Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Training/Nutrition

Old 10-15-2009, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

A small apple with PB on the slices is pretty good too. Fruit with a handful of nuts works. Or yogurt with granola sprinkled on. Yummmm....

I'm not a big breakfast eater either. I wake up at 7 and have my 2 cups of coffee (with milk and sugar-bad I know), and then can't eat before 9 or I'll feel ill. So at 9 I eat my breakfast here at my desk. At 11 I have snack and eat lunch about 1 or 1:30. I have a snack about 3:30 and then supper about 6 if I don't have JJ that night. If I do have JJ I don't get home until almost 9 so I adjust my afternoon snack and just have a late supper. I try to get a bedtime snack in as well on the nights I don't go to the gym. I keep water at my desk constantly so that I sip all day long to stay hydrated.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 10-15-2009, 07:22 PM
Shoots like a girl

LOL! I hate to eat breakfast so if I can have fruit as my breakfast that would be great!! Any that I should stay away from? My favs are green apples, pineapple and strawberries, but also love green grapes and oranges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
Something light at least, to get your metabolism moving. A small bran muffin (if not loaded with sugar). Some toast with a light spread of peanut butter and even a little jelly is OK. (Don't go overboard with PB or Jelly, just enough for a little flavor). Wash it down with water or with your coffee.

Fruit is always good too. If you love fruit, eat a little for breakfast.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:25 PM
Shoots like a girl

Oh and I love water! Im just not drinking enough of it sounds like! I cant wait to put some of this new info to the test next week! Like I said, Ive never really had to worry about this before so its all new to me.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:42 PM
County Mike

Almost all fruits are good. Some have more calories than others but fructose isn't as bad as table sugar. As long as it's in moderation, nearly any fruit should be OK for breakfast. Try to count up the calories and keep your number down. I'm guessing a good number per day for you would be around 1500.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:54 PM
Shoots like a girl

Ive been trying to stay close to 1500 per day the last week and Im down 1 pound. But Ive been getting those calories into 2 big meals a day! So Im going to start the several small meals plan this coming week. Now, I know losing 1 pound a week isnt bad but I really would like to drop it more quickly than that. Im looking forward to fitting into my old camo again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
Almost all fruits are good. Some have more calories than others but fructose isn't as bad as table sugar. As long as it's in moderation, nearly any fruit should be OK for breakfast. Try to count up the calories and keep your number down. I'm guessing a good number per day for you would be around 1500.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:08 AM
gymcoach97

You must find a way to do some form of resistance exercise. Whether it's in a commercial gym or just body weight exercises at your house. Diet is crucial and eating meals at the appropriate times is also important. But, if you do not have lean muscle tissue, then it is very difficult to raise your resting metabolic rate. The only way to build lean muscle is through resistance training.

Some general tips...some of which were already expressed...

It is best to eat 5-6 small meals per day. This allows for more utilization of the nutrients consumed and keeps the metabolic furnace chugging along. Plus, it keeps insulin levels more steady and therefore less of the nutrients are stored as fats (triglycerides).

It is best to eat lean protein at each of those meals or "feedings." Complete, lean protein has been shown to provide numerous positive benefits including the fact that it is more difficult to digest and will cause you to burn more calories when digesting it. It causes an increased glucagon (a hormone) response that helps lead to more fat mobilization. And, a whole host of other positive effects. Eat more veggies! For your carb sources, it should be pretty much veggies and fruits unless you've just performed a strenuous workout. Then, you can eat foods like pastas or simple carbohydrates like cakes, etc. because your muscles need to be replenished. (i.e. restoring glycogen levels, etc.) Drink more water or if you can't handle water all of the time, green tea is alright as well. Green tea has a lot of antioxidants amongst some other positive qualities.

As it has been said, meal planning and even preparation of meals in advance is crucial from a diet standpoint. Also, you need to eat a nutritious breakfast. Your metabolism slows by about 10% overnight and you should eat within that first hour of waking in the morning.

Now, for exercise, you need to do some type of resistance training. Developing lean muscle mass is crucial. In fact, I rate it as more important than traditional "cardio." Focus on full-body, multi-joint movements like squats or push-ups, for example. These movements burn more calories and provide other qualities such as core stabilization. They are far more useful than exercises like arm curls, etc. because the body does not function in isolation. It is an integrated unit. The core is the centerpiece of that unit. You develop power in the legs and transfer it through the core and up to the upper extremities.

So, that's another thing - do more stabilization exercises (planks, etc.) for your core training. Doing sit-ups or crunches until you are blue in the face and passed out is not going to get the job done. In fact, it's probably doing more harm than good. Considerable research has shown that repeated bouts of lumbar flexion (rounding of the low back) contributes to lumbar disc problems. Furthermore, crunches cause the abdominal muscles to become shortened. Most people have a "forward/rounded shoulders" posture as it is from sitting at the computer so much and doing a million crunches is the last thing to do to enhance posture and alignment. The rectus abdominus muscle inserts at the 5th, 6th, and 7th ribs and originates on the pubic bone. So, a shortened rectus is going to pull the rib cage downward and contribute to a forward shoulder/hunched posture. This can lean to shoulder problems later due to limited thoracic spine mobility. (Sorry, I'm getting off on tangents, here...I love this sh**...what can I say...)

Proper core training involves learning to stabilize to protect your lumbar spine from unnecessary flexion/extension and rotation.

The other key to fat loss is interval training. Research has shown that performing high intensity bouts leads to greater fat mobilization, particularly in the 24 hours after the exercise bout. As I like to say, who looks more cut...a sprinter or distance runner? While the distance runner is very skinny, their body fat is considerably higher than a sprinter because they burn so many calories and lose lean muscle in the process. With that said, do you think a sprinter is logging mileage? There's something to sprint/interval training as it relates to fat loss. Coach/Trainer Alwyn Cosgrove calls this the "Afterburn." You can design strength/training and/or metabolic circuits to produce a similar effect.

I noticed that you live in Indiana. I live in Indiana as well. Whereabouts are you at? I live about 45 min north of Indy.

Good Luck.
Chris
Old 10-16-2009, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

Chris! Where ya been? You called meals "feedings." I am soooo using that at work today. I can't wait to say, "Not now, I'm having a feeding."

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 10-16-2009, 12:49 PM
gymcoach97

Hi Amy,

I've been pretty busy and quite honestly, the boards have somewhat slowed from in the past. So, I come on every day or two and just take a glance. I'm sure when Matt's next fight is announced, things will pick up around here and there'll be more to post about.

I recently started working as a personal trainer, so that's taken up a lot of my time in terms of trying to find clients, writing programs, and continually educating myself. Plus, I'm still trying to finish up a master's thesis. I didn't get much out of the program, but I figured I might as well try to finish up since I invested two years. Then I can pack the piece of paper away in a box with the others.

I learned more about the application of training and fitness by spending about 8 Saturdays with a couple of respected professionals this summer. As I like to say, I learned more in 8 Saturdays than I probably have in 8 years of schooling - ha ha. It's sad, but true. There is a big disconnect between academia and the real world, practical application. The Ph.D's of the world need to get out of their office and out of the lab and see what's going on in the real world with practitioners. I could go on and on about that...

Anyway, I'm still lurking around. Every now and again I'll throw up a post. I wish this part of the forum were a bit more active and I'd be posting more.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymcoach97 View Post
Hi Amy,

I've been pretty busy and quite honestly, the boards have somewhat slowed from in the past. So, I come on every day or two and just take a glance. I'm sure when Matt's next fight is announced, things will pick up around here and there'll be more to post about.

I recently started working as a personal trainer, so that's taken up a lot of my time in terms of trying to find clients, writing programs, and continually educating myself. Plus, I'm still trying to finish up a master's thesis. I didn't get much out of the program, but I figured I might as well try to finish up since I invested two years. Then I can pack the piece of paper away in a box with the others.

I learned more about the application of training and fitness by spending about 8 Saturdays with a couple of respected professionals this summer. As I like to say, I learned more in 8 Saturdays than I probably have in 8 years of schooling - ha ha. It's sad, but true. There is a big disconnect between academia and the real world, practical application. The Ph.D's of the world need to get out of their office and out of the lab and see what's going on in the real world with practitioners. I could go on and on about that...

Anyway, I'm still lurking around. Every now and again I'll throw up a post. I wish this part of the forum were a bit more active and I'd be posting more.

Nursing is a lot like that as well. You go to school and learn a lot of theory and facts but then get into real world nursing and see how things really happen and how people really react to things. Humans are funny creatures. You never know how they will react to anything, not meds, not treatments, not your words or touch, it's all unknown and best guess half the time. Anyway, I'm glad you're still around.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 10-16-2009, 02:29 PM
Shoots like a girl

Gymcoach~ That was more information that I think I can even wrap my mind around this morning! But it was awesome advice! LOL, I had every intentions of getting on here this morning and patting myself on the back while I told Amy that I had an orange with my coffee this morning insted of skipping food alltogether like usual. I found out over the last 24 hours (thanks to my new friends here) that my biggest problem is that Im eating two HUGE meals a day insted of several small meals. Ive already begun changing that habit! I think my second biggest problem is WHAT Im eating. I totally can get into the fruits and veggies, but what kind of proteins should I be eating? I still have to cook for my family and I will talk with the hubby tonight but Im sure that he wont be up for what I should be eating and I will have to make other arrangements for them. But I will do it! My other concern is that although I would LOVE to have a membership at a gym thats just not in my budget, I have checked into it. However, it may be something to top off my Christmas list! I have a medium size exercise ball, tredmill and Wii Fit at home. What are my most effective forms of exercise with the tools that I have? I am sooo motivated, you really have no idea, I just need some guidance. I figure if I can quit smoking after 18 years I can do anything! Its just more difficult working with what Ive got. I get home from work at 6pm and have dinner to make, homework to help with, baths to get, laundry to do and winding down to bed. Even with no time taken to exercise I am not getting to bed until midnight most nights and then back up at 6am to start my day again. LOL, Im exhausted just thinking about it! Wow, I sound like such a whinner! Ugh. Sorry. Anyway, to your question, I live pretty close to Terre Haute, as a matter of fact thats where I work. I did however grow up in Indianapolis and still have family there. Where are you? Carla