Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 11-10-2009, 01:50 AM
Super Moderator

Default Proverbs 31 Woman

So during the worship service at church this last Sunday I really started thinking about my mother and how much I appreciate her. She not only took care of our physical and emotional needs but our spiritual needs as well. Unfortunately my dad was not raised in a church and he wasn't the spiritual head of the household. He did go to church if mom went but that was it. So mom stepped up and made sure we got the education we needed.

While sitting in the church service it really hit home how comfortable and happy I always feel in church. It's home. No matter where I move or what happens I can always step into a Godly church and find a home. I happen to be Methodist and have always gone to Methodist churches. I know the order of the service. I know the Doxology, the Nicean creed, that communion is the first Sunday of every month, etc. I can't imagine how it would feel to not know any of that. It would be extremely difficult as an adult to decide to go to church and not have that foundation.

So in honor of my mother I'd like to start a discussion on the ideal, God fearing woman, Proverbs 31 woman.

Proverbs 31:10-31
10 A wife of noble character who can find?
She is worth far more than rubies.
11 Her husband has full confidence in her
and lacks nothing of value.
12 She brings him good, not harm,
all the days of her life.
13 She selects wool and flax
and works with eager hands.
14 She is like the merchant ships,
bringing her food from afar.
15 She gets up while it is still dark;
she provides food for her family
and portions for her servant girls.
16 She considers a field and buys it;
out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.
17 She sets about her work vigorously;
her arms are strong for her tasks.
18 She sees that her trading is profitable,
and her lamp does not go out at night.
19 In her hand she holds the distaff
and grasps the spindle with her fingers.
20 She opens her arms to the poor
and extends her hands to the needy.
21 When it snows, she has no fear for her household;
for all of them are clothed in scarlet.
22 She makes coverings for her bed;
she is clothed in fine linen and purple.
23 Her husband is respected at the city gate,
where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.
24 She makes linen garments and sells them,
and supplies the merchants with sashes.
25 She is clothed with strength and dignity;
she can laugh at the days to come.
26 She speaks with wisdom,
and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
27 She watches over the affairs of her household
and does not eat the bread of idleness.
28 Her children arise and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her:
29 "Many women do noble things,
but you surpass them all."
30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.
31 Give her the reward she has earned,
and let her works bring her praise at the city gate

A website that I liked that explained it a little bit and helps put it into perspective for today's women:
http://www.wcg.org/lit/bible/poet/prov31.htm

Thoughts, comments, questions? Is this all too much to ask of a woman? Does anyone truly strive for this? How many men really look for these things in a wife?

I look forward to having a discussion with women and men on this topic.

~Amy
Old 11-10-2009, 03:07 AM
Administrator

This reminds me of a thread I started in the woodshed not to long ago.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:37 AM
RG8144

I am fortunate to have a mother AND a wife who fit the Proverbs 31 model exceedingly. I count myself and my future children very blessed knowing that we will continue to have input into our lives from such godly women. Not much more that I could ask for in that department. In terms of the command in Collossians for "Husbands love your wives," my wife makes this very easy for me...almost too easy because I am constantly seeing her carry out this Proverbs 31 lifestyle and yet still be tender and responsive to my input in her life.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
This reminds me of a thread I started in the woodshed not to long ago.

This is not Hillbilly Woman or Redneck Woman, Mark.

~Amy
Old 11-10-2009, 12:36 PM
Twinsmama

I think that a woman is a very important part of a household. I am always the first to rise and last to bed. I make sure our house runs smoothly. everything from bills to keeping people happy. I work my ass off and rarely have any down time. I am proud of that. I am old fashioned in my beliefs though. I do not think the household that I run would exist if I didn't have a husband to be the backbone. I make decisions because I usually know how we both feel. My husband trusts I make good decisions to keep things running smoothly. If he wants something different though I do it his way. He is the Head of the house.

I strive to be like that. My friends tell me that their husbands cook and clean and it just boggles my mind. I can't imagine that and I don't think I would even like it. I married a man to do manly things not wash dishes.

I'm sure husbands look for this. who wouldn't want someone to do all that stuff?haha
Old 11-10-2009, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

I really like that the portrait painted in Proverbs 31 the woman has interests outside of the home as well. She isn't sitting at home waiting on her husband to tell her what to do. She compliments him as his partner and is able to think and make decisions on her own. She brings in money and her husband trusts her to use her judgement in reinvesting it because she has shown she is able to make wise decisions regarding finances. I think it's important in any partnership that each person be able to trust that the other will take care of what they are responsible for. I know that I find it hard to get anything done if I have to constantly worry that I may have to do the job of another person on top of my own. If Proverbs 31 woman says she will take care of something, it's taken care of. No worries. Her husband can rest easy and can fulfill his role as head of the household without having to micromanage his wife.

~Amy
Old 11-10-2009, 05:00 PM
RG8144

TexRN & Twinsmamma, my wife would get along so well with you two!

The image of Prov. 31 is one of a woman fulfilling her God given role, which is not a lesser role from that of the man, just a different and complimentary one that allows the man to focus on what he is called to by God as the leader in the home. I think of it as the relationship between the heart and the brain in our bodies. Both VITAL parts with completely different jobs to do that work TOGETHER to make the body work. If one works and the other doesnt then the body begins to die. If the brain tried to do the hearts job of pumping blood through the body the body would not function and eventually die.