Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-27-2009, 12:03 AM
Vizion's Avatar
Vizion Vizion is offline
Hughes fanboy
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,217
Default has Machida lost his mystique now?

It seems Lyoto Machida was on a roll with his decisive victories over Rashad and Sakara (not sure if that's his name). He really seemed unstoppable and the way the UFC promoted him made him seem that way.

Now he looks different. Shogun was the agressor and seemed to never really have been put in any dangerous situations by Machida. I like Machida, but I wonder if he was overly confident thanks to all that hype.
__________________


Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-27-2009, 12:14 AM
Chuck
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizion View Post
It seems Lyoto Machida was on a roll with his decisive victories over Rashad and Sakara (not sure if that's his name). He really seemed unstoppable and the way the UFC promoted him made him seem that way.

Now he looks different. Shogun was the agressor and seemed to never really have been put in any dangerous situations by Machida. I like Machida, but I wonder if he was overly confident thanks to all that hype.
I think he over trained but that's just my guess. He definitely looked "off" to me. I'm not taking anything away from Shogun, he look good, but Lyoto didn't seem himself.

Maybe it's because of how effective Shogun was? Who knows?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-27-2009, 12:32 AM
Max
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

his mystique is not gone. Rua is one of the best LHW's in the world (as is Machida) and on a good day, which he had last Sat, he beats 99.9% of the LHW's in the world. Machida is still just as dangerous as ever.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-27-2009, 12:33 AM
Max
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
I think he over trained but that's just my guess. He definitely looked "off" to me. I'm not taking anything away from Shogun, he look good, but Lyoto didn't seem himself.

Maybe it's because of how effective Shogun was? Who knows?
I dont think Machida was ready for the way Rua fought. He expected Rua to charge in and attack and he had not traied for a Rua that was going to sit back and pick his shots.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-27-2009, 01:06 AM
F34R F34R is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,101
Default

he never had any mystique to me. He's a counter fighter. When Shogun wasn't pressing, there wasn't anything to counter. Boring ass fight. The rematch will be the same. I actually struggled with buying the PPV up to the last minute of the prelims on Spike. Ultimately I didn't buy it, and I'm glad I didnt now.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-27-2009, 01:07 AM
Max
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by F34R View Post
he never had any mystique to me. He's a counter fighter. When Shogun wasn't pressing, there wasn't anything to counter. Boring ass fight. The rematch will be the same.
I did not think the fight was boring at all, I thought it was a great fight.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-27-2009, 02:24 AM
que
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

lyoto is still one of the best fighters in the LHW division and even in the world. shogun just happens to be one of the best too. people have forgotten over the past few years how good shogun is. he put up a hell of a fight.

i think the outcome of the fight was less about how "off" machida was, and more about how "on" shogun was

for the first time, lyoto looked to be the one confused in the octagon. usually it's the other way around. shogun came from all angles and was even more unpredictable than lyoto IMO. not to mention he landed more strikes and he turned lyoto pink with those vicious leg kicks. the only other fighter who has even gotten that close to competing with lyoto was BJ penn back when BJ was fat like the marshmallow man from ghostbusters at 225 (which is a testament to how good BJ is)

Last edited by que; 10-27-2009 at 02:33 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-27-2009, 03:04 AM
Spiritwalker's Avatar
Spiritwalker Spiritwalker is offline
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Gastonia NC
Posts: 4,339
Default

Lyoto hasn't lost anything.. see below for for a reason why..

I would go so far as to say Lyoto "fought to not lose".. Rua came out with the game plan that shut Lyoto down..

Quote:
Originally Posted by que View Post
lyoto is still one of the best fighters in the LHW division and even in the world. shogun just happens to be one of the best too. people have forgotten over the past few years how good shogun is. he put up a hell of a fight.

i think the outcome of the fight was less about how "off" machida was, and more about how "on" shogun was
__________________
It is because you chose to get on the mat that makes you the winner. Think about how many people are not on that mat right now. - Luis Sucuri Togno
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-27-2009, 03:28 AM
MattHughesRocks's Avatar
MattHughesRocks MattHughesRocks is offline
Stump Rules!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 9,790
Default

Never knew he had any to begin with
__________________


http://stumpdotcom.com/
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-27-2009, 11:56 AM
rockdawg21's Avatar
rockdawg21 rockdawg21 is offline
I'm kind of a big deal
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 5,584
Default

Machida had a mystique? So what is it now, hype?
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.