Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 10-25-2009, 06:17 PM
Maldonado136

Default Shogun to get immediate rematch

Current Ultimate Fighting Championship light heavyweight titleholder Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida defended his belt for the first time Saturday in front of 16,000 fans at the Staples Center in Los Angeles against Mauricio "Shogun" Rua.

He got the win, but the fight ended in a somewhat controversial decision. UFC president Dana White confirmed to MMAWeekly.com that Rua would get an immediate rematch.

I think there will be a rematch in that fight," said White. "I talked to both of them and they both agreed to a rematch.

Rua voiced his opinion at the post-fight press conference that he's welcome to a second bout with the champion.

Of course Im thinking about a rematch ever since the fight, and if thats Danas wish and Lyotos wish, Ill fight him anywhere, anytime, wherever. Its just a matter of people wanting to put the fight together," said the former top ranked 205-pounder in the world.

Machida also expressed that he'd take the immediate rematch. Of course if the UFC decides we should have a rematch then lets have a rematch," said the champion.

White feels the rematch will live up to expectations.

You never want to hear people booing the main event. Its unfortunate. Thats why I truly believe, I think this will be a good rematch," White told the media following UFC 104.

"I think theyre both going to come in and not make the same mistakes they made this first fight. Theyre going to come in and each one is going to try to win decisively.

Im pretty confident the rematch will be a different fight for both guys," said the UFC president. I guarantee the next fight is going to be much different.

I think that the second fight will be the fight we want to see," White added. I love this rematch. I think its a great rematch.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...9859&zoneid=13
Old 10-25-2009, 06:52 PM
Hughes fanboy

Bollocks that! Can they not just reverse the decision instead ??

Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/
Old 10-25-2009, 08:12 PM
Krupp

Nope. But let's hope Rua fixes his game again and makes it even harder for Machida to beat him next time. If Rua would have avoided trying for takedowns, I think Machida wouldn't have landed so many knees, and that's why he won, I believe. If Rua avoids trying for takedowns, he might do even better..
Old 10-26-2009, 12:49 AM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizion View Post
Bollocks that! Can they not just reverse the decision instead ??
Probably not in Dana's legal authority to do so! I believe it is against the Law for a promoter to overturn the AC's decision! Besides a rematch seems fair to me!
Old 10-26-2009, 01:31 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Shogun will probably lose the rematch because he's spent 25 mins showing Lyoto how he can be beaten and now Lyoto has time to prepare.

That was the performance of a lifetime from Rua, and rematch or not, it sux eggs.

I'd laugh if Lyoto goes and fails his post fight drugs test
Old 10-26-2009, 01:51 AM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
Shogun will probably lose the rematch because he's spent 25 mins showing Lyoto how he can be beaten and now Lyoto has time to prepare.

That was the performance of a lifetime from Rua, and rematch or not, it sux eggs.

I'd laugh if Lyoto goes and fails his post fight drugs test

Yeah, not really. I think what we saw was that Shogun has nothing to worry about from Machida.

Machida is going to have to figure out how to mount some sort of offense,
and Shogun is just going to have to do a tiny bit more to win clearly next time
Old 10-26-2009, 02:06 AM
MMeh

I've taken my share of shots at Dana, but this is a great decision. Kudos to Dana and the UFC for this decision.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:22 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger View Post
Yeah, not really. I think what we saw was that Shogun has nothing to worry about from Machida.

Machida is going to have to figure out how to mount some sort of offense,
and Shogun is just going to have to do a tiny bit more to win clearly next time
dont be so sure...you'll jinx the poor man
Old 10-26-2009, 02:38 AM

Well, ****, he's guaranteed us a better fight next time. that's all I needed to hear. Wait, wait, wait.. I'm not falling for it....

Didn't he guarantee that these two would be there to give us that very thing in this past fight?

Machida fights ONE way.. in every fight. If Shogun doesn't come forward agressively, then Machida will sit back and do exactly what he's done every fight that someone behaved the way Shogun did in this fight.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:00 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by F34R View Post
Well, ****, he's guaranteed us a better fight next time. that's all I needed to hear. Wait, wait, wait.. I'm not falling for it....

Didn't he guarantee that these two would be there to give us that very thing in this past fight?

Machida fights ONE way.. in every fight. If Shogun doesn't come forward agressively, then Machida will sit back and do exactly what he's done every fight that someone behaved the way Shogun did in this fight.
I think Lyoto was actually far more exciting then usual. Credit where its due...he might have deserved to lose the fight, but I found it entertaining. Dumbass Dana doesnt realize it was the bum decision that the people were mainly boooing