Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 10-27-2009, 12:03 AM
Hughes fanboy

Default has Machida lost his mystique now?

It seems Lyoto Machida was on a roll with his decisive victories over Rashad and Sakara (not sure if that's his name). He really seemed unstoppable and the way the UFC promoted him made him seem that way.

Now he looks different. Shogun was the agressor and seemed to never really have been put in any dangerous situations by Machida. I like Machida, but I wonder if he was overly confident thanks to all that hype.

Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/
Old 10-27-2009, 12:14 AM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizion View Post
It seems Lyoto Machida was on a roll with his decisive victories over Rashad and Sakara (not sure if that's his name). He really seemed unstoppable and the way the UFC promoted him made him seem that way.

Now he looks different. Shogun was the agressor and seemed to never really have been put in any dangerous situations by Machida. I like Machida, but I wonder if he was overly confident thanks to all that hype.
I think he over trained but that's just my guess. He definitely looked "off" to me. I'm not taking anything away from Shogun, he look good, but Lyoto didn't seem himself.

Maybe it's because of how effective Shogun was? Who knows?
Old 10-27-2009, 12:32 AM
Max

his mystique is not gone. Rua is one of the best LHW's in the world (as is Machida) and on a good day, which he had last Sat, he beats 99.9% of the LHW's in the world. Machida is still just as dangerous as ever.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:33 AM
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
I think he over trained but that's just my guess. He definitely looked "off" to me. I'm not taking anything away from Shogun, he look good, but Lyoto didn't seem himself.

Maybe it's because of how effective Shogun was? Who knows?
I dont think Machida was ready for the way Rua fought. He expected Rua to charge in and attack and he had not traied for a Rua that was going to sit back and pick his shots.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:06 AM

he never had any mystique to me. He's a counter fighter. When Shogun wasn't pressing, there wasn't anything to counter. Boring ass fight. The rematch will be the same. I actually struggled with buying the PPV up to the last minute of the prelims on Spike. Ultimately I didn't buy it, and I'm glad I didnt now.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:07 AM
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by F34R View Post
he never had any mystique to me. He's a counter fighter. When Shogun wasn't pressing, there wasn't anything to counter. Boring ass fight. The rematch will be the same.
I did not think the fight was boring at all, I thought it was a great fight.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:24 AM
que

lyoto is still one of the best fighters in the LHW division and even in the world. shogun just happens to be one of the best too. people have forgotten over the past few years how good shogun is. he put up a hell of a fight.

i think the outcome of the fight was less about how "off" machida was, and more about how "on" shogun was

for the first time, lyoto looked to be the one confused in the octagon. usually it's the other way around. shogun came from all angles and was even more unpredictable than lyoto IMO. not to mention he landed more strikes and he turned lyoto pink with those vicious leg kicks. the only other fighter who has even gotten that close to competing with lyoto was BJ penn back when BJ was fat like the marshmallow man from ghostbusters at 225 (which is a testament to how good BJ is)

Last edited by que; 10-27-2009 at 02:33 AM.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:04 AM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Lyoto hasn't lost anything.. see below for for a reason why..

I would go so far as to say Lyoto "fought to not lose".. Rua came out with the game plan that shut Lyoto down..

Quote:
Originally Posted by que View Post
lyoto is still one of the best fighters in the LHW division and even in the world. shogun just happens to be one of the best too. people have forgotten over the past few years how good shogun is. he put up a hell of a fight.

i think the outcome of the fight was less about how "off" machida was, and more about how "on" shogun was
Old 10-27-2009, 03:28 AM
Stump Rules!

Never knew he had any to begin with

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 10-27-2009, 11:56 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Machida had a mystique? So what is it now, hype?