Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Training/Nutrition

Old 10-15-2009, 03:09 PM
Shoots like a girl

Default Would love some advice

Im VERY new here so I hope Im in the right place. Im 35 and quit smoking 2 years ago this week. Although I dont regret that decision I have managed to pick up 50 pounds! I was a small girl before I quit. I would love to get back to that happy attractive girl but cant afford a gym membership and I have a husband, 2 kids and one full time job to keep up with. Anyone have any HEALTHY ways to help me drop this weight? Any and all suggestions are welcomed! Thanks!!
Old 10-15-2009, 05:24 PM
County Mike

Diet is most important. Cut down on quantity of food, but more importantly put more thought into what you eat. Cut out ALL soda. Replace it with water. Add some lemon juice if you need a little flavor.

Don't go for artificial sweeteners. They tend to increase your appetite and are unhealthy in worst ways than being fattening.

Of course, exercise as much as you can. Will power and motivation will be important. Find someone/something to help with both.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:28 PM
Shoots like a girl

Mike~ Thank you so much for your advice/encouragement! Its so hard to find time to exercise when you have little ones and its something Ive never HAD to do before.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

Carla, how old are your kiddos? Is it possible to get a group of other moms together to do an exercise type program like a walking club or something? No kids, no husbands, no worries, just time with the girls. It is very hard to try and find the time to do something like this for yourself but it's sooo important. Hubby and kids will survive while you are gone and you'll be a much happier wife/mom if you feel better. Do it, make it a top priority. You'll have to really sit down and plan meals and snacks. Make a written plan for a week of meals with snacks so that you eat 6 small meals a day with a ton of water thrown in there. I agree with Mike about the sweeteners and sodas. Give it all a try for 6 weeks and see how much better you feel and by then it will be such a habit that you'll hate to skip a day of planned exercise and will feel 'icky' after eating too much crappy food. And don't forget to sleep. Being sleep deprived really makes you crave carbs. Don't keep junk in the house, no sodas and only healthy snacks. Some occasional cheating is fine but if you don't buy it, you won't be able to eat it when tempted.

And don't be shy, feel free to start a thread here for encouragement posting what exercise you did each day and what you ate. Accountability to another is a strong motivator.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 10-15-2009, 05:45 PM
Chris F

Mike's advice is real good. I have done much of what he said and have lost about 50 lbs since March. I work 50-55 hours a week married 2 kids and cannot afford a gym neither. My job is the only exercise I get for now so my loss has been by diet alone.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:00 PM
Shoots like a girl

Amy~ Wow, great advice! THANK YOU!!!! My daughter is 14 and my son is 5. I have friends but all of them are VERY anti-exercising or they smoke. I have one friend who loves to walk and exercise and is also trying to lose weight but lives the next town over so its really hard to get together. Although, we are walking 3 miles on Sunday for her church to fight hunger! I cant wait!!! Girl time is so rare that I really enjoy it when I get it! Ive really been looking at my meals the last couple of weeks and Ive figured out what Im doing wrong, but the husband is not supportive enough to change his habits too so it looks like will power for me. Good news is.... Im not a sweets kind of girl. I love fruit. I only drink 2 diek cokes a day, one with each meal. I eat lunch and dinner only but I am overeating then. You would think that if I have enough will power to quit smoking then dieting should be a piece of cake(so to speak). Im not sorry I quit! I can keep up with my kids now! Its great! Thank you sooo much for the encouragement, honestly I think thats what I need most right now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN View Post
Carla, how old are your kiddos? Is it possible to get a group of other moms together to do an exercise type program like a walking club or something? No kids, no husbands, no worries, just time with the girls. It is very hard to try and find the time to do something like this for yourself but it's sooo important. Hubby and kids will survive while you are gone and you'll be a much happier wife/mom if you feel better. Do it, make it a top priority. You'll have to really sit down and plan meals and snacks. Make a written plan for a week of meals with snacks so that you eat 6 small meals a day with a ton of water thrown in there. I agree with Mike about the sweeteners and sodas. Give it all a try for 6 weeks and see how much better you feel and by then it will be such a habit that you'll hate to skip a day of planned exercise and will feel 'icky' after eating too much crappy food. And don't forget to sleep. Being sleep deprived really makes you crave carbs. Don't keep junk in the house, no sodas and only healthy snacks. Some occasional cheating is fine but if you don't buy it, you won't be able to eat it when tempted.

And don't be shy, feel free to start a thread here for encouragement posting what exercise you did each day and what you ate. Accountability to another is a strong motivator.

~Amy
Old 10-15-2009, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoots like a girl View Post
Amy~ Wow, great advice! THANK YOU!!!! My daughter is 14 and my son is 5. I have friends but all of them are VERY anti-exercising or they smoke. I have one friend who loves to walk and exercise and is also trying to lose weight but lives the next town over so its really hard to get together. Although, we are walking 3 miles on Sunday for her church to fight hunger! I cant wait!!! Girl time is so rare that I really enjoy it when I get it! Ive really been looking at my meals the last couple of weeks and Ive figured out what Im doing wrong, but the husband is not supportive enough to change his habits too so it looks like will power for me. Good news is.... Im not a sweets kind of girl. I love fruit. I only drink 2 diek cokes a day, one with each meal. I eat lunch and dinner only but I am overeating then. You would think that if I have enough will power to quit smoking then dieting should be a piece of cake(so to speak). Im not sorry I quit! I can keep up with my kids now! Its great! Thank you sooo much for the encouragement, honestly I think thats what I need most right now!

If you don't eat often enough throughout the day, you will overeat when you do have a meal. Also, your metabolism gets all screwy. If you teach your body that you will feed it 6 small meals a day, your metabolism will reset and you will burn fat easier. Honestly. Right now your body feels like it may be starved so it stores fat instead of letting you burn it off.

I work with a ton of diabetics in my practice. They are always so worried we plan to starve them with a "diet". We instead give them a meal plan and show them how they will feel perfectly full with it and can satisfy most cravings very easily with some creative thinking and planning.

I'm always up for encouraging someone to be healthy. Food is a passion of mine.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 10-15-2009, 06:31 PM
County Mike

Also great advice from Amy. Small meals and healthy snacks throughout the day will keep your metabolism up. Otherwise you go into "starvation mode" where your body tries to store up resources instead of burn them. That means you'll feel more sluggish and add fat.

WATER WATER WATER - can't be empahsized enough either. Drink lots of water. When you get dehydrated, you also feel tired and lazy. The water also helps keep you from craving junk and too much food. If you get sweet cravings, try some gum. That actually works for me. I always want something sweet after a meal. I'm obviously not hungry but the cravings are strong. Gum usually helps.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:48 PM
Shoots like a girl

All great advice. But what would you suggest someone eat when they arent into breakfast? I drink 2 large cups of black coffee for breakfast then eat around noon. I do LOVE fruits too!~
Old 10-15-2009, 07:08 PM
County Mike

Something light at least, to get your metabolism moving. A small bran muffin (if not loaded with sugar). Some toast with a light spread of peanut butter and even a little jelly is OK. (Don't go overboard with PB or Jelly, just enough for a little flavor). Wash it down with water or with your coffee.

Fruit is always good too. If you love fruit, eat a little for breakfast.