Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 02-09-2009, 09:53 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger
GSP fought twice in 2008 and one was a not top ten (Serra)
Anderson Silva fought 3 times in 2008 but one was James Irvin.

So, no those guys aren't fighting 3 top level guys a year.

In fact, lets go down the list of other champions.
in 2008 BJ fought twice. (Sherk and Stevenson)
In 2008 Rampage fought twice, losing his title to Forrest then beating Wandy
Forrest fought twice, winning his title then losing it.
Lesnar fought Mir, Couture and HH
While nog only fought Big Tim and Frank Mir

So, more often than not the UFC's Champions aren't fighting 3 top level guys a year.
But of course Dana has to make it sound worse for Fedor
yeah, but fedor fought sylvia last year, then the year before he fought lindland and hong man ... i like fedor and think he is the best but he needs to come to the UFC ... but that is just selfish of me and want to see fedor
Old 02-09-2009, 09:53 PM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2130
he wont come to the UFC, why would he?

he can stay where he is, fight 1 time a year, fighting the UFCs X-champs, and people will scream his name as the best, he can pick the x-champs 1 by 1and train a whole year just to beat each one and make it sound like these x-champs where at the best theyve ever been, better than when they had the belt

or

go to the ufc, lose 2 outa 3 fights, against heavy weights people dont think should be in the same category as fedor, and ruin his near spotless record, and the critics will scream "see he couldnt cut it in the UFC"

or

he will plow through the UFC, and retire in no different position than hes in now, except 1 or 2 critics will change to fans

i myself am no fedor fan, i would love to see him come to the UFC and in a upset of the century some heavyweight like GG, Lesnar, or even Carwin knock him out in the first round, but he has nothing to gain, and alot to lose

I think AA was just as good if not better then when he was UFC Champ,
and I know Big Nog was better when Fedor beat him.
Tim Sylvia had also only lost to Nog and Couture when he lost to Fedor,
not like he was getting beat by chumps.

I just don't see how you can think GG or Carwin would pose a threat, at all.
GG? Really?
GG beating Cro Cop was a fluke, nothing more,
and he has been living off that hype ever since.
And that is the only top 10 victory he has, and Carwin is so untested it isn't funny.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:02 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

It'd be interesting to see what Brock could do. Nobody can stop Brock's takedowns so if he wanted Fedor on his back, he'd get it done (they showed a stat prior to the Couture fight - out of every 6 attempts, he's only stopped 1 time - that's awesome!). How is Fedor's guard? I haven't seen him on his back ever, but I've only seen him fight a few times and never was he in any danger. I just think that Brock could pose some problems to Fedor with his size and wrestling ability.

I'd still give the win to Fedor, I see maybe a KO with his striking or maybe a submission using his sambo skills, but I don't think he'd roll through Brock by any means.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:11 PM
jason2130

Quote:
I just don't see how you can think GG or Carwin would pose a threat, at all.
GG? Really?
GG beating Cro Cop was a fluke, nothing more,
and he has been living off that hype ever since.
And that is the only top 10 victory he has, and Carwin is so untested it isn't funny.
im not saying that any of them would win, on paper fedor looks better than most fighters out there (alot argue better than all fighters), but MMA is full of upsets, thats what makes it fun to watch, and regardless if he beats Carwin 49 outa 50 fights, if that one lose happens the night of the UFC PPV then every every fedor critic out there will scream "see! we told you so"

im just saying he has nothing to gain at the UFC
Old 02-09-2009, 11:32 PM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
It'd be interesting to see what Brock could do. Nobody can stop Brock's takedowns so if he wanted Fedor on his back, he'd get it done (they showed a stat prior to the Couture fight - out of every 6 attempts, he's only stopped 1 time - that's awesome!). How is Fedor's guard? I haven't seen him on his back ever, but I've only seen him fight a few times and never was he in any danger. I just think that Brock could pose some problems to Fedor with his size and wrestling ability.

I'd still give the win to Fedor, I see maybe a KO with his striking or maybe a submission using his sambo skills, but I don't think he'd roll through Brock by any means.

Randleman dumped Fedor and had him on his back for a little bit,
Brock is a lot bigger than Randleman, I think Brock is the only interesting fight for Fedor in the UFC, and that is based on size alone. But even with his size I don't see him beating Fedor. Armbar from the bottom with ease.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:35 PM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2130
im not saying that any of them would win, on paper fedor looks better than most fighters out there (alot argue better than all fighters), but MMA is full of upsets, thats what makes it fun to watch, and regardless if he beats Carwin 49 outa 50 fights, if that one lose happens the night of the UFC PPV then every every fedor critic out there will scream "see! we told you so"

im just saying he has nothing to gain at the UFC

On paper?
I don't really think so, on paper he is too short and too small to be a HW champion.

In real life he looks better than any HW out there, he just doesn't make mistakes or get in trouble ever.

I just think Carwin is wayyy too inexperienced, he has only fought a couple guys with more than 10 wins and he himself only has 10 wins over wayyyy sub par opponents. Too often in MMA have I seen people getting exited about "the next big thing" after a good record and a couple quick KO's just to see that person get man handled. So for now, I don't see Carwin even posing a threat until he has been tested.

Not to mention,
if You're the world champion you don't need you, and shouldn't have to fight just anybody who calls you out.
You earn your shot at a title you should wayyy have to earn your shot at Fedor.
He would gain nothing from beating GG and Carwin, it wouldn't prove anything.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:04 AM
lc87

Quote:
He would gain nothing from beating GG and Carwin, it wouldn't prove anything.

He would prove how bad the ufc hw division has been lately with some of the guys they consider contenders.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:33 AM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lc87
He would prove how bad the ufc hw division has been lately with some of the guys they consider contenders.

Right...
but what would that do for Fedor?
Old 02-10-2009, 04:54 AM
que

fedor will retire long before UFC ever gets around to signing him

you can tell fedor is losing his passion and interest with each fight. i say he retires in 1-2 years and goes out on top
Old 02-10-2009, 05:01 AM
lc87

Quote:
Right...
but what would that do for Fedor?

Exactly my point. Besides the payday not much at all really except maybe ufc hall of fame and a chance at going undefeated in the ufc. Now that would prob be the best way to go out on top.

But to me it seems that fedor isn't in it for fame and fourtune but the chance to compete like a certain other fellow we all know about.