Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 10-25-2009, 01:03 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

this is becoming an issue it never was.

If I was White i'd say that any Fighter who misses weight automatically gets a 50percent pay cut and is inelligable for any bonus money even if they score fight or finish of the night.

Its not good enough, Josh Neer, Gleison Tibau, Anthony Johnson, its not good enough WTF is Neers excuse
Old 10-25-2009, 01:58 AM

In my opinion, having an extra 5 pounds of weight is a huge advantage in a fight. Johnson probably realized way before Friday that he wasn't going to make it and decided not to massively dehydrate and starve himself. Although they have a day to rehydrate before the fight, I would bet that not having to dehydrate and starve yourself is a physical advantage over the other fighter who stressed his body to make the weight cut-off. I don't think a financial penalty is enough. They should not only give them a financial penalty, but make them continue to cut weight until they make the mark, even if it takes until late into Friday night or early Saturday morning. The fighter that misses weight should go in with a physical disadvantage, not an advantage. Give them more time to make the cut, so they have less time to rehydrate themselves before the fight. I would also add another penalty by making the fighter ineligible to compete in a championship fight for 1 year.
Old 10-25-2009, 04:57 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krupp View Post
What is it with these young guys not being able to make weight? Too much partying, or is there a serious problem, like building up too much weight and having to cut it too fast?

What do you guys think it is?
1 answer and 1 answer only - LACK OF SELF-DISCIPLINE!!!
Old 10-25-2009, 04:59 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
this is becoming an issue it never was.

If I was White i'd say that any Fighter who misses weight automatically gets a 50percent pay cut and is inelligable for any bonus money even if they score fight or finish of the night.

Its not good enough, Josh Neer, Gleison Tibau, Anthony Johnson, its not good enough WTF is Neers excuse
I think it should be even more stiff than that. 1 time, you fight and surrender your whole purse to your opponent, 2nd time, you get the f' out of the UFC for good.

That would make the fans happy for sure. I HATE it when fighters don't make weight, it's their damn JOB to make weight!
Old 10-25-2009, 09:10 AM

According to this article, Johnson was denied the "Knockout of the Night" bonus because he missed weight.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/16612/ufc-...er-bonuses.mma
Old 10-25-2009, 07:15 PM

Can someone tell me what a "change-weight" fight means? I hadn't heard that before.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:33 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
Can someone tell me what a "change-weight" fight means? I hadn't heard that before.
Catch Weight, its essentially when one or both fighters are permitted to fight at different weights, and outside the normal weight divisions. So for example when someone misses weight, one might weigh in at Lightweight, and the other might be slightly above the lightweight category, therefore if they fight its at a Catch-weight. Sometimes Catchweights are deliberatley instituted to help fighters who are from different divisions fight each other, so for example, a middle weight fighter and a welterweight fighter want to fight each other, they create their own weight division between middle weight and welterweight, one loses, one gains weight in order that they fight at the same weight, but its not an established bracket.

Does that make sense
Old 10-25-2009, 09:03 PM

No wonder he couldn't make the cut if he is coming down from 220 pounds! Can that be right?!?!

http://mmajunkie.com/news/16617/desp...ddleweight.mma

Quote:
Prior to his violent, 39-second thrashing of Yoshiyuki Yoshida at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, Johnson tried to complete the full drop from an out-of-camp high of 220 pounds to the 171-pound limit for welterweight fights. But he never made it. Never got close in fact.

A seemingly dazed and exhausted Johnson was helped onto the stage at Friday's official weighs and tipped the scale at 176 pounds. Johnson's camp, though, was fully aware of the problem and notified Yoshida's team ahead of time of the problem, and the two sides agreed for the fight to go on. Johnson ultimately surrendered 20 percent of his purse to Yoshida as a fine.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
Catch Weight, its essentially when one or both fighters are permitted to fight at different weights, and outside the normal weight divisions. So for example when someone misses weight, one might weigh in at Lightweight, and the other might be slightly above the lightweight category, therefore if they fight its at a Catch-weight. Sometimes Catchweights are deliberatley instituted to help fighters who are from different divisions fight each other, so for example, a middle weight fighter and a welterweight fighter want to fight each other, they create their own weight division between middle weight and welterweight, one loses, one gains weight in order that they fight at the same weight, but its not an established bracket.

Does that make sense
Catch-weight, that's what I meant, sheesh!

Anyway, thanks so much for the explanation, Dave. I guess I never heard it before last night because it doesn't happen too often..
Old 10-25-2009, 10:58 PM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
I think it should be even more stiff than that. 1 time, you fight and surrender your whole purse to your opponent, 2nd time, you get the f' out of the UFC for good.

That would make the fans happy for sure. I HATE it when fighters don't make weight, it's their damn JOB to make weight!
Yeah, for sure.

I think you should lose half your purse at least.
I mean, something really serious