Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 11-05-2009, 04:05 AM
Maglorius

Default My First Cursillo

Just wanted to share with you guys about my first experience at a Cursillo weekend. Cursillo in Spanish: Cursillos de Cristiandad, short course of Christianity and is predominantly a movement out of the Anglican Church. There is both a mens weekend and a women's weekend. Now I am not Anglican myself but my wife and her family were raised Anglican. My father in-law left the Anglican church of Canada a few years ago after they wavered on the same sex marriage and the acceptance on gay Priests. Although they now attend an evangelical church he is still involved in the Cursillo movement as it is still very solid biblically. Now I have had some experience at the Anglican church when I was first dating my wife but this past weekend was really my first true involvement in doing things the Anglican way and I must say it was an amazing experience. It was at a place called Entheos in the mountains outside of Calgary, Alberta, Canada. As an evangelical I have never been involved in something that was so powerful and Holy Spirit driven. There were about 53 Godly men with 24hr prayer going on each day for 3 1/2 days plus churches all over North America praying for us that weekend. The men there were from ages 21 to 83. Some retired, some priests in the Anglican church, and some in other churches, but most were lay people. To have that many men together encouraging one another, praying for one another and just loving each other as Christian brothers was just awesome. There is so much to tell about the weekend, but there are just so many amazing surprises to the weekend that just encourage an individual, that I wouldn't want to ruin it for anyone.

One of the things that I took away from the weekend is the respect and reverence the Anglicans have for communion. The way they set up communion and use it to help get your heart pointed toward God is awesome. I like it because it is active, that you have to get up out of your seat look the Minster/pastor in the eye when he gives you the bread and the cup and humble yourself before God.(they also use real wine, but I don't want to get that one started again.) There is something more to it than just sitting in your seat and passing around tiny small cups full of grape juice and small wafer crackers. I don't mean to belittle that way of doing it because that is how my church handles it and that is what I am used to. I also got accustomed to reciting the prayers from the book of common prayer and also really enjoyed that as I believe it helped reinstate the reasons we were there and helped other prayers to flow out of them. It is sad that the Anglican Church of Canada is no longer being biblical and that there are men and women there being lead astray. With that said I would still encourage anyone here to attend a Cursillo weekend as I have stated before it is still Christ centred and true to God's word. Ultreya!