Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 11-08-2009, 12:56 PM
Adia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
I flew over Canada on all my journies to the US, because of the Axis of the Earth, the flights dont go right across the atlantic on the outward trip, they go north almost as far as Greenland, and then south over Canada to the Northern States

There is very little that interests me in Canada really, I dont know many people there, I dont know much about the Country at all...plus the culture is the same as ours. Canadians (unless French) actually think like Britons, they are like English people with American Accents

...hope you dont find that offensive
lol not offended, just confused. Canadians are definitely not like Brits and we definitely don't have American accents. You definitely need to stop by, we are a whole different kind of people
Old 11-08-2009, 01:37 PM
bradwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adia View Post
lol not offended, just confused. Canadians are definitely not like Brits and we definitely don't have American accents. You definitely need to stop by, we are a whole different kind of people
well just to be fair we do have the same accents as our neighbors in some of the northern states...unless of course you reside in Quebec or the Maritimes that is...and Adia,go easy on Dave...he really doesn't know very much at all about Canada and thats okay...you know as well as i do that there is nothing much to see or do here.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:20 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
All the Canadians I have ever met sound like Americans...okay so there are many different American Accents, but Canadians definatley sound American.

You post a load of soundclips mixed between American and Canadian, and I wouldnt be able to tell you which were which. I thought Jack, the cleaner was American for years...I only realized when I nearly offended him

It was the American thanksgiving and I asked him how he was celebrating it...and he replied "we have our Thanksgiving at a different time in Canada" and I was like "Oh yes...of course" ooops, he's Canadian and not American...good job he thought I assumed the Canadian and American Thanksgivings were at the same time...and hadnt misplaced him as a US Citizen...because...he would have been a little offended...He never knew that I had assumed he was an American for a very long time...eventually he had a heart attack and work, and was forced to quit, and then he went back to Canada.

But not before I learned he'd been active in the Canadian Military....Canadians seem to get quite distressed if they are considered as Americans (obviously where the definition of American applies to a US Citizen, not to a person living in North America)

The thing is...he was the most uncanadian canadian in character that I'd ever met. I mean, he sounded like an American, he acted like an American, okay so he didnt really think like an American...but...Well...how embarissing
Old 11-08-2009, 08:15 PM
Adia

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradwright View Post
well just to be fair we do have the same accents as our neighbors in some of the northern states...unless of course you reside in Quebec or the Maritimes that is...and Adia,go easy on Dave...he really doesn't know very much at all about Canada and thats okay...you know as well as i do that there is nothing much to see or do here.
I dunno, I am from the Maritimes, and part Francophone, but I perceive a very distinct accent from the prairies, Ontarians and then of course the Newfies...I would pick an American from a Canadian any day unless they came from Ontario, then...well it would be a challenge.

And I'm not too rough on Dave..he likes it too much ;)
Old 11-08-2009, 08:19 PM
bradwright

Quote:
I dunno, I am from the Maritimes, and part Francophone, but I perceive a very distinct accent from the prairies, Ontarians and then of course the Newfies...I would pick an American from a Canadian any day unless they came from Ontario, then...well it would be a challenge.

you think we have an accent in the prairies ?
Old 11-08-2009, 08:25 PM
Adia

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradwright View Post
you think we have an accent in the prairies ?
indeed. My cousin moved from NB to Manitoba and now I don't recognize him on the phone. There's a prairie accent to be sure.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:56 PM
mscomc

hahaha, canadian accents are funny. I persoanlly am from Toronto (i know everyone hates toronto) and everytime i went to the states, no can ever tell i am canadian. I think one group of canadians that can stick our very easy is the Newfoundlanders. Now i have to say, I know many Newfies, but i never thought they spoke any different than me. But than, i took a math class in university, and the proff did grow up in Newfoundland. I swear the conversation went like this....

me: professor, i am having a hard time integrating this equation

professor: fhHFIUhf hagoahgoh jagpjaghhg hhhhh hwghpghPGHPGHPw.....got it?

me: yessssssssssssss

-----speaking of the monarch. Canada is moving away from them. consult any nationwide poll. The only people that still want anything to do with the monarch are reallllly old canadians who are in their 60's (and older). Most canadians dont care, and dont want them involved in our politics (me to, no offence dave )

It is just sooooooo unessescary. To make a new federal law, First we have to pass a bill which is long enough already, than we have to go to the governor general (or the lieutenant governor in the case of provincial law) and than they have to o.k it....and even then they can reject it. The last time a viceroy did that was in 1961.....and it has NEVER again happend since than.

it wouldnt be so bad. I mean, its not like if Britain ever needed help, we wouldnt help them.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:01 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:

I once knew a Canadian woman who claimed to have a handbasket...and a dungeon

Old 11-08-2009, 11:15 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:

I once knew a Canadian woman who claimed to have a handbasket...and a dungeon

Old 11-08-2009, 11:20 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscomc View Post
and than they have to o.k it....and even then they can reject it. The last time a viceroy did that was in 1961.....and it has NEVER again happend since than.

Does the Queen really have to physically sign off on any Canadian piece of Legislature

Well...I worry about Canada and Australia going for the exit when Elizabeth dies....most of those who like the Monarchy...arent really a fan of the Monarchy...they are a fan of a particular Monarch