Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-15-2009, 11:39 PM
KENTUCKYREDBONE
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Limbaugh may have grounds for Libel suit!

Limbaugh May Have Grounds for Libel Suit, Legal Analysts Say
Thursday , October 15, 2009

By Joshua Rhett Miller


ADVERTISEMENTRush Limbaugh, who saw his bid to co-own a National Football League team sacked partly because of quotes he purportedly made regarding slavery, could have grounds for a libel suit, legal experts told Foxnews.com.

The conservative radio host was dropped on Wednesday from a group seeking to buy the St. Louis Rams. Dave Checketts, chairman of the St. Louis Blues hockey team, who is leading the effort to buy the NFL team, said Limbaugh was dropped from the group after his involvement in the process became a "complication and a distraction."

Limbaugh's role in the potential sale became the target of liberals on Monday when reports surfaced on news organizations including CNN, MSNBC and the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that the radio personality once said that slavery "had its merits."

"Slavery built the South," Limbaugh was reported to have said. "I'm not saying we should bring it back. I'm just saying it had its merit. For one thing, the streets were safer after dark."

That purported statement, according to Post-Dispatch columnist Bryan Burwell, came from a 2006 book, "101 People Who Are Really Screwing America," by John Huberman, which does not provide specific details regarding the quote.

Limbaugh has repeatedly denied making the statement. On his radio show on Wednesday, he said, "They continue to spread the false, fabricated quotes and lies, and people continue to comment on them. So I'm faced with the dilemma, what do I do with this?"

One of the things he can do is pick up the ball and run straight to court. Lis Wiehl, a former federal prosecutor and Fox News legal analyst, said Limbaugh has grounds for a libel suit if he can prove he never uttered those words.

"If he didn't say that, his people should come out and say that," Wiehl said. "If it's true he didn't say that, then this is horrible what those organizations are trying to do to slime him."

As a public figure, Wiehl said, Limbaugh would have to prove actual malice and damages -- meaning he'd have to show that the media organizations knowingly and maliciously published that information without regard for the truth, and that he suffered because of it.

"It's a higher standard," she said. "If they actually made up a quote that cost him a deal that he would've otherwise gotten, then yeah, he's got a case."

If the matter revolved around a non-public figure, the potential lawsuit would be a "slam dunk," Wiehl said.

"[Limbaugh] would literally have to prove that whoever put that out did so knowingly in an attempt to hurt him," she continued. "If I were his lawyer, I would argue actual malice. If it's fabricated, what other reason would they make it up?"

Lee Armstrong, a New York-based attorney for the law firm Jones Day, said Limbaugh would have a "very high burden" to meet as a public figure to sue for libel or defamation. But if the quote was indeed fabricated, Armstrong said the radio personality has a potential case.

"These cases typically settle, and they settle not necessarily for money, but maybe the news organization will print a retraction or give Rush the ability to counterbalance what is being said," Armstrong said.

If a lawsuit were to proceed, Armstrong said a potentially fascinating situation would unfold as Limbaugh's attorneys would be granted access to documents on exactly how the story or news segment became published.

"Rush would be able to try and discover whether there's this liberal machinery he's always talking about," Armstrong said. "The whole world would be watching. That's what's interesting."

Brent Bozell, president of the Media Research Center, a conservative media watchdog group, has called on CNN and MSNBC to prove Limbaugh actually made the slavery comment or immediately retract and apologize for their role in disseminating the message.

"The CNN and MSNBC 'news' networks are guilty of promoting outright falsehoods and purposely using fabricated disinformation created by left-wing radicals to destroy a conservative leader," Bozell said in a statement released Wednesday. "There is no grey area here. CNN and MSNBC were given ample time opportunity to come clean, but both are continuing to masquerade malicious lies as credible."

A CNN spokeswoman had not provided a response to questions as of midday Thursday. Calls to MSNBC were not returned and attempts to reach Huberman were unsuccessful.

Meanwhile, Sandra Baron, executive director of New York's Libel Defense Resource Center, urged Limbaugh to consider his legal options if he feels he was libeled.

"Libel law really does require one to understand specifically what was said and how it was said," Baron said. "If Mr. Limbaugh thinks he's got a claim, he's certainly got the money to hire an attorney."
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-16-2009, 12:23 AM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

The Rams suck so bad right now, they really don't need any more drama.

Rush should stick radio and stay away from the NFL. Having a guy like him as an owner would just bring controversy to the team. Every time Rush steps over the "line", Rams players would be getting hounded by reporters for their opinion. Not good for the team.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-16-2009, 12:53 AM
flo's Avatar
flo flo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Great Pacific Northwest
Posts: 7,737
Default

He should sue. These quotes that have been attributed to him have not been verified and I heard that several sources - some sympathetic, some not - have tried. Believe me, every word he utters is recorded in the hopes of smearing him so it shouldn't be too hard to verify.

It reminds me of the people who still parrot the tired phrase "Bush stole the election!" even though every news agency on the planet, using every conceivable counting method, got the same result - Gore lost.

Go MajaRushie!!!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-16-2009, 01:03 AM
flo's Avatar
flo flo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Great Pacific Northwest
Posts: 7,737
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake View Post
Every time Rush steps over the "line", Rams players would be getting hounded by reporters for their opinion. Not good for the team.
Hmm, do you think so? I dont know, Mark Cuban is pretty controversial but I doubt the Mavericks get asked their opinions on his doings.

Of course, this is baseball but what about Marge Schott, she was an outrageous bigot and anti-semite, the worst they did to her was ban her from managing, IIRC. I'm sure people knew her attitudes, she wasn't a shrinking violet, yet her money talked and she bought the team.

Seems like a double standard.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-16-2009, 03:08 AM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
Hmm, do you think so? I dont know, Mark Cuban is pretty controversial but I doubt the Mavericks get asked their opinions on his doings.

Of course, this is baseball but what about Marge Schott, she was an outrageous bigot and anti-semite, the worst they did to her was ban her from managing, IIRC. I'm sure people knew her attitudes, she wasn't a shrinking violet, yet her money talked and she bought the team.

Seems like a double standard.
You make a good point, but Mark Cuban and Marge Schott are not nearly as controversial as Rush Limbaugh. Now, I don't really follow the Dallas media too much, but I am willing to bet that the Mavs players have been asked a question or two from time to time regarding their owner.

Rush is considered by many to be the poster boy for conservatives, and he is always wrapped up in something controversial. I know if I was a member of the Rams, I would be happy that he is not buying the team.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-16-2009, 03:32 AM
Chuck
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake View Post
You make a good point, but Mark Cuban and Marge Schott are not nearly as controversial as Rush Limbaugh. Now, I don't really follow the Dallas media too much, but I am willing to bet that the Mavs players have been asked a question or two from time to time regarding their owner.

Rush is considered by many to be the poster boy for conservatives, and he is always wrapped up in something controversial. I know if I was a member of the Rams, I would be happy that he is not buying the team.
I'm guessing you forgot who Marge Schott is?

If you remember her at all.... she was much, much more controversial then Rush... definitely more racist...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-16-2009, 03:41 AM
flo's Avatar
flo flo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Great Pacific Northwest
Posts: 7,737
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake View Post
You make a good point, but Mark Cuban and Marge Schott are not nearly as controversial as Rush Limbaugh. Now, I don't really follow the Dallas media too much, but I am willing to bet that the Mavs players have been asked a question or two from time to time regarding their owner.

Rush is considered by many to be the poster boy for conservatives, and he is always wrapped up in something controversial. I know if I was a member of the Rams, I would be happy that he is not buying the team.
Well, you may be right about that. I admit I'm biased in that I really like Rush and can't imagine how tough it is to fight against a determined smear campaign. I hope Matt H. (or Nate) would comment on this, he knows what it's like to be smeared by some jerks trying to libel him.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-16-2009, 03:42 AM
flo's Avatar
flo flo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Great Pacific Northwest
Posts: 7,737
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
I'm guessing you forgot who Marge Schott is?

If you remember her at all.... she was much, much more controversial then Rush... definitely more racist...
Yeah, she "admired" Hitler and dropped the "n" bomb all the time...

She didn't like Latinos much either...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-16-2009, 05:15 AM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
I'm guessing you forgot who Marge Schott is?

If you remember her at all.... she was much, much more controversial then Rush... definitely more racist...
C'mon bro, I did not forget who she is, but the point is NOBODY REALLY CARED. People will not just forget about Rush and brush him off as a crazy old lady.

Just because you are a proven racist does not mean you are MORE controversial than somebody like Rush Limbaugh. He has a GIANT audience, and there are large groups of people who study his every word in an attempt to discredit him at every turn.

I don't dislike Rush, I just don't think any NFL team needs those kind of distractions. Especially when you are 0-5 and have pretty much sucked since 2000 when Kurt Warner was your QB. Every week or two, Rush is in the news for people calling him out on something he said, I just don't think the players on the Rams would want or need that sort of distraction.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-16-2009, 05:55 AM
donaldbreland
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I am sick and tired of every time a white man speaks about a black man he his a racist. My God can't a man have an opinion. I hear blacks all the time on B.E.T calling each other the N word but when or if a white man says it he is a racist. That is the same reason this generation is screwing up our country. People get a grip. Rush has some good points and some bad points but all in all we must remember he is only human. He as one person can't change the country. He only offers his opinions about what he thinks our problems are. You want to know what are problems are in this country. Our problems in this country relates to how racist we are as a society. Whites are racist towards blacks and blacks are racist towards white and then when thats not enough whites start becoming racist towards whites and blacks start becoming racist towards blacks. The problem is this. When I have an opinion about something and you think I'm wrong you only assume that I am with out providing facts. We would much rather voice an opinion rather than state a fact. Ask questions that need to be answered and don't be scared to hear an answer that might upset you or scare you. All I can hear is people all the time talking about how racist whites are' but this swings both ways.
For instance. I have a cousin who has a mixed kid and my wife and I watched her for the first time this weekend. We took her to a festival in a little town near where I live. Now this town is a country town and has a good mixture of blacks and whites. Normally we all get along but I learned something this past weekend. As I was walking with the baby I noticed people would stare at me and my wife as if there was something wrong with us. Mainly the black people would make comments about the baby in a negative way. The older white people would give us looks but wouldn't say anything. My point I am trying to make is this. The reason that they wouldn't let Rush buy the team is because he made a racial comment and the NAACP was going to get involved. The NAACP is one of the most racist groups out there today. Probably more so than the KKK. the reason I say that is because every where they turn they are creating violence. Just look at what the NAACP stands for. National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. Why can't they be called the NAAAP. National Association for the Advancement of All People. This racism card works both ways. We are all a little racist. Don't believe me. Is there any one you do not like out here in this world. If you say no then your telling a lie. If you hate someone then your a racist. Bottom line. So lets fess up and admit that we are all a little racist towards other people. I know I am and every day I know I will get better because my faith and love for the Lord will give me power to become a better person. By the way I agree on what he said about Donovan Mcnabb.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.