Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Old 10-27-2009, 02:55 AM
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldbreland View Post
Now that I think about it. I think if he got anderson to the ground he could make him tap. By the way a Royce of 1995 could beat Anderson today. I wish they would fight just so we can say yes or no but it will never happen so I guess we will never know.
dude Im sorry but you make Cecil People look smart
Old 10-27-2009, 03:41 AM
donaldbreland

Look Anderson silva isn't the best thing since butter. Just like the Machida fight. Everyone said he would dominate that fight. He didn't. In fact he shouldn't have won that fight. I think Anderson will get beat in his next fight. Although I'm sad to say it will be against belfort. I think Anderson is a great fighter but so was Royce in his day. People forget that. Matt did dominate that fight and I think of all the people in the UFC Matt could beat Anderson. I'm not saying that because I am a loyal Matt Hughes fan either. I'm saying that because Anderson would under estimate Matt.
It seems people are not wanting to give Royce credit. Personally I don't like him but he is a legend. I think Anderson wouldn't go up against a 400lber and win. I want to see the UFC really test Anderson. Give him someone with a good wrestling background and a tough chin. Might seem like an odd request But I would like to see him fight Belcher. Go ahead and blast me on that one too. I would also like to see Anderson fight Cung Le. I would liek to see Anderson fight BJ Penn as well. Blast me. Go ahead
Old 10-27-2009, 03:57 AM
Max

Quote:
Look Anderson silva isn't the best thing since butter. Just like the Machida fight. Everyone said he would dominate that fight. He didn't. In fact he shouldn't have won that fight. I think Anderson will get beat in his next fight. Although I'm sad to say it will be against belfort. I think Anderson is a great fighter but so was Royce in his day. People forget that. Matt did dominate that fight and I think of all the people in the UFC Matt could beat Anderson. I'm not saying that because I am a loyal Matt Hughes fan either. I'm saying that because Anderson would under estimate Matt.
It seems people are not wanting to give Royce credit. Personally I don't like him but he is a legend. I think Anderson wouldn't go up against a 400lber and win. I want to see the UFC really test Anderson. Give him someone with a good wrestling background and a tough chin. Might seem like an odd request But I would like to see him fight Belcher. Go ahead and blast me on that one too. I would also like to see Anderson fight Cung Le. I would liek to see Anderson fight BJ Penn as well. Blast me. Go ahead
Roids beat up scrubs who did not know anything about JJ. Silva is a BJJ BB under Nog. He is one of only 3 people to sub Henderson (by the way, not sure if you know this or not but Henderson is an olympic wrestler and has never been TKOed so he would be that good wrestler with a tough chin). Silva is beating top level MMA fighters, Gracie beat mid to low level fighters who would not even be in any of the major names in MMA. There is no comparison between the two. What Matt did to Roids is what every top 10 fighter would do to Roids in every weight class.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:09 AM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
For the record, the question is about ONE Gracie in particular, and nothing to do with the system at all.

Royce Gracie fighting any current champion either in our time, or in his time, is not really anything to do with his families system, which evidently he cant utilize aswell as people outside his family.

I'm sick to death of credit being given to the Gracies for every bloody win in MMA. Thats as stupid as claiming the Romans or Greeks came up with the idea of Combat Sports, and thus every win is attributed to their invention.

Besides, its not BJJ that wins, its BJJ in combination with all sorts of other things, modified by each tutor so much, it probably bears very little to the primative fundementals on which it is based. Its just sad to Rob decent people who have mastered their own set of techniques, and give grattitude to some archaic family who used/branded the techniques under their own names...but who...incidently, arent much cop, and havent been for some years
Right, but my point was it doesn't matter if Royce can compete in modern MMA anymore.
His family, and their sport/martial art have won.

They brought mma to the US,
they revolutionized what YOU and everybody else thought about martial arts and it makes me sick when people do not give them credit for that.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:11 AM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
Roids beat up scrubs who did not know anything about JJ. Silva is a BJJ BB under Nog. He is one of only 3 people to sub Henderson (by the way, not sure if you know this or not but Henderson is an olympic wrestler and has never been TKOed so he would be that good wrestler with a tough chin). Silva is beating top level MMA fighters, Gracie beat mid to low level fighters who would not even be in any of the major names in MMA. There is no comparison between the two. What Matt did to Roids is what every top 10 fighter would do to Roids in every weight class.

IMO the two times of mma are incomparable.

Most fighters now can't take a slight nut shot or eye poke,
they wouldn't like bare knuckle, blows to the back of the head, etc...
No time limits, etc... It was a different animal,
and IMO early UFC's weren't really mma.

You can cut down Royce all you want,
but you wouldn't know about the UFC or Matt Hughes without him.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:23 AM
Miss Foxy

You have got to be kidding me this question is very amusing... Uum Anderson would smash that fool...
Old 10-27-2009, 05:36 AM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Well not a lot of people thought an AMERICAN WRESTLER would beat the brazilian jj expert. I am sorry I think people hype up the Gracies too much. I just don't ride on that wagon for some reason.. Just my opinion though..
Old 10-27-2009, 05:44 AM
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger View Post
IMO the two times of mma are incomparable.

Most fighters now can't take a slight nut shot or eye poke,
they wouldn't like bare knuckle, blows to the back of the head, etc...
No time limits, etc... It was a different animal,
and IMO early UFC's weren't really mma.

You can cut down Royce all you want,
but you wouldn't know about the UFC or Matt Hughes without him.
I agree that the Gracie's made MMA what it is today but the fact remains that they are not the best MMA, or even BJJ, fighters in the world (I would like to point out that there are also other forms of submission fighting besides just BJJ). If I'm going to thank anyone in the Gracie family it would be Rorion Gracie, he is the one who started the UFC. Some people act like Royce is some type of MMA god and that is not the case, he was not even the best Gracie. He was chosen because he was smaller than the other fighters which made GJJ look even better.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:45 AM
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
Well not a lot of people thought an AMERICAN WRESTLER would beat the brazilian jj expert. I am sorry I think people hype up the Gracies too much. I just don't ride on that wagon for some reason.. Just my opinion though..
Matt was not an American Wrestler he was an MMA fighter. what you saw in that fight was a true MMA fighter vs a BJJ fighter.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:50 AM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
I agree that the Gracie's made MMA what it is today but the fact remains that they are not the best MMA, or even BJJ, fighters in the world (I would like to point out that there are also other forms of submission fighting besides just BJJ). If I'm going to thank anyone in the Gracie family it would be Rorion Gracie, he is the one who started the UFC. Some people act like Royce is some type of MMA god and that is not the case, he was not even the best Gracie. He was chosen because he was smaller than the other fighters which made GJJ look even better.

Oh I don't dispute them being the best at mma or BJJ.
I just think people seem to forget how much they have done.

I know, it was going to be Rickson.... and how sick would that have been.