Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 10-28-2009, 08:03 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
Do you think that you should be able to yell fire in a crowded theater when there is no fire?

You can say anything that you want, you just have to be willing to accept the consequences of what you say.
You're absolutely right...in this case.

That being said, if I want to say "Homosexuality is just as sinful & as abhorrent to God as murder", then that's my right, just like it's John Doe's right to say "I think Ben Westcott is that dumbest most ignorant racist in the world", just like it's Joe Sixpack's right to burn the American flag. Just because you don't like or agree with what I say or how I say it, as long as I'm not encouraging people to break the law or commit a dangerous act, I'm allowed to say it.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:56 PM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post

That being said, if I want to say "Homosexuality is just as sinful & as abhorrent to God as murder", then that's my right, just like it's John Doe's right to say "I think Ben Westcott is that dumbest most ignorant racist in the world", just like it's Joe Sixpack's right to burn the American flag. Just because you don't like or agree with what I say or how I say it, as long as I'm not encouraging people to break the law or commit a dangerous act, I'm allowed to say it.
Exactly.
How can we allow people to burn american flags,
or comdemn the president, or talk about anarchy, etc..

and that is all fine,
but some anti homosexuality speech is outlawed? Makes no sense.

If you live a lifestyle that a large portion of the country may disagree with,
IMO its your deal and you're gonna have to hear some crap about it.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:58 PM
atomdanger

Quote:
Do you think that you should be able to yell fire in a crowded theater when there is no fire?

You can say anything that you want, you just have to be willing to accept the consequences of what you say.
I don't know why you keep bringing up the fire in a theater thing.
How does it relate to talking out against gays?

also, saying "say what you want but deal with the consequences"
is like saying, there are no rules, kill people, but deal with the consequences.
I should be able to say whatever i want, aside from telling people to commit crimes / or some cases of disturbing the peace, etc...
and in that case it would be what you're doing not what you're saying.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:49 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger View Post
It doesn't matter WHY I want to say anything.

I should be able to say ANYTHING I want.
(aside from directing telling people to commit crimes)
but that is exactly what you are doing
Old 10-29-2009, 12:01 AM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
but that is exactly what you are doing
Saying I think (or in my opinion) that somebody deserves to die,
and saying, GO KILL, are not the same thing.

the problem is the slippery slope,
soon it might as well be illegal to say anything bad about anybody.

People need to be responsible for their own actions.
Too many murders get blamed on music, or movies, etc...
If I say I hate homos, or any other group, that's one thing,
if you as an adult choose to go murder them for it, that's YOUR doing, not mine.

If we go down this road, we probably have to outlaw being Muslim,
they teach hate towards others.
We certainly have to outlaw racist beleifs, etc...
Old 10-29-2009, 12:13 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Saying I think (or in my opinion) that somebody deserves to die,
and saying, GO KILL, are not the same thing.
that depends entirely on the situation
Old 10-29-2009, 02:28 AM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
that depends entirely on the situation
Then they should at worst be handled in a case by case situation.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:00 AM
Buzzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco View Post
That's why there should be loop hole like f you say certain **** the government won't bother you but I'm then legally allowed to punch the dog crap out of you.
What is it with you and always wanting to punch the dog crap out of people? You sure haven't seemed to learn and apply anything from your good book. You remind me of the saying, "you can take the kid out of the ghetto but you can't take the ghetto out of the kid."

Quote:
I don't know why you keep bringing up the fire in a theater thing.
How does it relate to talking out against gays?

It relates to you saying that you should be able to say anything you want. You can, but have to be willing to pay the consequences.

also, saying "say what you want but deal with the consequences"
is like saying, there are no rules, kill people, but deal with the consequences.

Not at all, you have the ability to say and do whatever you wish to do, but the consequences happen when you don't abide by the rules of law.

I should be able to say whatever i want, aside from telling people to commit crimes / or some cases of disturbing the peace, etc...
and in that case it would be what you're doing not what you're saying.
You can say and do whatever you want. Again, if you choose to break the law with your words or actions, you should be willing to accept the consequences of your illegal actions. If you stay within the laws, no one is stopping you from saying what you wish to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post

I agree with you here. Your first two statements are opinion and aren't inciting folks to riot or break the law. No harm, no foul.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:22 AM
Crisco

Quote:
What is it with you and always wanting to punch the dog crap out of people? You sure haven't seemed to learn and apply anything from your good book. You remind me of the saying, "you can take the kid out of the ghetto but you can't take the ghetto out of the kid."

and you sir have trouble understanding humor. Perhaps it's my own fault and I should realize your generation is much different then mine. Here something for your tastes.

Take my wife please... /que laughter.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:25 AM
Crisco

Quote:

You can say and do whatever you want. Again, if you choose to break the law with your words or actions, you should be willing to accept the consequences of your illegal actions. If you stay within the laws, no one is stopping you from saying what you wish to say.

I agree with you here. Your first two statements are opinion and aren't inciting folks to riot or break the law. No harm, no foul.
Also by I punching the dog crap out of someone I wasn't talking about myself in the first person.

and also for your information I haven't had a street fight since my senior year of highschool and that was before I was saved.

But please proceed, You look so regal on your soap box =)