Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Old 10-21-2009, 05:20 AM
donaldbreland

Default Who do you think would win.

Anderson Silva vs Royce Gracie
Old 10-21-2009, 06:34 AM
Max

really, is this some kind of joke. Roids would get killed by 75% (if not more) of the fighters in the UFC. Every champ in every division in UFC, DREAM, or Strike Force would kill him. Yes including that he/she Cyborg .
Old 10-21-2009, 07:23 AM
donaldbreland

I meant to say Royce back in 95 vs Anderson now. My computer froze up when I submitted that. I do however think that Royce is still a very dangerous fighter. Matt Hughes over powered him and Royce under estimated Hughes. I don't think for one minute Anderson would or could beat Royce on the ground. Even today.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:02 AM
Buc Nasty

Do you think this fight would even go to the ground?

Anderson would destroy the 1995 Royce Gracie if they fought.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:55 AM
County Mike

The Gracies were great at the time because nobody else knew Jiu Jitsu. Now, it's been proven over and over that jiu jitsu alone is not enough. It's definitely a valuable tool and the Gracie's are some of the best, but it's not enough to win at the top level anymore. Fighters need to be a lot more well-rounded in today's UFC.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:17 PM

Royce vs Silva would look a lot like the Thales Leites fight, except I think Anderson would finish it.

[
Old 10-21-2009, 01:30 PM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

Silva would win! Look how much Trouble Royce had with Kimo and Shamrock! Silva knows JJ and is a better striker than any of them 3!
Old 10-21-2009, 03:16 PM
Crisco

Comparing Royce gracie of then to any top 20 15 fighter in any weight class would be unfair.

They all know what he knows and they are more athletic can wrestle and are good strikers.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:31 PM
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldbreland View Post
I meant to say Royce back in 95 vs Anderson now. My computer froze up when I submitted that. I do however think that Royce is still a very dangerous fighter. Matt Hughes over powered him and Royce under estimated Hughes. I don't think for one minute Anderson would or could beat Royce on the ground. Even today.
even Roids from 95 would get killed by every champ in every division on UFC, DREAM or Strike Force. Like someone else said, Roids dominated when no one knew what JJ was. Since 1995 Roids is 3-2-3. In one of his 3 wins he used roids to beat Sakuraba. Once people knew what JJ was Roids was nothing more than an average fighter at best.

I also think that if the fight hit the ground Anderson would do just fine on the ground. I dont know if he would tap Roids but I dont think Roids would tap Anderson.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:23 PM
rearnakedchoke

royce didn't fight in the sport of mma as it is today .... he would lose under today's rules because they have been adapted to favour strikers and have more action ... royce's game plan was to take you down and hold you in his guard, not take any damage, loosen you up with kidney strikes and then submit you ... he was able to beat bigger guys this way ... granted, they were all one dimensional fighters (some couldn't even be considered athletes) ... but nowadays, even if he had someone in his guard, it would be stood up due to inactivity ... royce didn't have to train striking because in his world he doesn't need to strike .. the UFC of the early days was created by the gracies to promote the gracies and bjj and they did an amazing job of it ... but to compare the two eras is irrelevant and you will never know anyway ..