Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 10-25-2009, 09:25 PM
Chris F

Default Hate Crime bill passes, Christians on red alert

Christians on high alert over hate crimes passage

Charlie Butts - OneNewsNow - 10/24/2009 4:15:00 AM

A hate crimes bill sent to President Obama for his signature raises a red flag for Christians.

On Thursday, the U.S. Senate passed a hate crimes bill that Christian leaders have warned for years could greatly infringe on the rights of those who speak to loudly about their religious views. Matt Barber of Liberty Counsel agrees with most observers that President Obama will sign the measure -- adding that the president desires to "throw a bone to homosexual activists because they have been breathing down his neck...and this is a way to hold them off."

Barber views the legislation as something akin to a muzzle. "Unfortunately, it places Christians -- people of faith, people who have traditional values relative to sexual immorality...in an untenable position," says the attorney.

He notes that several years ago, a similar law in Pennsylvania resulted in the arrest of 11 Christians who were presenting the gospel at a Philadelphia homosexual rally. Barber goes on to say that the federal bill "will chill religious liberty and free speech -- and that is its intended purpose, not to protect anybody from hate crimes."

And as for pastors? "There is a very weak exemption in [the bill] which is totally illusory, and a religious exemption is not going to protect pastors," responds Barber. "Renegade prosecutors and politically correct leftists in positions of authority can subjectively determine what is or is not a hate crime." And then move on to prosecution, he adds.

Barber explains that Liberty Counsel intends to challenge the constitutionality of the hate crimes legislation.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:34 PM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

Thought control police!
Old 10-26-2009, 01:46 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENTUCKYREDBONE View Post
Thought control police!
Not so much...

more like mouth control police
Old 10-26-2009, 02:20 PM
rearnakedchoke

I don't see anything wrong with the bill ... this is more to target those so-called religious groups (something baptist church) who hold anti-gay rallies, preach that homosexuals should die, AIDS cures homosexuality etc. this won't have any effect on a preacher stating that the bible says homosexuality is a sin ...
Old 10-26-2009, 02:26 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
I don't see anything wrong with the bill ... this is more to target those so-called religious groups (something baptist church) who hold anti-gay rallies, preach that homosexuals should die, AIDS cures homosexuality etc. this won't have any effect on a preacher stating that the bible says homosexuality is a sin ...
Westboro Baptist Church.

They are so ridiculous it's actually somewhat entertaining.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:29 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake View Post
Westboro Baptist Church.

They are so ridiculous it's actually somewhat entertaining.
That is the one .. yes ... i know these groups are small, but they need to be dealt with. I don't think that this bill will target regular religious groups .. it will also target religions like islam who have imams that preach hate against the west, homosexuals ... i know people on here think this is just to target Christians, but it really isn't ...
Old 10-26-2009, 02:57 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
That is the one .. yes ... i know these groups are small, but they need to be dealt with. I don't think that this bill will target regular religious groups .. it will also target religions like islam who have imams that preach hate against the west, homosexuals ... i know people on here think this is just to target Christians, but it really isn't ...
No, it is to get those groups to move to Canada.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:07 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar View Post
No, it is to get those groups to move to Canada.

LOL .. well, since we don't have freedom of speech here, we already have laws similar to this .. and never has a religious leader been charged if they are preaching their religion accordingly ...
Old 10-26-2009, 04:14 PM
eric84

Do you have a link to more explanation about what qualifies as a hate crime or not? I don't agree with threatening people with their lives, but where is the line going to be drawn? If this forces people to not be able to voice their opinions then I don't support it one bit. Maybe they need to pass a law for all those that bash on religion, I feel hate coming from them. If anyone has any additional information on this that would be great.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:04 PM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

I believe that inciting violence is already against the law! If you tell a group of Folks to go out and kill or beat up other I believe you can and should be charged! I think if you hurt someone for fun the charge should be the same as if you hurt them out of racism or whatever! If I say cross dressing shouldn't be allowed in public it is and should be my right to say so. Hate crime laws I think invite certain kinds of people to abuse and use the law wrongly!