Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Sports

View Poll Results: Pac/Cotto, how will the fight end?
Pac by KO 3 37.50%
Cotto by KO 0 0%
Pac by TKO 2 25.00%
Cotto by TKO 0 0%
Pac by decision 2 25.00%
Cotto by decision 0 0%
Draw 1 12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-10-2009, 11:33 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Yeah, I remember that fight, and he tooled Baldomir. People booed at Anderson Silva too, so what? They can boo all they want, they are not in the ring fighting. Booing don't change FACTS. Not every fight is going to be the fight of the century, and just because some idiots wanna act like that don't change reality. People left that fight because it was like watching a basketball game in the 4th quarter when one team is up by 30 points.

You can say you don't like his style all you want, but it don't take away any of his credentials as a boxer and there is no logical argument you can make to do so. Besides, you make it seem like every Floyd fight has been labeled boring, and even the most adamant Floyd haters with a boxing IQ over 10 know that is BS. You also act like all Floyd does is run away when you ignore the fact that he don't have to run. He stands right in front of guys and makes them miss 3, 4, sometimes 5 or more shots in a row.

Your opinion of Pac is so over-inflated with hype that you fail to recognize facts. Pac made DLH come down in weight to fight him, and Ricky Hatton was a joke. Beating two guys that Floyd beat 2 and 3 years before that in a "better" manner does not equate to being MORE impressive. Is Pac impressive? Yes, he is. Wait until after the fight with Cotto to say that he has been more impressive than PBF.

Remember that guy that a LOT of people think beat Manny, and he even took Manny to a draw? Juan Manuel Marquez? Yeah, Floyd just absolutely tooled him. So it goes both ways. Maybe if Pac comes out and knocks Cotto out early you will have a good argument, but until then you can't really say one fighter is more impressive than the other in the last few years. Of course, you are entitled to your opinion, however wrong it may be.

Also, I could care less about the meathead fans. Boxing, like all major sports, has enough of a fanbase of true fans of the sport and the science of it. If all the meatheads never bought another PPV, boxing would still be there, but that will never happen because those people are meatheads and they will just keep buying the fights then crying about it. Stupid.

Sure, the media will rip on Floyd, no matter what happens. There is a lot of politics behind the scenes that you may or may not be aware of. Floyd is a great target, and he has used that to his advantage. The more they hate, the bigger he gets. The press prints negative spin all the time, and people eat it up because thats how the world is. There is no money in stories about Floyd handing out food to the homeless in Las Vegas, though you will see them from time to time. They've sold you Manny Pacquiao as "the people's champion", but he is just a fighter like Floyd and behind the scenes he makes the same business moves for his best interest.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:51 PM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Manny and his lovers can call Floyd boring all they want, it don't change the fact that Mayweather is a much more talented boxer with a longer list of victories over big name fighters than Pac. It also won't change the fact that Floyd is a bigger draw than anybody else in Boxing right now. It's not about ego, it's about economics.

Also, it's important to note that Cotto does pose a significant threat to Manny and I don't think it's gonna be an easy fight for Pac. I think Pac will win, but if Cotto does pull it off then Pac can kiss any sort of bargaining leverage in a Mayweather fight goodbye.
remember that next time you think about bad mouthing an mma fighter for ducking.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:03 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

The Pacquaio Hatton fight was a joke? Really? You weren't saying that before the fight:
Quote:
PacMan has this locked down. I am gonna say KO in the 9th round, but I would not be surprised if Hatton looks better than he did against Floyd.

Heck he's got Floyd's dad training him now.
Quote:
Yeah, Floyd Sr is a great trainer, and I am sure Ricky will put up more of a fight than he did against Floyd Jr, but I do believe it's gonna be the same outcome. Manny just has too much speed for Ricky.

I'm not rooting for either fighter, but my money would definitely be on Manny.
So after the outcome of Manny thoroughly destroying Hatton, it's a joke? Note, I see you already said Pac has it locked, but you called it a joke after the fact, make up your mind

The same thing was said about Pac's fight with DLH. Everybody kept saying that Pac is a fool for taking the fight against an obviously superior opponent. DLH himself kept saying over and over that he was very comfortable at the "new weight" weeks before the fight ever started. Pac busted him up, made him quit, and then later everybody and DLH said he was "water drained", so which is it?

As for Marquez, Mayweather fought an inflated balloon Marquez who is also a notorious counter-puncher who had to go on the offensive. Foolish mistake by Marquez to call out Mayweather, but Mayweather also did that fight as a publicity stunt. Marquez never had a shot in the first place and I called that one before the fight started.

I know you don't care about the meatheads of boxing, but one way or another, that's still how it's going to go down. I haven't been sold on the "people's champion" bs. In case you haven't read it, I've been saying both fighters need to drop their egos to make the fight happen for the fans. Both of them are to blame of the fight doesn't happen, but that's not how it will be viewed by the majority.

Last edited by rockdawg21; 11-11-2009 at 12:20 AM.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:25 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
Bleh, I typed something up but forget it. There's no point in continuing the same crap over and over as neither of us see eye to eye on boxing

Enjoy the fight!
I think we agree on more than you realize. The only real issue is Mayweather. You don't like the guy, and that is fine, but you cannot deny facts.

It all started with your thread that asked if any body would care about Mayweather vs Marquez. Needless to say, you were proven very wrong about that one.

The biggest difference is I don't hate Pac like you hate Floyd. Heck, Floyd is not even my favorite boxer. I am just presenting the facts.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:35 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
I think we agree on more than you realize. The only real issue is Mayweather. You don't like the guy, and that is fine, but you cannot deny facts.

It all started with your thread that asked if any body would care about Mayweather vs Marquez. Needless to say, you were proven very wrong about that one.

The biggest difference is I don't hate Pac like you hate Floyd. Heck, Floyd is not even my favorite boxer. I am just presenting the facts.
Sorry JB, I changed my mind, you'll have to go back and re-read and re-reply but I'm sure you're already doing that, lol - I'll be done after I hear your reply. Just wanted to point out your contradiction of statements

And yes, I was wrong about that. Too bad PPV can't do demographics as it would be interesting to see who purchased the fight. Plus, I know they opened several theaters to view the fight for only $12 and those go into account, but I don't know if or how they calculate those either. No matter how you stack it, 1 million PPV buys, especially for a non-title fight is crazy.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:57 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
The Pacquaio Hatton fight was a joke? Really? You weren't saying that before the fight:

So after the outcome of Manny thoroughly destroying Hatton, it's a joke? Note, I see you already said Pac has it locked, but you called it a joke after the fact, make up your mind

The same thing was said about Pac's fight with DLH. Everybody kept saying that Pac is a fool for taking the fight against an obviously superior opponent. DLH himself kept saying over and over that he was very comfortable at the "new weight" weeks before the fight ever started. Pac busted him up, made him quit, and then later everybody and DLH said he was "water drained", so which is it?

As for Marquez, Mayweather fought an inflated balloon Marquez who is also a notorious counter-puncher who had to go on the offensive. Foolish mistake by Marquez to call out Mayweather, but Mayweather also did that fight as a publicity stunt. Marquez never had a shot in the first place and I called that one before the fight started.

I know you don't care about the meatheads of boxing, but one way or another, that's still how it's going to go down. I haven't been sold on the "people's champion" bs. In case you haven't read it, I've been saying both fighters need to drop their egos to make the fight happen for the fans. Both of them are to blame of the fight doesn't happen, but that's not how it will be viewed by the majority.
PFFFT....yeah, nice try. How would a person be able to call a fight a joke, in the context I was using, before it even happened? All you have proven is that you know how to use the search function on this forum.

Of course I thought Hatton would put up a better fight, everybody did. Nobody thought he would walk out there against Pac and lead with his chin. That was the joke about it. That's not taking anything away from Pac, but it is what it is. It's not like Pac is Mike Tyson after the Hatton KO. It happens.
I don't see how your quote changes anything I have said. In case you didn't notice, I was still right and said Manny would win.

What did you think Oscar was gonna come out and say? I feel like crap and I'm old? Of course he said he was cool with it, but anybody with a pair of eyes could see he looked small, and it definitely had an impact, but I don't think it was much, and I still think Pac would have won. That's not Pac's fault, but it is the truth. Oscar never REALLY wanted that fight, he wanted a rematch with Floyd. Regardless, I am not making an issue of the weights, I was merely pointing out that Pac has done the same things as any other fighter. You crapped all over Floyd for the Marquez weight but it's no different than Manny and Oscar. All fighters do that.

Yes, you did predict that Floyd would beat JMM, but tell me how is fighting the number 2 ranked P4P fighter in the world, who called YOU out, in your first fight back from retirement a publicity stunt? You also just got through defending Pac about the DLH weight and then turn around and use that very logic to criticize Floyd for fighting JMM at 146. It's ridiculous. Yeah, the weight differences do matter sometimes, but I don't think it made any difference in either of those fights. I think Manny would have beat Oscar regardless at that point because DLH is pretty washed up. I also think Floyd would have tooled JMM at any weight just based on pure skill.

I don't think we can really say whats gonna happen until after this fight with Cotto. I agree with you that there will be people in the media who play Floyd as the bad guy, but that is nothing new. Like I said, the more haters hate, the bigger Floyd gets. I think if Manny beats Cotto, we will see the fight with Floyd sometime in 2010, but a lot of it rides on this next fight.

Last edited by J.B.; 11-11-2009 at 01:17 AM. Reason: had to explain a point more clearly
Old 11-11-2009, 01:04 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger View Post
remember that next time you think about bad mouthing an mma fighter for ducking.
What?

What MMA fighter did I bad mouth for ducking?

Seriously, there are 5 other areas on this forum devoted to MMA. Let's leave the MMA talk there since this is not a debate about the two sports.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:11 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Oh yeah, check out Wapakman...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osc0qIQbiB0

Guess Manny is a movie star now...
Old 11-12-2009, 12:49 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Thought some people might be interested in what EA Sports has to say about the fight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-3WMO5fobU
Old 11-12-2009, 12:57 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Thought some people might be interested in what EA Sports has to say about the fight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-3WMO5fobU
Too bad they won't be playing FNR4 this Saturday...