Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Sports

View Poll Results: Pac/Cotto, how will the fight end?
Pac by KO 3 37.50%
Cotto by KO 0 0%
Pac by TKO 2 25.00%
Cotto by TKO 0 0%
Pac by decision 2 25.00%
Cotto by decision 0 0%
Draw 1 12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-09-2009, 10:06 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Default Pacquiao/Cotto - How will it end?

Time to vote on the Pac/Cotto fight. How will it end?

I'm picking Pac by TKO. If I had to make a guess, I'll say round 9.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:54 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

I'm thinking Pac wins by decision.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:23 PM
rearnakedchoke

i think all signs for this point to a dec win for pac, but i am taking him by KO .... he knows a very decisive win will encourage a fight between him and PBF and pac knows he needs the fight with PBF more than PBF needs it with him
Old 11-10-2009, 04:38 PM
Miss Foxy

Hopefully Cotto, however I don't want to do a sig bet and have ugly Pacman there.. lol.. All I want is someone to kick his ***....
Old 11-10-2009, 05:42 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
Hopefully Cotto, however I don't want to do a sig bet and have ugly Pacman there.. lol.. All I want is someone to kick his ***....
If Manny gets his wish, PBF will be there to do that ...
Old 11-10-2009, 07:56 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
If Manny gets his wish, PBF will be there to do that ...
Manny hasn't asked to fight Mayweather. He's already stated:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...si_mostpopular
Quote:
"I don't think it's going to happen," Pacquiao said. "I'm sure he doesn't want to fight."

"Boxing for him is like a business," Pacquiao said. "He doesn't care about the people around him watching. He doesn't care if the fight is boring, as long as the fight is finished and he gets (plenty of) money. ... I want people to be happy. You have a big responsibility as a boxer."
I guess in a way, it's like calling him out indirectly though.

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/sports/11...%99-mayweather
Quote:
“You know obviously I’ve had minor discussions,” Canadian Mike Koncz, Pacquiao’s adviser, revealed to abs-cbnNEWS.com. “Manny's focused on this fight. We have a number of options for the next fight.”

Koncz said that their options include Shane Mosley and Julio Cesar Chavez, Jr. “It’s not just Mayweather,” he reminded.

“Do we wanna do Mayweather? Of course we wanna do Mayweather,” stated Koncz. “But we won’t be railroaded and pushed around, bullied around.”

“I think the economics of the fight has to be right for us to agree,” he continued. “Do we need Mayweather? We don’t need Mayweather. If Manny gets past Cotto in great fashion, I don’t believe it makes a difference who he fights next.”

Great for fans

The Canadian adviser said if Manny wins on November 14, his popularity would surge just like what happened when he overpowered Oscar de la Hoya in 2008 and Ricky Hatton in May.

“We'd love to make the Mayweather fight. I think it will be a great fight for the fans. I think the fans want to see it. But again we're not desperate for it,” he declared.

“We’ve had open line communications with their people over the last year so they know what terms we're looking for… We’re not gonna chase Mayweather, absolutely not.”

Mayweather, who came out of retirement in May, won over Juan Manuel Marquez, in September by unanimous decision.

“They know where we’re at and I know where they’re at so hopefully we’d come to a place where we can all agree,” said Koncz.
I agree, it's likely not to happen. Mayweather will price himself out of the fight. It's both fighters egos, but this has already started. If both fighters really think they're the best and won't drop their damn egos to make it happen, it should go 40/40 with 20 bonus to the winner.

Last edited by rockdawg21; 11-10-2009 at 08:25 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:48 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Manny and his lovers can call Floyd boring all they want, it don't change the fact that Mayweather is a much more talented boxer with a longer list of victories over big name fighters than Pac. It also won't change the fact that Floyd is a bigger draw than anybody else in Boxing right now. It's not about ego, it's about economics.

Also, it's important to note that Cotto does pose a significant threat to Manny and I don't think it's gonna be an easy fight for Pac. I think Pac will win, but if Cotto does pull it off then Pac can kiss any sort of bargaining leverage in a Mayweather fight goodbye.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:30 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

I think he's boring because he's not very aggressive, and many fans boo during his fights so there's a lot of others who feel the same, but he's no doubt the most talented boxer on the planet, I won't deny that.

Boxing economics kind of sucks, which is one of the reasons why boxing kind of sucks...instead of giving the fans what they want, the business is often centered towards making money. Not that I'm against making money, but it's always Floyd's interests' first rather than his or boxing fans interests' first. Even Mayweather himself told Margarito something like, "We can do it, but it has to make good business sense."

No doubt, tough fight for both fighters. If Cotto wins, I'm sure it would put an end to the idea as a whole and rightfully so as it would be much less climatical. However, since it's about "economics", if Pac/Cotto draws more than 1 million buys, then Mayweather can kiss his 60% demands goodbye as well, but he won't stop trying as he is definitely persistent with those demands

BTW, what is a "Level 9 Internet Boss?"

Last edited by rockdawg21; 11-10-2009 at 09:43 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:28 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
I think he's boring because he's not very aggressive, and many fans boo during his fights so there's a lot of others who feel the same, but he's no doubt the most talented boxer on the planet, I won't deny that.

Boxing economics kind of sucks, which is one of the reasons why boxing kind of sucks...instead of giving the fans what they want, the business is often centered towards making money. Not that I'm against making money, but it's always Floyd's interests' first rather than his or boxing fans interests' first. Even Mayweather himself told Margarito something like, "We can do it, but it has to make good business sense."

No doubt, tough fight for both fighters. If Cotto wins, I'm sure it would put an end to the idea as a whole and rightfully so as it would be much less climatical. However, since it's about "economics", if Pac/Cotto draws more than 1 million buys, then Mayweather can kiss his 60% demands goodbye as well, but he won't stop trying as he is definitely persistent with those demands

BTW, what is a "Level 9 Internet Boss?"

Please provide me with video of all this booing during Mayweather fights...

Also, please explain to me how booing has anything to do with the mechanics of the sport? If you don't like the rules, don't play the game. It's pretty simple. Mayweather is a master of the game and he is supposed to feel bad about that? In his 40 victories he has a 62% KO rating, but somehow he is not aggressive enough? Sure, Pac has a 68% KO rating, but he also has 14 more fights, has lost 3 times (2 by KO), and has 2 draws on his record.

Boxing economics is just business like any other business. If you think Boxing sucks, don't watch it, can't help you there. Boxers don't have retirement plans, or 401k's, or any of that stuff. They have to be smart and make smart decisions while they are in the prime of their careers in order to assure themselves security in the future. You never know when a fight could be your last one, it is a dangerous sport.

As for Pac/Cotto getting over a million buys...I have my doubts about the reality of that. However, even if it does happen that would not definitely swing the leverage towards Pac. Mayweather still has much more history as a powerful draw than Pac does, and he has still beaten more big names than Pac, even if Pac dominates Cotto.

Oh, a level 9 internet boss is me. Defeat me to win the internet.
It has yet to be done.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:50 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

You don't remember his fight with Carlos Baldomir? Here's the interview from that fight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYA49V_P4qs I also find this video funny as Mayweather backs away in his fights, and here he is booing at Morales

I'm not talking about mechanics of the sport. I'm talking about entertainment and booing is a symbol that it is not entertaining. Even Mayweather himself calls himself an "entertainer", but people booed and even left during his fight with Baldomir.

Yeah, I understand that, just saying in Floyd's world, he hasn't any desire to assume any risk and give the fans the fights they want, at least in recent years.

I understand what you're saying JB, but people who are going to buy the fight could care less about Mayweather's boxing history victories - what people are noticing is what's been done in the past few years and what Pac has accomplished these past years is way more impressive than what Mayweather has accomplished these past years. People want the fight, they are demanding the fight, and Mayweather is going to price himself out of it instead of giving us what we want. Like it or not, the viewing public and the press is going to say it is Mayweather who is choosing not to make the fight happen. Maybe you won't see it that way, but that's how it will be to the viewing public nor the press. Of course, Pac has to beat Cotto first, which is no picnic!

LOL, I see. That's fine, you can keep the internet, I'll just borrow it since you're allowing me to do so. Thanks!

Anyways, back to the point at hand, Pac by TKO round 9. I'm so pumped for this fight!

Last edited by rockdawg21; 11-10-2009 at 10:56 PM. Reason: I was rude so I made some changes, my bad JB :(