Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Old 02-07-2009, 09:47 AM
billwilliams70

Default Ben Askren

www.benaskren.net

Two-time NCAA Champion, 2008 Olympian, and holder of 87 straight collegiate wins is going to be making his MMA debut this weekend (SAT 7 FEB 09) in Columbia, MO.

Hope he does well.

Later.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:37 PM
HAHNSBRO

Good wrestlers make good fighters, but does he have a strong chin? I'll be there. My bro's fightin on the same card.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:51 PM
billwilliams70

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAHNSBRO
Good wrestlers make good fighters, but does he have a strong chin? I'll be there. My bro's fightin on the same card.
That's some cool stuff, lemme know how they both do.

Later.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:32 PM
HAHNSBRO

I will.
Hoping for a fight this weekend. My brother was on the card last week in Moberly MO. and was schedualed to fight the #2 ISCF 185 lb. amature fighter, during the weigh in the guy (Tom Tajkowski) called in and said he was sick and couldn't fight. Another fighter came in and said he would fight him and kick his @**. Well didn't happen, the guy 5 minuets from the fight took his gloves off and said he didn't want to fight my brother. Two forfits in one day. I guess when they hear he holds 2 MO. state records in wrestling and trains at Hughes gym they get scared. The second guy was boo'ed out of the auditorium. My bro sold over 60 tickes himself. You could imagin the reaction.

With a few pros and a big card looks to be a good night tonight. My brother met Askren a while back when he was wrestling and said he was a bad dude on the mat. Has alot of speed and is real strong. I'm pumped and ready to see some good fights.
I'll make a post with the unofficial results tonight.
Oh yeah, Its suposed to be streamed live at purefighter.com
Old 02-07-2009, 03:35 PM
HAHNSBRO

Sorry its www.purefight.org
Old 02-07-2009, 04:38 PM
atomdanger

Quote:
Ehh, not a rule at all.

Wrestlers are just like any other group (BJJ, Judo, Karate, Kickboxers, etc..).
Some convert it well to MMA, some do not.
Some can take a punch, some cannot.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:48 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger
Ehh, not a rule at all.

Wrestlers are just like any other group (BJJ, Judo, Karate, Kickboxers, etc..).
Some convert it well to MMA, some do not.
Some can take a punch, some cannot.
True, but the work ethic that most wrestlers develop translates well into MMA since they have so much to learn. That work ethic means that more wrestlers tend to be willing to put in the time to learn the new skills they need, meaning that a higher percentage of wrestlers have successful cross-overs.

EDIT: I just re-read my post.All those "facts" without a single piece of proof. I must be the Ultimate Keyboard Warrior!!!! :P:
Old 02-07-2009, 05:59 PM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan
True, but the work ethic that most wrestlers develop translates well into MMA since they have so much to learn. That work ethic means that more wrestlers tend to be willing to put in the time to learn the new skills they need, meaning that a higher percentage of wrestlers have successful cross-overs.

EDIT: I just re-read my post.All those "facts" without a single piece of proof. I must be the Ultimate Keyboard Warrior!!!! :P:

True, I just try not to get my hopes up when people come to MMA, its hit or miss.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:01 PM
HAHNSBRO

Very true VCU. The key words were "good wrestlers" It doesn't mean they will become champions but most already have the right state of mind for competativeness speed and ajility. Yes a strong chin deffinantly makes a big differance. Would you rather go to the ground against a brawler or a wrestler? Ive been around champion wrestlers and the regement of training doesnt match those of an avarage martial arts student.
My nephew eats right, runs twice a day, weight trains once a day as well as wrestling practics once a day. All that just to be competative. My brother still trains in a simular manner.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Very true VCU. The key words were "good wrestlers" It doesn't mean they will become champions but most already have the right state of mind for competativeness speed and ajility. Yes a strong chin deffinantly makes a big differance. Would you rather go to the ground against a brawler or a wrestler? Ive been around champion wrestlers and the regement of training doesnt match those of an avarage martial arts student.
My nephew eats right, runs twice a day, weight trains once a day as well as wrestling practics once a day. All that just to be competative. My brother still trains in a simular manner.
Thanks for the link. I won't be able to watch but will rooting for your bro!

[