Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 10-27-2009, 12:55 PM
County Mike

Quote:
Lyoto made Shogun come after him, he determined where the fight took place which in my opinion constitutes as effective Octagon control.
So backing up and making your opponent come after you is octagon control? What a load of BS.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:53 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Sore losers. The whole bunch of ya.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:52 PM
KevinD

As much as I dislike Cecil Peoples.......here it comes: I agree with the judges decision to a point.

Rounds 1 and 2 were close and could have been scored either way. So the judges leaning Machida's way is not a big stretch. Round 3 I thought machida won.

Now here is the problem. Rua clearly won rounds 4 and 5 and by wider margins than Machida winning rounds 1, 2, and 3. Were they 10-8 rounds? no I don't think so, but clearly Rua was controlling the fight in the last two rounds.

I think if people want to be upset and critical, they need to look at the scoring system in place. Is it perfect? No. Could it be much better? Yes. But until somebody comes along and refines the system a bit, I think we will continue to have some head scratching decisions. I think the scoring system looked bad in this fight, more than the judges did.

For the record, I really dislike some of the decisions Peoples has rendered in the past.

If Rua had won this fight, I would not have complained at all.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:13 PM
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinD View Post
As much as I dislike Cecil Peoples.......here it comes: I agree with the judges decision to a point.

Rounds 1 and 2 were close and could have been scored either way. So the judges leaning Machida's way is not a big stretch. Round 3 I thought machida won.

Now here is the problem. Rua clearly won rounds 4 and 5 and by wider margins than Machida winning rounds 1, 2, and 3. Were they 10-8 rounds? no I don't think so, but clearly Rua was controlling the fight in the last two rounds.

I think if people want to be upset and critical, they need to look at the scoring system in place. Is it perfect? No. Could it be much better? Yes. But until somebody comes along and refines the system a bit, I think we will continue to have some head scratching decisions. I think the scoring system looked bad in this fight, more than the judges did.

For the record, I really dislike some of the decisions Peoples has rendered in the past.

the UFC, and all MMA, needs to go to a system that scores the fight as a whole and not round by round.

Edit: Also, my problem is not that he gave the fight to Machida, my problem is why he did so. Saying that leg kicks cant finish a fight is just stupid. Saying he had octagon control just because he is a counter fighter is also stupid. Under Peoples rules, a counter fighter can never lose the octagon control battle because their opponent is always coming after them. My third problem is with his "effective grappling" comment. In my opinion you should get no points for defending a takedown (Just like I dont think you should get points for defending a submission or blocking a punch). Your reward for defending a takedown is that you get to keep the fight standing, the reward for defending a submission is you dont lose the fight and your reward for blocking a punch is that you didnt get punched in the face. The person who is going for the takedown is being the aggressor and he should be given the benefit of the doubt. Now if you defend a takedown and then counter with a punch, you should score points for that IMO, just like if you defend a submission and end up in a dominate position because of it.

Last edited by Max; 10-27-2009 at 03:23 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:32 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

They should hire you, Max.

Are you sure you aren't Big John?
Old 10-27-2009, 05:13 PM
KevinD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
the UFC, and all MMA, needs to go to a system that scores the fight as a whole and not round by round.

Edit: Also, my problem is not that he gave the fight to Machida, my problem is why he did so. Saying that leg kicks cant finish a fight is just stupid. Saying he had octagon control just because he is a counter fighter is also stupid. Under Peoples rules, a counter fighter can never lose the octagon control battle because their opponent is always coming after them. My third problem is with his "effective grappling" comment. In my opinion you should get no points for defending a takedown (Just like I dont think you should get points for defending a submission or blocking a punch). Your reward for defending a takedown is that you get to keep the fight standing, the reward for defending a submission is you dont lose the fight and your reward for blocking a punch is that you didnt get punched in the face. The person who is going for the takedown is being the aggressor and he should be given the benefit of the doubt. Now if you defend a takedown and then counter with a punch, you should score points for that IMO, just like if you defend a submission and end up in a dominate position because of it.
I don't disagree with your comments at all. you hit the nail on the head.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:34 PM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinD View Post

How on earth can anybody say 1 and 2 were close?
In round one Rua landed 17 to Machida's 10.
That is almost double, and clearly came to Machida.

In round 2, Rua landed 23 to Machida's 11.
MORE THAN DOUBLE.
Those are not close striking rounds.
Rua was also clinching, controlling the center of the octagon and being more aggressive.
He not only threw a higher volume, but landed a higher volume,
and had a higher accuracy.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:35 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
So backing up and making your opponent come after you is octagon control? What a load of BS.
It works for Floyd Mayweather in boxing. He runs 24/7 and wins decisions even though he's aggressive 1% of the time in his fights.

MMA seems to be regressing the same as boxing with these ****ty stoppages and decisions. If it weren't for Rua coming forward, there wouldn't have been a fight. It seems like the "aggression" portion of MMA scoring is being forgotten by these boxing judges. Counter punching is not aggression!
Old 10-27-2009, 11:03 PM
KevinD

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger View Post
How on earth can anybody say 1 and 2 were close?
In round one Rua landed 17 to Machida's 10.
That is almost double, and clearly came to Machida.

In round 2, Rua landed 23 to Machida's 11.
MORE THAN DOUBLE.
Those are not close striking rounds.
Rua was also clinching, controlling the center of the octagon and being more aggressive.
He not only threw a higher volume, but landed a higher volume,
and had a higher accuracy.
its not the amount of strikes that wins the round....this is not amateur boxing.
Machida was landing knees in the clinch and landing straight lefts on the counter.
I am not here to argue, but your reasoning is a little simplistic.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:04 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
It works for Floyd Mayweather in boxing. He runs 24/7 and wins decisions even though he's aggressive 1% of the time in his fights.

MMA seems to be regressing the same as boxing with these ****ty stoppages and decisions. If it weren't for Rua coming forward, there wouldn't have been a fight. It seems like the "aggression" portion of MMA scoring is being forgotten by these boxing judges. Counter punching is not aggression!
The more you talk about Floyd, the clearer it becomes that you know very little about what him. I'm not even going to bother dropping more facts and statistics, because you just ignore them and try to divert to some other reason not to like Floyd.

Do your own homework and actually go back and watch Mayweather's fights rather than just taking the extreme haters opinion in a knee-jerk reaction to somebody you don't like as a person. Mayweather is an almost perfect blend of offensive and defensive fighter with his cat like reflexes and Marine sniper grade accuracy, but you are just a hater, and the inner hater in you will never let the rational person in you admit that.

Tags
machida