Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 02-09-2009, 09:03 PM
Jason 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blmfighter
Just because someone hits hard does not prove they are god Boxers. If that was the case then Tank would be a world class boxer. In the sherk fight he had a nice reach advantage and was fighting a wrestler. Donít get me wrong I think he does have some skills however I would not list BJ in the top list as MMA boxing skills go.

When you fight a guy with a smaller reach and not very good at boxing you should do well against him.

humm realy ? I thought sherk was realy good at boxing, head movement, speed, power and throws good combinations . at least I thought he looked crisp in the fight with tyson griffin
Old 02-09-2009, 09:06 PM
Josh

Quote:
Just because someone hits hard does not prove they are god Boxers. If that was the case then Tank would be a world class boxer. In the sherk fight he had a nice reach advantage and was fighting a wrestler. Donít get me wrong I think he does have some skills however I would not list BJ in the top list as MMA boxing skills go.

When you fight a guy with a smaller reach and not very good at boxing you should do well against him.
Freddie Roach has said that BJ has the best boxing in MMA if his opinion means anything to you.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:13 PM
Blmfighter

Freddie Roach also said that AA was going to KO Fedor. Freddie is very good at training boxers. Just becuase someone can throw nice jab does not prove they are good boxers. Just because he thinks he has the best boxing in MMA does not show that he is good at boxing. I have the best boxing in my house does not prove I'm good at it?
Old 02-09-2009, 09:18 PM
Jason 16

how much does freddie know about any other style of strikeing but boxing like lyoto machida with out kicks is would not be considered a good boxer even mir said that but look he doesnt get hit and KOs the other guy
Old 02-09-2009, 09:33 PM
Josh

Quote:
Freddie Roach also said that AA was going to KO Fedor. Freddie is very good at training boxers. Just becuase someone can throw nice jab does not prove they are good boxers. Just because he thinks he has the best boxing in MMA does not show that he is good at boxing. I have the best boxing in my house does not prove I'm good at it?
Wow. Are we not talking about MMA here? What other context do you think we are discussing? This is not a thread about BJ boxing Mayweather. BJ is usually considered to have the best boxing in the UFC LW division. You obviously disagree but that is the general opinion. Of course Freddie said that about AA. He was training him.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:47 AM
Champ2be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco
GSP's athletics versus BJ's flexibility.

GSP's athletics win. At 170 BJ is overrated at 155 BJ is unbeatable.

GSP's mma striking is way more advanced then BJ's he puts it together better. In a straight boxing match BJ walks away the winner but when you take kicks into consideration or make it a kickboxing match GSP all the way.

BJ better boxer GSP better fighter.
Not taking anything away from Matt, but BJ did beat Hughes at 170 so I wouldnt say he is overrated he just got out classed at UFC94.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:33 AM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
BJ lands something like 70% of his jabs.
Too bad he caught about 80%....
Old 02-10-2009, 02:35 AM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger
I don't think he is better than BJ Penn at anything.
Do winning, preperation, training or executing a game plan count?????
Old 02-10-2009, 02:46 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason 16
I just wonder if that fight would have been diffrent if bj had the same reach as sherk because more than any thing that screwed him the most.
I thought Sherk was just going to stand up with BJ for maybe 2-3 rounds just to wear him down a bit, then just start going for takedowns to score the GNP or point-victory. I was shocked when he didn't even try. No doubt the reach was difficult for Sherk to deal with, but he didn't even include wearing BJ out as part of the game plan, that was just crazy.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:32 AM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco
GSP's athletics versus BJ's flexibility.

GSP's athletics win. At 170 BJ is overrated at 155 BJ is unbeatable.

GSP's mma striking is way more advanced then BJ's he puts it together better. In a straight boxing match BJ walks away the winner but when you take kicks into consideration or make it a kickboxing match GSP all the way.

BJ better boxer GSP better fighter.
What does athletics mean? lol
He is bigger and stronger, we have established that.

I don't feel GSP has better striking at all, he is just bigger and stronger.