latimer, October 16, 1555
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-12-2009, 06:26 PM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
no, but i doubt the people who were picked were chosen based on the quality of work they do ... i could be wrong ... it's like the whole thing of "what do you call a doctor who finishes at the bottom of his class? a doctor" ... so if there are brown people (i am sure it was a brown dude who forgot his uniform) or black people or women in this part of the military, why is it that only white men were chosen? sure it may have been, a you, you and you go thing .. i don't think that it was done with malice, but i think their has to be more thought put into these things ..

Why do you doubt that? Is it not logical to assume that the best people would get the job based on performance?

Also, why should it matter? Why should they have to sit there and worry about if there is a black, muslim, woman, or whatever type of person there? If this truly is supposed to be about treating everybody equally, it should not matter one bit.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-12-2009, 06:52 PM
rearnakedchoke
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Why do you doubt that? Is it not logical to assume that the best people would get the job based on performance?

Also, why should it matter? Why should they have to sit there and worry about if there is a black, muslim, woman, or whatever type of person there? If this truly is supposed to be about treating everybody equally, it should not matter one bit.
dude, because if i agreed with you, there would be no discussion on this forum .. LOL ...
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-12-2009, 07:18 PM
rockdawg21's Avatar
rockdawg21 rockdawg21 is offline
I'm kind of a big deal
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 5,584
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Why do you doubt that? Is it not logical to assume that the best people would get the job based on performance?

Also, why should it matter? Why should they have to sit there and worry about if there is a black, muslim, woman, or whatever type of person there? If this truly is supposed to be about treating everybody equally, it should not matter one bit.
LOL, and the irony of it all is blacks are the ones who noticed they are missing from the group. No complaints from Hispanics, Arabs, Asians, etc. involved when these types of things happen.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-12-2009, 07:19 PM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
dude, because if i agreed with you, there would be no discussion on this forum .. LOL ...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.