Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Matt Hughes

Old 10-15-2009, 03:17 AM
Administrator

Default BLOG: Update on Chuck

From Matt's blog:
Quote:
My buddy Chuck got eliminated this week from Dancing with the Stars. I was kind of surprised because I thought he did fairly well and a couple of the other contestants did worse. I'm sure Chuck never would have thought that it would be the 2-step that eliminated him; but, I was glad to see that at least he looked like he was having a good time out there.

(Photo from ABC.com)

I also heard that the Simpsons had him as a character on their cartoon.
I'm glad people see Chuck as the face of the UFC, he is one of the good guys that has been there since near the beginning.

I got this forwarded to me and I thought it was a great quote from Adrian Rogers. This has shown up on other sites with the date of 1931; but that's the year Dr. Rogers was born, not the year he made this statement (Wikipedia dates the quote at 1996). I like to try and check out anything that I post, which is not always possible; but I don't like to post something if I'm not at least reasonably sure it's true.

Quote:
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. -Adrian Rogers
I also got this new video from my buddy and thought I would break it out here:
http://www.matt-hughes.com/images/bl...commercial.mp4

Not much going on in the fighting world that I know of, but a dilemma we have at home right now is whether to get the Swine Flu vaccine or not. I'll be paying extra close attention to the comments this week to see what advice everyone has: Get the vaccine or don't?

Finally the Bible verse for this week:

Quote:
Remember Your promise to me, O Lord, it is my only hope. Your promise revives me; it comforts me in all my troubles. (Psalm 119:49-50)
-matt
Old 10-15-2009, 03:39 AM
Chuck

Hey Matt/NateR,

Could you find out where Pat gets his earplugs? I need a new pair for riding my motorcycle and his looked pretty cool in that video.

Thanks!!
Old 10-15-2009, 03:53 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Boomer

I could see this VID!!!

That stinks about Chuck .... wish I could have seen some of the show. Getting booted off by the two step though .... Chuck need to spend more time in Texas!!!!

Swine Flu .... honestly I can't offer much advise on that. That was something that came about since I have been over here and its not anything I've had to deal with. I thought I heard something someone said about the vaccine having adverse affects on some people .... but that is often blow out of proportion because EVERY vaccine will affect a small portion of the population in an adverse way. <shrug>

I'd personally get it with no thought about it ... but if I had kids that would be a different story. I'd look at the causality rate caused by this strain and the age demographic it most impacts. Are more children dying from this then adults ... I'd weigh in the same statics from the normal flu strain. Often media and pharmaceutical companies will saturate society with something in order to drum up sales on a "new" vaccine. But in reality the mortality rate for the normal flu could be just as high and just not reported on. Then I'd compare the percentage of the chances someone has at having the adverse vaccine affects with the percentage of probablity for contracting h1n1. If I get some time I'll try to put all that together.
Boomer is fricking HOT!!!!!

Last edited by Boomer; 10-15-2009 at 04:03 AM.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:32 AM
huan

Here's an interesting article I read on this by a neurosurgeon who was also a medical officer in the military during the first swine flu scare in 1976:

http://www.newsmax.com/health/blaylo...05/210985.html

His conclusion:

"Like SARS and bird flu before it, this swine flu scare is a lot of nonsense.

Just take your high dose vitamin D3 (5000 IU a day), eat a healthy diet and take a few immune boosting supplements (such as beta-1, 3/1, 6 glucan) and you will not have to worry about this flu."

The only advice I can offer personally is to research and pray before you make any decisions.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:36 AM

We both got the seasonal flu shot. I take Vit. C and D everyday, wash hands, avoid crowds where I can. So I will not be getting the swine flu vaccine. There was an article about possible neurological side effects from it, I'll see if I can hunt it down...

Here it is, our friends in the UK could know more:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-America.html

I think Amy will have better insight on this topic.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

We are vaccinating ALL of our pregnant patients. They are at high risk of having really bad complications including death from H1N1. Plus, if mom gets the shot it passes immunity to baby through her and then through her breastmilk after delivery. Small children are another high risk group. Healthy people who are not in a high risk group can choose to decline the vaccine and chance getting sick. My 12 year old son got the H1N1 flu and sailed through just fine with no problems. My daughter has asthma so I will have her vaccinated as soon as her pediatrician offers it. She did not catch it from her brother due to good infection control in the home.

The flu vaccine has been given for many years, since the 50s. The H1N1 we are giving now is made the same way as the seasonal vaccine but just has that strain of the flu in it. It carries the same risks as the seasonal vaccine because it is basically the same thing. There are risks to any vaccine just the same as there are risks to any medication.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 10-15-2009, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
We both got the seasonal flu shot. I take Vit. C and D everyday, wash hands, avoid crowds where I can. So I will not be getting the swine flu vaccine. There was an article about possible neurological side effects from it, I'll see if I can hunt it down...

Here it is, our friends in the UK could know more:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-America.html

I think Amy will have better insight on this topic.

We screen for Guillan-barre every year with the seasonal flu vaccine, not just H1N1.

http://www.cdc.gov/FLU/about/qa/gbs.htm

specifically on the H1N1: http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/vaccination/gbs_qa.htm

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 10-15-2009, 12:24 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

I haven't found one doctor at our place that is getting it. All that I have heard are declining for their families, also. We have one MD who studies and researches everything. He graduated med school early and still constantly studies medicine while practicing. Your basic over achiever. Some of the other docs asked him if he was getting it. His reply, "Absolutely not!" They usually follow suit with whatever he says. lol

I'm not getting it and neither are my children. If you are in a high risk category then I would consider getting it.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:38 PM

My little nephew got the swine flu and my sister and brother-in-law (who's a DR.) rode it out with over the counter meds. It knocked him down pretty good but he wasn't a high risk. I guess if it it's going ot give you piece of mind as a parent then get them the shots. I'll ask my brother-in-law what he thinks and get back to ya.

Too bad about Chuck. I thought he did a great job on the show and probably gained a ton of fans. I thought for sure that Michael Irving was going home before Chuck.

[
Old 10-15-2009, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

Keep in mind guys that really good infection control techniques can reduce your risk of getting the flu hugely. Keep a 3 ft radius distance from any person you suspect has it, the germs cannot go past that even with coughing and sneezing. Wash your hands long enough to sing the alphabet or "twinkle, twinkle little star." Hand sanitizer works if you aren't near a sink, use it especially when out in stores after touching the grocery cart. Lysol is like magic. When my son had the flu he carried the can with him and he had to spray anything he touched. Don't forget to spray things like door knobs, light switches, remote controls, phones, fridge door handle, faucettes, etc. This should be done twice daily by an adult if someone in the home has the flu but older kids can be taught to spray what they touch to reduce the spread of germs if they are sick. Wash all dishes and utensils used by the sick person in the dishwasher, regular sink washing may not be enough.

So use common sense, most people will be fine catching the flu the old fashioned way. Also, they are seeing that those who were alive in 1976 and got the flu that year have some immunity to the strain going around now. It's one of the reasons you aren't hearing of the older population who is normally really at risk yearly getting sick with this one. High risk folks should speak with their doctors and see what is recommended. My three highest risk worries would be pregnant ladies, newborns, and children with compromised immune systems.

~Amy

My son made this for me: